• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TP takes Baby ROTREX to FI FWD win in Time Attack

Nothing in motorsport ever goes exactly to plan!

We drove up the M6 in torrential rain (so bad we debated taping up the induction to reduce the ingestion of water by our vacumn cleaner.

Come the day, a howling gale and brilliant sunshine! First session the stability of the car was found to be compromised badly in two areas

1) The Endless whilst being good were overheating and more worryingly making the back of the car wanting to overtake the front under heavy braking.

2) Our lack of preparation on aerodynamics front bit us. I've been thinking for a while that I needed to tidy up the airflow at the front of the car to prevent lift.

Of course thinking isn't actually doing and I've done nothing. This resulted in copious amounts of wheels spin over the bumps of Knockhill as the car was floating way too much - so much that we actually managed to shear one of the charger mounting bolts.

We also didn't have the big rear wing on so we struggling with backend stability under braking.

Paul did a top notch job to drive through these problems to pick up second in class.

Theres a lot of work to be done before Silverstone in a fortnight - we can't do it all, we don't have the time or the money. We will concentrate on the brakes and aero jobs and work on the fueling, exhaust and power for Brands and Snett. Its not what we would choose, but we only really decided to have a proper go 5 weeks ago.

That said - she ran without missing a heartbeat and we drove her home through a few more monsoons.

Seano

That was one of the most scary drives I have ever had....and don't want to be repeating that in a hurry!:eek::lol:

Anyone that has driven Knockhill will know just how bumpy the track is and with a car running the power we have and as light was all over the place. You hit a braking zone then it would bounce around pull to the side then back end try and come round every time. It did make me brake very early to try and get the front end lined up for the corners but also lost me quite a bit of time. Put the power down and the front was lifting spinning up on the bumps!:D

It seemed a lot easier in the GTR last year as it soaked up the bumps a lot better but this was mad. Paul Hughes even snapped a front suspension strut with the forces of the un-even track.:eek:

It was pretty busy out on track again with about 25 cars out at once so trying to get a clear run without taking avoiding action from a big powered 4WD car bearing down on you at warp speed was also a bit of a problem but hey ho.

I got a better run in qualifying where we worked out I could do a couple of quick laps then have to back off or the brakes would overheat and fade.

Superbattle was a disaster where I couldn't get a clear track then when I did the car just felt really sluggish. I retired before the end only to find the front brakes had been binding and the tensioner bolt on the supercharger had snapped so effectively the drivebelt is slipping under load.

Never mind. Points are on the board and a few jobs...like replacing sheered bolts and brakes again and we should be ready for Silverstone in 2 weeks.

Effort award for the day must go to Paul Hughes and the Buddyclub boys.
After the strut snapping on the hairpin the car was dragged back and a hasty repair was made by cutting down some spanners and welding them to the strut after a lot of hammer abuse to try and straighten it. Not only that they lost a bearing from the driveshaft so improvised with the ring off another spanner with a socket jammed into it!:eek:
They packed the whole UJ with Lithium grease, wrapped it in a bin liner and qualified first then did the final to take the win!:twisted:

Best achievement I think is Dave Thorpe in his NA EP3. Considering its only basic I/H/E mods and about 230bhp he was running same times as I was with nearly double the power!:twisted: And when you look at some previous times to make a comparison you will realise just how good everyone was doing and the level of competition this year!:cool:

Paul West (tp) - Rotrex EP3 - 1:04.333
Dave Thorpe (DaveT) - NA EP3 - 1:04.357

Previous drivers:
Simon Miskelly DC5 - 1:07.723
Dixon Cheng DC2 - 108.099
Olly Crawford - Rotrex EP3 - 1:04.525

jesus, thats awesome. you sure it's not the stig in the n/a? :lol:

I do think Dave might have been cutting the corners slightly, or tied a bungee to the back of my car and that's why it felt so sluggish. :lol:

Going well there mate, I'll come up to Silverstone and watch ya in a couple of weeks as I've got some free weekends at last!

