• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TypeGRRR's CR-X siR - Update: 22/04/15 POWER

29/05/2012 - Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust fitted

So I had my exhaust fitted at TGM on Saturday, the fitting was fairly straight forward. Ken had to bend a few of the hangers on the car to get it sitting nice and straight, however it was more a case of bending them back to their original position, as the Scorpion exhaust that I put on previously needed all the help it could get, to hang straight.

From the moment I unpacked it from the box, I thought my god that's going to be loud! Swapping out a piddly 45mm centre section and 50mm back box, for a 60mm system with 100mm tip. :eek:

exhaust-comparison1.jpg

exhaust-comparison2.jpg

My worries quickly vanished though, when I started it up as it was barely audible. Much to my surprise, a quick road test revealed it was actually quieter than the setup I'd removed. The note was similar, perhaps a little deeper (a more powerful sound) at low revs.

The overwhelming thing I noticed though, which I was hoping to achieve, was the car's new ability to rev. Before fitting the exhaust, it was easy to gauge when to change up to the next gear, as the power felt like it was tailing off a little, fitted however it keeps pulling, so much so I hit the limiter several times on the road test, even though I was making a conscious effort after the first time not to.

All in all, I'm fairly happy with the exhaust, I couldn't ask for more in performance terms, though I will miss the noise of the Scorpion in VTEC, plus felt the old system was a bit better on the eye.

exhaust-comparison3.jpg

On another note, whilst I was there, I got Ken to replace my snapped gear lever, as I had manage to snap the knob off in my hand, after a keen gear change at Santa Pod. I bought some ES shifter bushes to help with the gear change, as I'd read a few reviews with people raving on about them. I too, am now a massive believer, the change is sooooooo good now, the difference infact almost overshadows the exhaust fitting, not bad for £15 from Ebay!

Broken Knob

gear-knob.jpg

Replacement Lever

gear-lever1.jpg

I decided to get rid of the marks, by sanding and polishing it, which turned out rather well. :cool:

gear-lever2.jpg

It now feels like a brand new gearbox, thanks to these :D

gear-linkage-bushs.jpg

I like the look of that exhaust. When I read 100mm at the beginning I was cringing, but it looks good on the car. :smt023

Cheers, it's definitely growing on me, it's infinitely better than the huge fart can that came with the car originally.

Are these the 1.6i 16v iVtec? I had a Honda Concerto Blaise many many many moons ago. Which was basically a Rover 214 body with the 1.6i 16v iVtec Engine and Gear box thrown in, and Honda Badge's on.

I must admit, the original tail pipe looked better. But that doesn't meant to say I dislike this one. Car is awesome either way.

Are these the 1.6i 16v iVtec? I had a Honda Concerto Blaise many many many moons ago. Which was basically a Rover 214 body with the 1.6i 16v iVtec Engine and Gear box thrown in, and Honda Badge's on.
I don't know too much about the Concerto to be honest, but I'd imagine that would have the D series engine, not a B series. I have the first gen JDM B16A, DOHC 1.6 16v VTEC, with PFI.

I must admit, the original tail pipe looked better. But that doesn't meant to say I dislike this one. Car is awesome either way.
No arguments here, but I decided on performance over looks in the end.

Nice update Chris, loving the look of that exhaust, I thought 100mm was going to be humongous, but it looks real good man ;)

Looks nice man.

Ladbroke Grove in London, should be, good park that.

Used to be anyway when I used to skate it, probably full of scene kids and scooters now though.

Still there guys, the Supperclub is there too now & looks banging.

Nice little updates Chris, although I will have to break the norm and say I actually much prefer the Tanabe to the original Scorpion system. :)

I smirked at the b-pipe comparison photo too; 60mm is much better. ;)

Oh, and congratulations on the feature by the way. :smt023

Oh I am more than happy to appreciate a nice low burble as well as an Earth shattering rasp :lol: But noise aside, I think it's a very attractive pipe you're sporting there.... ;)

Lmfao (at the suggestiveness, not the exhaust). :p

I'll also point out that I've always been a lurker on your thread, but have just noticed that that was my first post :? Apologies for the delay, haha.

AJ, the guy who shot my car for Total Honda, just posted this on my Facebook. It's my new favourite pic of my car. :cool:

crx-6two1.jpg

Back