• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz’s JDM 1996 Pirates Black Integra Type R

Trip down memory lane and story time for y'all... let's talk about my first day car incidents. They are but a few of my woes.

First ever car, it was 2003. The car was a 1994 civic EG 1.3DX. I inspected it with my clueless father (bless him), he knew more than 17 y/o me at the time let's be honest. Drove it home, no problems. Drove it later that night, problems (seems awfully familiar). I picked my friends up, first one with a car, big deal and all that. Got 2 corners and around 300 yards from my mate's house before being pulled over by the police for no lights. My lights were technically switched on, just the guy had wired it with some household 1.5 single and earth. The policeman took pity and very kindly let me off. I was coincidentally learning how to wire aircraft at the time, so yea. Kind of worked out.

Skip a few cars. It's 2008. I buy a 2005 EP3 from honda approved used. The rear tyre has a huge gouge out of it, I insist it needs replacing. They refuse and give me £150 off. I accept. It blows up on the way "home" (I took a VERY long detour, maybe 80 miles or so). I end up getting a brand new rim, wheel arch liner and tyre... plus I kept the £150. I didn't enjoy the month in a Auto Jazz courtesy car though.

2012. R33 GTR from Japan. Fuck I miss that car. It sold AGAIN about 6 weeks ago for £55k. 3rd time I've seen it sold since I got rid. 43k loss there, not bitter at all. Drove that home feeling like a celebrity with people taking pics and filming. Good times. Until I got home and split the practically irreplaceable front splitter in half on the driveway.

2016. The best one. The deathtrap itself. Bought from bristol from a guy who built it in his shed for a laugh. The B16 (now B18) mini. Scary drive home. So uncomfortable and just generally horrific. It's better now, in marginal and relative terms at least. It can stop and it doesn't try to kill you as much when you accelerate or go over a small bumps. Anyway. I Drove that back on the same route as the DC2 but in summer this time, so no rain or darkness to contend with. Only heat. I boiled the contents of my radiator away over the course of a 280 mile journey. Only 2 or 3 miles from home I started to overheat... in traffic of course. I shut her off & cooled it down. Waited for my gap and cruised it home, holding traffic as I went. A few hours went by, I topped it up. Took it for another drive with my dad just to show him. It overheated again shortly into the drive (still not really sure why, rad fan stopped working but doesn't explain the 2nd rapid overhead, never got to find out...). Got it home & went in for dinner. When I came back out after, I wanted to see where it was leaking from. So I popped the front up, opened the driver's door, put the key in and started it whilst leaning into the car. The car which unbeknownst to me I'd left in gear because the gearstick felt like stirring porridge. The car that weighs 600gks and has and engine from a car nearly twice that weight with wheels 2"s bigger in diameter... A car that doesn't stall in first gear when started from a standstill. It ran me down on my own driveway.
I scrambled/dragged along with it in slow motion hopelessly reaching for the brake or clutch pedals as it crunched into my garage door. The radiator pissed out all over the place and it snapped & bent a couple locating brackets for the flip front. Shout out to aerocatches for hooking me up with free of charge replacement eye bolts BTW. Top fellas. Ended up just being a new radiator and modification to fit, cost me about £300 all in (plus another £600 or so for a new garage door). I rewired my radiator fan to a manual switch at this point and never looked back. Injury wise I got away with a scuffed knee and a very very bruised rib cage. If it was in reverse, holy shit. The door would have dragged me into the gatepost if it didn't fold back first. Still think about that to this day every time I park my car on an incline. The glorious vision of 20/20 hindsight reveals that a simple grab for the key would have been all it took to stop the horror show.... Or maybe just check your gearstick next time?

Honourable non-first-day mentions go to the E46 which snapped in half from the rear suspension mounts. The E36 which I wrote off with my so called 'friend' and colleague who subsequently forced me through insurance for his banger 106. The 1.25 Zetec which I blew up & caused a huge oil spill on Preston M6 roundabout and last but by no means least, my favourite car of all. The faded pink 1.3 '00 Hayundai accent mk1 which I also wrote off with the help of a 2014 M3 dealership car.

We live and we learn folks. And the rest of us? We just buy 90's jap cars.

Last edited:
They’re probably gonna stay on tbh. I don’t think I’ll see any return for my money if I fit better tyres on. I’m not going to be doing too much driving in this so yea, as much as it irks me… The boyo tries (any ddc2 YT fans?) are staying.

Valid. No point replacing them during the refurbishment stages. But certainly not something I'd personally keep once the car starts getting driven properly (whenever that may be).

