• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TypeGRRR's CR-X siR - Update: 22/04/15 POWER

Glad its sorted Chris, hopefully not too heavy on the wallet too.

Like the pic a lot.

Also the number plater is wicked :lol: .

so what had to be fixed in the end out of interest chris? was it a gearbox rebuild, or did you get one from a breaker, and new clutch etc?

Well initially, Tom suspected it might just have been the diff bearings and seals, but after replacing them, there was still a bit of play in the o/s driveshaft. Luckily one of Tom's guys had a gearbox lying around so ended up swapping the diff over, as well as the casing (mine had a damaged front mount). He also swapped the 5 gear/reverse syncro as it was better than mine.

As the gearbox was out, it was silly not to change the clutch, so this was replaced with a new 3 piece Exedy clutch kit. The rear engine mount was broken so this was replaced also...

The gearbox feels great now, tbh it was pretty good before despite the problems, hopefully I wont have to worry about anything gearbox related for a very long time.

..hopefully not too heavy on the wallet too.

It was... :(

UPDATE: After a productive last couple of weeks, fitting my new head unit, boot struts, installing door solenoids to have remote central locking and refurbing my wiper stalks, I've just taken it for a quick spin and the brakes have failed. I mean FFS. :lol::rolleyes:

I'm sticking with it, it's almost fun to see what goes next. Once I've replaced everything, I'm sure it'll be fine... :lol:

I had this same problem with my RS1800, honestly this wont stop. Cars like this are cursed from the word go.
I fixed the water pump, gearbox went, fixed the gearbox, alternator went, fixed the alternator the gearbox went.....it goes on. My fiesta is now sitting at the bottom of my garden :lol:

Took it to my local garage this morning, it was fine on the way, but it is only a few miles away...

They told me it was likely to be the fluid and would need a fluid change, so I left it with them. They rang me up a few minutes ago and told me one of the rear brakes was heavily binding and the pads were shot.

They've recommended I change the rear discs and pads, do a fluid change and they'll see what they can do with the binding caliper... :rolleyes:

Well they left a message on my answerphone earlier saying the car is complete and ready to pick up. :smt047 New rear discs, pads and fluid, I don't know what they did to the caliper, I'll have to ask when I pick it up, quite a common fault I now understand though.

I think it might be an idea to organise some breakdown cover for the first time in my life... :p

Update: New Suspension

For once, an update that isn't a problem. :lol: Received these goodies through the post today. :D

Meister R Zeta S coilovers

crx_meisterR.jpg

crx_meisterR_2.jpg

Cyberspeed LCAs

crx_cyberspeed_lca.jpg

Nice man, you can get it handling like you want now.

Whats the power like on it, does it suffice?? I mean coming from a DC5 to your CRX SRi is a drop in power but somtimes in smaller/lighter cars is not so noticeable.

Whats the power like on it, does it suffice?? I mean coming from a DC5 to your CRX SRi is a drop in power but somtimes in smaller/lighter cars is not so noticeable.
In reality it's probably quite a bit slower, but it feels as fast and certainly no less fun to drive. They're 160bhp standard and weigh no more than 1000kg, so power to weight is respectable for a 20 year old car.

One of the CR-X's I drove when looking to buy had MeisterR coilovers and it was sublime. It also had LSD and I'm hoping that wasn't the difference.

And stop calling it an SRi, it's an siR :lol:

Back