• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TypeGRRR's CR-X siR - Update: 22/04/15 POWER

I'm down TGM tomorrow for the Cam belt, tensioner and water pump. Hopefully Tom will have enough time to fit the suspension too... [-o<

I'm down TGM tomorrow for the Cam belt, tensioner and water pump. Hopefully Tom will have enough time to fit the suspension too... [-o<

LOL, you're down there all the time mate.

I'm down there on the 17th, so I'll probably see you then :lol: .

Very nice car, look forward to seeing it with the coilovers fitted! I had a H reg UK 1.6 VT, absolutly loved that car the way it drove and the low seating position. Always fancied a real clean SiR though. Mayby in a year or so as a 2nd car.

These cars are awesome mate, and you have found an absolute minter.

I had one back in 1997 and loved every minute in it. Sometimes i wished i had never sold it and it was a really genuine car with no crash damage.

CRX.jpg

that is what the red bulls are missing, a nice set of TSW venoms. You should suggest it :)

UPDATE:Suspension fitted, new problems + new bling

Well I took my car to TGM yesterday to have my cambelt, tensioner and waterpump done. I also took along my MeisterRs coilovers and Cyberspeed LCAs to be fitted if Tom had enough time to do them.

After taking many bits to pieces, he discovered my crankshaft pulley had a chunk out of it and would be best to replace that before changing the cam belt etc to avoid further labour charges. So ideally I need to find a secondhand replacement. My alt, a/c and p/s belts had seen better days, so these will need to be replaced too.

It was mentioned the cam belt did look in VGC with writing still emblazoned along it and the waterpump looked shiny and new. However as I have no history of it being changed, I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. So it's going back in on the 5th July. :lol:

As I had time booked, Tom went about fitting the coilovers and LCAs. He found a few more bushes that needed replacing in the process. He also ran into issues fitting the RARB to the new LCAs, which I'm currently trying to resolve with Jerrick from MeiserR. After adjusting the ride height and setting the dampers to the middle of their range, I must say I'm very pleased with the results. My first thoughts are poop to a blanket. :twisted:

It looks like this car is continuing to cost me a fair whack, however this was made slightly easier after it returned 40mpg on the last tank. :cool:

And I also picked up a bit of bling, as my rad cap had seen better days…

spoon_rad_cap.jpg

So all in all, after travelling hundreds of miles looking for the perfect example, you've picked a bit of a pig mechanically :lol:.

I suppose that's part of the "fun" when buying an older car. I have no doubt that it will be a minter when you're finished with it. I just hope it doesn't kill your wallet too much more now.

Oh and avoid those motorcyclists at roundabouts! :lol:

Are these common problems on cars of this age or have you just been unlucky?
I think a bit of both. Obviously the gearbox was BAD, but I think I've just been unlucky that everything has happen at once. :rolleyes:

I dread to think what you've spent so far dude, but it'll great once it's all done & dusted.
More than what I paid for the car. :lol: I'm in EK9 and 98 spec DC2 money now.:eek::( Once it's done though, I'll be happy...

These will be waiting for me at TGM when I next return. :D

meisterR_brake_kit.jpg

MeisterR Big Brake kit

Sales Blurb:

2x High Performance Pillar Vane Brake Disk with Grooves:
The brake disks are casted using high performance FC Alloy then heat treated to increase strength and reduce chance of warping. The "Pillar Vane" design allows the disk to cool faster than the OEM "Straight Vane" design, and the groves on the surface increase coefficient of friction and helps clean the brake pads during hard usage.

2x Cast Caliper Carrier:
The one piece cast caliper carrier ensure that strength are maintain through out the structure. It takes out any potential weak point from using "bolt on" extended bracket that are provided by many inferior brake kit. It also ensure that each kit will fit perfect every time.

Meister Xross-Sport MX550 Pads: Designed for Fast Road usage. Operational Temperature up to 550°C. Acceptable Noise and Dust Level. Good Cold Bite with Fast Fade Recovery.

nice crx i love them they are awsome so wish i had the room and money to have one as a race car hmmm one day lol

some nice bits going on hopfully get to look at it better on 26th as only popped into last meet for 10 mins :)

yo chris does it smell like an old car? you know how old cars smell funny.

It's got a mild scent, although I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The base of the passenger seat definitely smells of hot JDM lady parts though. :brows:

sweeeeet. usually old cars smell of musky old interior, you know the carpets need a jolly good scrub. i know you are mr car cleaner so i expect you have cleaned it all up but i was just wondering.

Back