• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 "real" top speed?

Never going to happen, even with a shoddy Odometer.

You're probably looking at between 250-300hp at the fly to hit 160mph in a FWD car.

I understand 200hp is insufficient for reaching the speedo's limit, but I can't really imagine you'll need an additional 100hp for doing that last 15mph, even though I realise the air resistance increases exponentially. Is there anybody out here who ever bothered to try the top speed with a 'tuned' setup (hondata, exhaust...)

I had 156 on GPS with a 250 bhp DC5 which is more slippy than an EP3. I'm sure that was downhill slightly too.

I understand 200hp is insufficient for reaching the speedo's limit, but I can't really imagine you'll need an additional 100hp for doing that last 15mph, even though I realise the air resistance increases exponentially. Is there anybody out here who ever bothered to try the top speed with a 'tuned' setup (hondata, exhaust...)

Upto 150mph is relatively easy in most cars. After that drag from the increased airspeed plays a massive factor and your bhp requirements jump up to get any extra speed.

If you look at a lot of top end cars and sports cars, their top speeds are usually around the 170-180mph mark. These cars are far more powerful and a lot more aerodynamic than our beloved breadvans.

standard.jpg

Impressive as there's over half a tank of juice too! Where is the foot on dash?

as i said gamblor it is a library picture from wikipedia. it couldn't be one of my cars as you astutely pointed out; it has more than 20 quid of petrol in it.

he's got still 20Mph short rossy! Am I seeing right that guy drives this speed at 5°C temperature? That's not too safe to do :)

At least he drives two handed, youtube is filled with wannebe's racing one hand on top of the wheel and the other ot the gearknob, wondering how they ended up a vegetable in a wheelchair sooner or later...

Impressive as there's over half a tank of juice too! Where is the foot on dash?

If you look closely the fuel needle has a bit of motion blur... IMO seconds earlier it was just shy of a full tank.

Why? It was completely stable.

Because when I was approaching those sort of speeds in my EP3 it was very dramatic, front end was light, massive revs in 6th, horrendous wind noise and could generally tell that the car wasnt meant to driven that fast and it wasnt a pleasant experiance really.

I'm not doubting it can be done, but when I compare it to when I was doing something higher than that in a V8 M3 on the way to Le Mans, that felt like it was a normal daily trip.

Sorry to bring this back but while sorting my photos I found this. Was my mates EP3, basically standard

IMG_0680.jpg

Back