The Endless not performing then, how do they compare to the AP units on price? What pads are you running? Top work indeed from the BC gang :cool:

Well in one respect they were over performing, the front of the car was braking too hard for the standard rears! Pads - we're not too sure what they are, but if you worked 'em hard they got the disks very hot and bothered, but it was far to bumpy to drive them like that. There's an Endless fella in Sweden that will make pads to the receipe you require for your application. I suspect these were for a lighter less powerful car perhaps without ABS, but maybe with adjustable bias?

I don't know what the prices of the TDi AP brake kits will be yet, but I can say that the 4 pots will be very competitive with the Stoptechs and the rears will be around the price of the Powerslots (but you will be able to get replacement rotors). Expect the 6 pots to about £250 more. The 6 pots and big rears should finally be on for Silverstone and then the 4 pots will be done. After that the kit for the FN2 will be crafted.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from a fun filled day at Silverstone that wasn't quite trouble free. Car seemed to running fine in the first couple of sessions, then we had a CV boot split which wasn't much fun with the heat in the front hubs/brakes. Still Steve hastily improvised a tweak with a plastic bag, a couple of tie wraps and a bit of duct tape. TP cut short the next session complaining that the handling had just gone nuts. Looks like some issues with the nearside hub/wishbone and general problems with the front dampers - we will need to get the car on the ramps to work out exactly what has happened - suffice to say it won't hold a set.

After that TP carefully (and bravely) piloted a somewhat wayward Baby ROTREX to second in class and pick up a bit more silverware for the new TDi North Trophy cabinet.

So event 3 of 5 complete, Paul's still leading the class. There a lot of work planned for the next month to really get the car upto full speed - now we have some unplanned work to do as well.

Seano

Well done to all, last I saw there were lots of legs sticking out from under a silver EP3 :(

Its not obvious exactly what's gone on - oh and there's a duff track rod end in the mix as well.

I have a feeling that the bearing may have collapsed - they have done a fairly hard 91K and things have got very hot because of our brake issues. There's certainly some very ominous clunks and drones.

Something is moving at the bottom - we just don't know what... yet.

Top marks to Paul for nursing her round this afternoon and getting her home to Warrington complete with silverware (Even if I bailed out with his wife to drive his FN2). Spraying the 'Champagne' was also a good move - I made the mistake of taking a swig.

Sorry that the car wasn't capable of going any quicker today - we will. Dave T went great guns in his NA EP3 today to make up - top fella!

Seano

Good seeing you guys again, did not look good when I saw it up in the air with loads of legs poking out of it. Glad Paul managed to nurse it home and well done Dave as well.

Its is a good friendly form of motorsport where people usually respect each others efforts and cars. I would have thought that your teg would go pretty well and you would have fun but I think you would have to accept that something like the the BuddyClub DC5 car is going to hammer you in your class - afterall it is a quasi asian series touring car with loads of spares and 5 mechanics!

Why not try a "one hit wonder" entry at one of the last couple of rounds - about £250 quid a pop. Off the top of my head you would need a race suit, helmet, neck brace, harness , fire extinguisher and a set of R888's (slightly subsidised) to do it - you wont need a cage in Club. I'm sure TP & Dave T would help and pull you round to get you started. Brands in a month would probably be better than Snett for you where the big Club cars (Skylines and Evos) will be hugely fast and intimidating on the Straight.

I enjoyed the efforts of the guy with blue EK9 in Public Track Time on Sunday = awesome and sounded great.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo hoo the AP's are finally coming! We also have to replace a bearing or two - the binding brakes and subsequent heat really took their toll. And theres a track rod arm too!

More importantly there is a suspension change coming - no its arrived (I spent Sunday checking, cleaning and greasing them all). Our current suspension is knackered after less than 300 track miles.
I've sold a fifth kidney and bought the AST setup from this car

[video=youtube;pMFQLOqnFgY]old link autoupdated[/video]

Mummy, there's hardly any pain at all.

Seano

Back