• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

Do me a favour, ask tom about lower seat rail
For an FN2. Purchase or fabricated. Always feel
I'm
Too high

Yes, it was most humorous whilst lifting the wheels out of your boot. "How hot did you get these? They're blue!"

:lol:

Sorry Chris, I forgot to ask! Besides, Tom wasn't there anyway.

I've now got the car back and all is working as it should.

New engine oil in (10w-60 PETRONAS, it burned through the 0W-40 Mobil 1 in had in before), new gear oil (MTF with KAAZ additive), a new speed sensor for the gearbox and no fault found with the fuel sender. I've only driven it home so it's on half a tank now, I'll have to see how the gauge behaves. Tom said that by taking apart all the contacts it may cure it, we'll have to see.

Once I got it home I put the track wheels back on as I've sold the bronze Fighters. The bloody jack fell off the subframe, slight moment of panic as it was close to the sump. Turns out it's hit the bottom of the bracket that holds the front bar on that has the bonnet catch on so the bonnet wasn't shutting properly. Cue 14 stone later by me standing on the fu*ker and it seems to have mostly fixed it.

Cue 14 stone later by me standing on the fu*ker and it seems to have mostly fixed it.

hqdefault.jpg

Had the car detailed today by Jimmer on the DC5 forum. He's starting out doing other people's cars after doing it as a hobby. Really pleased with the results! Also renewed the side decals as they were past their best.

5d2efc31dbbdc8ec37523c7446308759.jpg

94664452f81bf922477cfed780af1d63.jpg

d2232f0a93a3c4c40be4f945cb0f5599.jpg

e00001bd3d70787f818916ee17cb3822.jpg

6e797794c85e4f643f0b1f311bbf8eab.jpg

853addf94ce003c13ffd2fcb19c82057.jpg

0aa4b16c305659d107fe86e86189a034.jpg

Also cleared out and sorted the garage so I could fit the car in. I've been meaning to do it for ages because there's new houses going up so there's dust everywhere.

6f1ba9c3aafe13837662b42be03d78c4.jpg

Fits nicely.

0f63a37cf18f8a53f5c7b672ddcff8bb.jpg

I've had the house two and a half years and the garage has always been full of junk so I'm proper chuffed with it.

As per my other thread I had an issue with the RBC throttle body adaptor which was sorted. Very productive day!

Man that's clean. Haven't seen Jammy for ages, he's one of the good lads on the DC5 forum.

Some may know from the random thoughts thread and Facebook that my car suffered a gearbox failure while at Castle Combe the other week.

The day started well and I took the car out with my mrs for the first session. I like to drive a few sessions at around 80% to get everything screaming hot, adjust the tyre pressures etc. The car felt good, there was only a few laps when I turned into Camp and the rear of the car completely broke away. I ended up in a spin and through some luck I managed to keep it on the black stuff. usually if you spin you are black flagged, they let me carry on and I'm not sure why but hey ho. As I pulled away trying to leave my shame behind I noticed a load of smoke coming from the rear of the car. I suspected it was just tyre smoke from the spin. I did maybe another lap or two but the car felt awful, no confidence in it under braking, I kept missing gears and turn in felt poor. Eventually I noticed a loud whine coming from the front of the car. I was at the end of the lap so decided to pull in. As I was coming in, I had no gears so ended up having to be coasted in. Being a trained internet mechanic, I opened the bonnet and noticed smoke coming from the pressure release valve on the gearbox. Knowing at this point it was terminal, I got towed to the car park and arranged recovery to TGM.

I did notice that the little rubber valve was missing off the pressure valve, plus there was gearbox oil everywhere. Then I looked through some pics and noticed this:

K6jlkhe.jpg

I took that photo the day before Combe as I had to refit the cold air feed to the Mugen intake. What I've circled is what I believe to be the release valve without the rubber bit. Why it is missing I'm not sure.

I think what's happened is that due to this hole I ended up with gearbox oil on the rear tyres. This would explain the spin and the impending death of the gearbox due to it overheating.

Tom hasn't pulled it apart yet, or if he has he hasn't rang me to tell me what's left of the inside of it. I just hope my diff and final drive are salvageable.

Sad to hear :(

When you get it back together will you bad adding a gearbox temp gauge or do you think that this was sufficiently one-off not to bother?

Bad times :(

Hopefully it isn't going to costs masses to repair

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sad to hear :(

When you get it back together will you bad adding a gearbox temp gauge or do you think that this was sufficiently one-off not to bother?
I think it was more of a freak occurrence if anything to be honest.

I must admit I've been eyeing up an FD2.

Brutal mate but at least things stayed together and the spin didn't wreck the car etc etc. Sounds like it's on the way to fixed now anyway :D

Yeah, found a gearbox, should be at TGM on Thursday then the game of putting the car back to standard begins.

Back