• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

A decent wash! Used Gyeon bathe+ shampoo and also carpro reload to top the coating up
97f54d5f42c61345c5ea29143242143d.jpg
906af2a631ed5bf67d2fa16eaf544037.jpg
d5dcb11988232c1c8d721a4558a97cb1.jpg
2de1a74890dfff7f77fe8fb8ef02be6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

One week and 174 miles in.

The car is a bit too good, I find myself in licence bend over territory too often and that is in the wet, there is a tad bit of torque steer nothing more than a minor annoyance and minor tram lining, way better than the RS. Worth noting I have only run with the TC off.
Comfort mode is excellent around the roads I play on, but lacks the steering and throttle response in Sport and R, I have used R on my little test track and it is fine, much better than my Elise with the dampers on full soft although I think it is quicker in sport on the road. I've yet to use the full rev range I'm going to wait until 500 miles. On the road the only way you will see oversteer is either going backwards towards the verge or on tight hairpins, I managed to get the back to wiggle in the wet with the TC off but nothing more, it just grips. Its almost like it has rear wheel steering the way the rear end comes around, the front bites and the rear end dances so you exit a corner in full attack mode, understeer only if you punch the throttle to early or in too higher gear and that little light flashes (you know the one that says I'm here to keep you safe), wheels spin a bit then the diff does its thing and gathers itself before the change up to third with a bit more wheel spin and nervous pull on the steering. I think that is due to the tyres being quite new, anyone else noticed this.
If being honest Im 50/50 on the engine, the turbo makes fast driving effortless but I miss having to select the right gear and working an engine, the reality is Honda have made a VTEC engine suitable for everyone, leave it in fourth and you will find yourself on most roads as quick as you need too. I really can't see me rarely using the full rev range other than the odd lap or two, which is a shame I used to love the howl of a VTEC at 9000rpm in my old EK9.
What a gearbox, Honda should make gearboxes for every manufacturer simply stunning, coming from an agricultural gearbox in Lotus where you need to plan your changes carefully and neatly, the honda box is notchy and perfectly weighted.

I find the seating position a bit too high, a minor point but coming from Lotus cars where you are largely sat on the floor this is more of a personal preference. I'm really happy with the ergonomics and don't find the controls that tricky to use. Visibility is really good, however on circuit it may take time to find that exact apex as I can't seem to get the angle from the front window quite right.

It's a bit thirsty managed an real time 21.2mpg, no way I will get near the quoted figures but then this is not a commuting car for me which actually is shame as I drove to work today and found the whole experience excellent, how ever the final B road is littered with hazards that will wreck a 20" tyre, like the 997 did today. :(

Taking the family out tomorrow and my 8yo is set on doing a YouTube review on the car, I'm more than happy that they will enjoy the experience as much as I do.

I would like a bit more exhaust noise, think going to get the Remus with the valve, to open and close as I seem fit, other than that what a fine car Honda have built, the looks are rapidly growing on me and my work colleagues admittedly younger than me think it looks great.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Comfort mode is excellent around the roads I play on, but lacks the steering and throttle response in Sport and R
I find the seating position a bit too high
I like the Comfort mode for doing motorway miles, although I rarely do this type of journey. Around town the steering feels over assisted like you say so I stick with the standard Sport mode. Funnily enough when I first picked the car up I thought the steering felt too tight in Sport mode having been used to my previous car, but now I find it absolutely perfect.
Regarding the seating position and coming from a Mk.3 Focus ST, I immediately felt that I was sitting lower in the Type R. I like the feel of that now and just see it as normal. :)

Yesterday I ordered a K&N replacement panel filter.....I am not sure if anyone has one already or had any experience?

It seemed to please the FK2 boys, so we shall see. I also bought a transformer badge to go next to the Civic badge - cos #chav.

Not arrived yet, but will do...!

I just read on Dreams Twitter that they are releasing a Tunning box tomoz - 395BHP and 390 lb/ft..... Nice. (Edit - its a piggy back thing which tricks your car into thinking its not making enough boost so gives more - boo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back