• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

hi folks.
I just reserved a black FK8 type R GT with 3700 miles on it, for £31k, registered in 2017.
I am now getting cold feet, having realised the depreciation hit on the car after 1 year, and thinking of getting my £500 deposit refunded.

So my question is this.
How much do you think i would be able to sell the car for in 1 years time, with say, 15k miles on the clock?
I think if i'm going to lose more than £5k on the car i'm going to forget it, and buy a used M240i.
You said in a later post that you are "looking at this the wrong way"....and you absolutely are if your number 1 concern is how much you will be able to sell the car for in 1 years time.
You are considering buying a used car which has depreciated already, although as others have said the car is overpriced at 31k.
You don't say what reg it is...but if its a 17 which will have originally been a demonstrator it is even more overpriced.
To give you an idea of depreciation....I bought my car in September 2017 and it has currently covered 2700 miles, but the trade in value right now will be at absolute best 28k....although most dealers would need to be pushed hard to offer this.
I never bought this car thinking about how much money I would lose during my period of ownership....I bought it purely with my heart. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say is that the BMW 140/240s are quick depreciating cars,over 20% discount is available when new and there are a lot of them about,so when used they will still keep dropping.
They are discrete cars with a big and easy surge of speed,if that's what you want,but their general ride and handling are poor compared to an FK8,unless you spend loads on mods,which is money you will never get back.
Your choice,but a low mileage FK8 should be £28/29k,and to me is a far better driver's car.

Your choice,but a low mileage FK8 should be £28/29k,and to me is a far better driver's car.

Agreed, if I were shopping for cars I'm not sure the BMW and Honda would be on the same list. The M140i/M240i are relaxing cruisers, very comfy and effortless to drive. The FK8 is a grab it by the scruff of the neck sort of car. 15k miles seems quite high so perhaps the BMW may be the better option - just be weary with their list prices as there's huge discounts to be had. Also don't forget that options are quite expensive.

"Grab it by the scruff of the neck" is the perfect analogy of the FK8, well done Chris. To drive it fast and get the most out of it you literally need to be in the mood and indeed grab it sometimes by the short and curlies......its not a point and squirt car like say an RS3 or AMG45, driver needs to be committed...

Called em up this morning –got my reserve deposit refunded.

The attitude of the salesman (Thomas) was shocking – this was Vertu Honda in Derby –

I’d like my deposit back please.

“why”

Just want to take my time, consider a few other cars, test drive a few bmw’s.

“let me speak to my manager……… that’s fine, will be refunded in 5 days, can I ask why you’ve changed your mind”

Like I said…want to take my time.

“but you seemed happy, the numbers were right, why….”

The car is overpriced for the amount of miles its on”

“but you said the price was fine, and all the other demonstrators will have increasing miles too”

(irrelevant and nonsensical…..if we assume demonstrator cars are all creeping up miles at similar rates….it would still make the Derby car overpriced).

Look I don’t want to get in an argument about it, please refund me, thank you. (said as politely as I could muster)

“…….hmm…yeh……(sighs and mutters something under breath).” puts phone down.

I mean seriously – what is that??? Unprofessional, uncalled for, this is business. If they cannot accept that there are other type R’s nationwide with significantly lower miles being offered at the same price…..thats on them, not me!

If I ever do buy a type R, it ain’t gonna be from Derby that’s for sure….

In the mean time I’m gonna go test drive an E92 M3 and an M240i, see how they stack up. If they don’t feel as ‘track ready’ as the FK8 does then I’ll go for the Honda.

You need the LSD on the M240i for it to be track ready, plus BMW brakes tend to be pants for anything other than road work even on their M cars.

You need the LSD on the M240i for it to be track ready, plus BMW brakes tend to be pants for anything other than road work even on their M cars.

Yup I've been looking at low mileage m235i's too then adding 2k for the diff from Birds.
My main issue with the beemers is suspension and whether it will feel stiff enough. I love the type R for its borderline race car stiffness and quick steering, but I've no idea if the M lite or even M cars are like that. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't want to spend yet another 2k upgrading suspension, probably brakes too...

Yup I've been looking at low mileage m235i's too then adding 2k for the diff from Birds.
My main issue with the beemers is suspension and whether it will feel stiff enough. I love the type R for its borderline race car stiffness and quick steering, but I've no idea if the M lite or even M cars are like that. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't want to spend yet another 2k upgrading suspension, probably brakes too...

If you want it for track then I'd choose the FK8 over a baby M car any time, even some of their M offerings aren't as good for track work as the FK8 is.

