• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

All, quick question if I may.

The Vtec system on the FK8 is different to the old, ek9 ep3 etc as there is no cam change at higher revs, but what exactly does it do then on the 8? Tried to google it and did read it somewhere but appreciate any info....

I found this a few months ago:
http://blog.jepistons.com/comparing-hondas-new-k20c-head-to-the-last-ten-k20a-series-

Didn't help that much, since I still don't understand how "VTEC only on the exhaust side" works or when does it engage

Have we anyone on here yet who's gone to town with mods and Hondata or Ktuner? I feel past the honeymoon period now and the cars starting to feel not as fast, always happens me and then I get the itchy fingers, but the warranty side of things are holding me back at the moment.

hello again! No, we are all warranty friendly on here I think...! Seen a few at Dream getting done, but do not think they are forum members. I know what you mean though, I am clucking for a bit more torque and an exhaust note.....Dream are doing 7Mod tuning where the map builds in pops and bangs for the Fk8...

Loads over on...yep you guessed it Civicx are doing it as they believe they are protected by some Law where Honda have to prove the mod caused the fault. I know we sort of have that....but I am not brave enough to try..

I almost want to fast forward a few years, out of warranty, bosh Xmas list sorted for a few years

Loads over on...yep you guessed it Civicx are doing it as they believe they are protected by some Law where Honda have to prove the mod caused the fault. I know we sort of have that....but I am not brave enough to try..

I almost want to fast forward a few years, out of warranty, bosh Xmas list sorted for a few years

I remember Honda saying back in 2015/16 for the fk2 that any modification is ok under warranty but if that modification caused the issue then it becomes void for said part, and within a few months they back tracked and were refusing claims :rolleyes:

They're not stupid and they do nosey on forums so that could backfire on the Civicx lot, It's a tough call modding the fk8, either go for it and don't cry and moan come claim time or hang it out until this box issue is sorted, Honda really have tightened things up with the new R's

hello again! No, we are all warranty friendly on here I think...! Seen a few at Dream getting done, but do not think they are forum members. I know what you mean though, I am clucking for a bit more torque and an exhaust note.....Dream are doing 7Mod tuning where the map builds in pops and bangs for the Fk8...

Yeah the Americans are really starting to go for it now, it's good in a way not being the guinea pigs for once with parts and tuning ECT but I'm still hesitant what with honda being awkward this side of the pond as dweezle has mentioned above, although the likes of an exhaust or intake arent the worst to remove if you did need to pop back with a warranty claim, it's more so the ecu being cracked that I'd be worried about

I found this a few months ago:
http://blog.jepistons.com/comparing-hondas-new-k20c-head-to-the-last-ten-k20a-series-

Didn't help that much, since I still don't understand how "VTEC only on the exhaust side" works or when does it engage

http://www.hipermath.com/engines/exhaust_valve_size (I'll wait here awhile whilst you relive the horrors of secondary school maths)

It comes down (I think) to not needing VTEC on the intake because the turbo can force the air in at higher revs anyway. The higher lift/duration is needed at higher (don't know exact number, some of the other K20C variants have it around 6100, but I suspect there's a lot going on in the R) revs because once the air-flow from the engine gets high enough (close to the speed of sound) it starts to act differently and needs a wider path.

CTR FK8 2018 Performance Car of the Year | MOTOR

[video=youtube;EVKUaby812k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKUaby812k[/video]

You'd have to be on serious amounts of crack to think the FK8 was the best car you "drove today" when there is a NISMO, an M3 CS and a Cayman behind you...

The FK8 is indeed very capable, and very nice to drive as a daily, but this is a performance test. And in that field, I don't see how it was better than the rest but w/e.

You'd have to be on serious amounts of crack to think the FK8 was the best car you "drove today" when there is a NISMO, an M3 CS and a Cayman behind you...

The FK8 is indeed very capable, and very nice to drive as a daily, but this is a performance test. And in that field, I don't see how it was better than the rest but w/e.

Why are you surprised? It’s not the only media outlet that has made this claim ..

Go and have a look at what awards it has won.

M4 CS, if you listened to the review it wasn't the performance that won them over, as cleary the FK8 was not at that level but it was the thrill of driving.

Whether you like the FK8 (clearly you don't) you can not argue with the fact that it is a brilliant car, every review has pretty much came to the same conclusion, I have yet to hear of anyone who has driven it come away saying anything other than excellent.

Is it perfect? No, as personally I would prefer a RWD car, is it the quickest? No, but as a road and track car is it that important these days? Is it fun, absolutely, as a road car it defies its driven wheels status, it makes you feel like a demon driver. Switch off the aids you have to become a demon driver.

Haters gona Hate....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why are you surprised? It’s not the only media outlet that has made this claim ..

Go and have a look at what awards it has won.

Not a hater, I drive a Type R too and I think every single model has it's ups and downs, but all this hype around the FK8 is a bit too much. It's almost as bad as the Nissan GTR hype a year or so after it came out.

Cracks really expensive in oz so doubt it's that...

That's true lol

M4 CS, if you listened to the review it wasn't the performance that won them over, as cleary the FK8 was not at that level but it was the thrill of driving.

Whether you like the FK8 (clearly you don't) you can not argue with the fact that it is a brilliant car, every review has pretty much came to the same conclusion, I have yet to hear of anyone who has driven it come away saying anything other than excellent.

Is it perfect? No, as personally I would prefer a RWD car, is it the quickest? No, but as a road and track car is it that important these days? Is it fun, absolutely, as a road car it defies its driven wheels status, it makes you feel like a demon driver. Switch off the aids you have to become a demon driver.

I do like the FK8 in every aspect bar it's looks (although it does look much better in person compared to pictures). I had the pleasure to be driven around in one for a good amount of time at our last Type R meet, but I just think the praise is a little too much.

We all have our opinions though and this is just mine, no need for softies to get triggered by it :)

I have yet to hear of anyone who has driven it come away saying anything other than excellent.

Been at Honda today for the service on the wife's 9G.

Half an hour after sitting in the waiting room, the dealer principle recognises me from bringing in my old FK2. Minutes later we're out in the FK8.

It's nice, but didn't exactly move any mountains. Comfort mode is exactly what the FK2 was missing but I haven't had the same urge of, "I need one in my life," like I did with the FK2.

Must be getting old or something...

Meh. Still no feelings of lust for one.

Back