Steering wheel removed and sent away in quite the sorry state. Confirmed not the original wheel, date of manufacture: 1997.
Looking forward to see how it turns out. I’m using royal steering wheels, saw a few members on here use them in the past with good results.
In other news, Honda UK parts have come through with a few bits for me. Nuts, bolts, clips and such like (even a battery tie down kit) Very pleased to see they’re still keeping some consumables available for this vintage of car…. Although I am probably buying the last of them.

n5vyfFa.jpg

hLfo1zB.jpg

dCSMU9P.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that info mate :confused:

Working on a few bits today. Gonna try and get the air box in if I can find appropriate bolts in my box of “great job done well” spare bolts I’ve collected over the years. Also getting this cut:

nQ8jm1Q.jpg

It’s the little details.

This afternoon’s discovery: drivers door has been replaced. I was wondering what the extra key was for that didn’t work in the ignition. Presumed the seller gave me a key from one of his other MANY hondas. That probably answers my question as to how the paint was chipped in an odd place on the door slam. Either accident damaged or it was left without a door for a while and something was dropped on it.

It all makes sense now. This car was put into a gravel trap & restored. The condition of the wheels on that side, the scrape in the paint on the wing, the chip in the door slam and the replaced door. All the rear arches & sills have been replaced to a very good standard, only the factory sealant pattern gives it away. I took the backbox off, that’s what finally gave it away. It had a rattle, I emptied it out… and what would you know? Gravel.

PS: I’ve found a backbox and you will lol at the condition. Might have come out of the same gravel trap…

Further findings reveal it was tapped for an oil return to the sump meaning it was more than likely forced induction at some point. I’m sure that means it was well looked after but the 50k miles on the clock is seeming an awful lot longer all of a sudden… it’s not Smokey and starts like it was disappointed to be shut off so all’s good for now. Enough for tonight, more beer required.

yoooo, I’ve found the rocking horse poop!

YlJWC0B.jpg

This is the result of messaging every person on the internet who is selling integra parts:D

Just for shits and giggles, this was the one I mentioned in a previous post which I won’t be buying anymore. It was described by the seller as quote “slightly squished”.

bRIRorJ.jpg

I have to laugh, sorry! When do you get the steering wheel back?
All good. Twas meant for the lols :) steering wheel is 2 weeks but I’ve not sent it off yet, they said wait for the new year.

Collected

hTMLP85.jpg

one vigorous hand job later:

mlZM8o6.jpg

McvPr5g.jpg

I might not get chance to fit it today, I’ve got a duck to roast and beer to drink.

Last edited:
Happy new year. Absolutely hanging today.

still got it fitted

cfjNtvB.jpg

SO much quieter now. I had to double take on first start up, almost sounded like it was just cranking on the starter motor. Happy as feck with that.

One of my EP3s had some ASBO exhaust on it, I couldn’t have been happier once I put the standard one back on, it was bliss.

Huge progress today folks:

2i0Ycpe.jpg

I did a few bits yesterday too, got the air box in… kind of. Missing a couple brackets there so I might make some up myself rather than going on another hen’s tooth hunt. Also replaced some cables ties with an OEM battery stay. Much better. Steering wheel packed, I’m going to send that off tomorrow.

I also warmed it up for an oil change before realising I had 3 litres of shell helix left. So I ordered another 16 litres and 2 more oil filters. I had one on the shelf already.

That carpet is something else!

Also, kudos for bagging an OEM exhaust in such a condition given the age of the parts.

That's some good progress on this mate, I really miss my DC2 and would love a JDM 98' spec one. Sadly they along with DC5s are silly money now.

That's some good progress on this mate, I really miss my DC2 and would love a JDM 98' spec one. Sadly they along with DC5s are silly money now.

cheers fella, yea I paid a good chunk for this one. I’m not convinced the ‘98 spec is all that much better than the ‘96, I have the ‘98 exhaust manifold so it’s just as quick and I’m 60kg lighter (mostly unsprung weight) for the sake of a bit of brake fade. By my estimation that’d be the more fun car to drive compared with the more track focussed ‘98.

latest news: no spark. Replaced dizzy cap and plug leads with new ones I had on the shelf. No dice. Ordered new plugs, dizzy rotor & dizzy coil because that dizzy hasn’t been serviced since Adam was a lad. Should have them today hopefully, fingers crossed it solves it. If not, I’ll be cleaning earths up and replacing TPS.

This should give you some idea how crusty the dizzy was/still is.
S62GdRO.jpg

Fairly hopeful a full refresh of the ignition system should do the trick and if not, it needed it anyway.

Back