Having just come from an M240i I would say that after market springs and dampers are definitely required for fastish road and track use. The stock dampers with the passive suspension are pretty awful and adaptive is not much better,

A popular choice is the Bilstein B12 kit comprising Eibach springs and B8 dampers - costs ~ £1000 fitted. Or you could go for the B16 adjustable dampers, but that's probably nearer double the price.

If you test drive one make sure you try some challenging corners that you are familiar with and make your own mind up!

Having just come from an M240i I would say that after market springs and dampers are definitely required for fastish road and track use. The stock dampers with the passive suspension are pretty awful and adaptive is not much better,

A popular choice is the Bilstein B12 kit comprising Eibach springs and B8 dampers - costs ~ £1000 fitted. Or you could go for the B16 adjustable dampers, but that's probably nearer double the price.

If you test drive one make sure you try some challenging corners that you are familiar with and make your own mind up!

Agreed,but also bear in mind that with the BM you will get worse seats,poorer steering,and if you go for the manual,a worse gear change...
Just saying...;)

Buy a 2nd hand fk2 for 22-23 they buy yourself something else with your leftovers

lol. I had an FK2 for a year and 15k miles courtesy of Honda (long story). infact here's me driving it for the first time ever on a cold december at donnington back in 2015. (ignore my mate shouting his head off, he's a youtuber, its his job).
no doubt, i had fun. i'm actually laughing the whole time whilst taking Craner curves at 100+.

in all honesty when i tried the FK8 on Sunday, it was very familiar to me....to me its just an FK2 with a much...Much better driving position. (i can actually see the speedo).
but when i sat in it, and drove it for a bit, trying to ignore the sales patter, in all honesty - i didn't feel a twinge in my pants.
But maybe i won't with the M3 or an M235i with 4k of mods - maybe neither of them are as capable on a track - i don't know. Maybe i should spend £20k on a used Radical SR3, and keep my Citroen C4 diesel.

i'm in no rush to buy, so i'll take my time and weigh everything up...

[video=youtube_share;6czjOzlAkaM]https://youtu.be/6czjOzlAkaM[/video]

Hi vis man is extremely irritating (I suppose most “YouTubers” are )

You seem to handle the car great. The fk8 is more compliant when on the limit (not as crashy at the rear)

lol. I had an FK2 for a year and 15k miles courtesy of Honda (long story). infact here's me driving it for the first time ever on a cold december at donnington back in 2015. (ignore my mate shouting his head off, he's a youtuber, its his job).
no doubt, i had fun. i'm actually laughing the whole time whilst taking Craner curves at 100+.

in all honesty when i tried the FK8 on Sunday, it was very familiar to me....to me its just an FK2 with a much...Much better driving position. (i can actually see the speedo).
but when i sat in it, and drove it for a bit, trying to ignore the sales patter, in all honesty - i didn't feel a twinge in my pants.
But maybe i won't with the M3 or an M235i with 4k of mods - maybe neither of them are as capable on a track - i don't know. Maybe i should spend £20k on a used Radical SR3, and keep my Citroen C4 diesel.

i'm in no rush to buy, so i'll take my time and weigh everything up...

[video=youtube_share;6czjOzlAkaM]https://youtu.be/6czjOzlAkaM[/video]

If you want to win at trackdays buy a track car Caterham, Radical etc, if you want a fast trackday car that is good on the road then buy a Lotus, if you want a car to occasionally use on track buy a road car.

A standard road car on track is a compromise be it FK2 or FK8, Megane RS, Range Rover, 570s, 488...., it is really daft to buy a brand new car and spend 4K on mods imho to 'improve it for track' the reality is you will make it worse on the road. Spend the 4K on training you how to drive.

Oh and you are turning in too early at Craner;)

yes, you are an expert driver and much quicker than me, please take note everyone before MattC starts feeling inadequate again :rolleyes:
how about we settle this at palmersport? PM me.

yes, you are an expert driver and much quicker than me, please take note everyone before MattC starts feeling inadequate again :rolleyes:
how about we settle this at palmersport? PM me.

Lol, get over yourself. The point I was making was spend your money on driver training, whether you choose to take my advice is up to you, you pay me to come to Palmersport then I will come, frankly I don't have the time or inclination to give up my family time to prove who is fastest, I left this sort of thing at school 27 years ago.

You don't know anything about me or my experience or lack of as you assume, I'm happy to admit I have something to learn on circuit despite 200+ trackdays and raced competitively. I don't claim to be a better driver than anybody but if you can't take some friendly advice then that's fine.

Back