• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1996 R33 GTR

Update:

Dropped the dirty slut in for a cambelt change, nismo downpipes, aircon pulley, HICAS top up and general service on Thursday at RB motorsport.

The car has been making a strange noise on cold start-up since I got it, usual slipping belt kind of noise. Aircon pulley has a bit of play in it so for a few months I've let it slide, not really bothered that it made a strange noise because it went away after a few seconds.

Long story short... it wasn't the aircon pulley. Turns out my cambelt tensioner had completely shat itself. It could have let go at any second (5-7k engine re-build). RB motorsport have been tuning these cars for 25 years and have never come accross one so badly damaged. Yet another thing JM Imports said they did, checked the cambelt and tensioner and said they look 'as new'. Not cool.

So yea, cambelt and tensioner replaced with OEM parts... Nismo downpipes on, also decided to stick some vernier adjustable timing wheels at the same time and had the cam timing tweaked. Still on a standard map for now but it's certainly made a difference. Calibrated bottom dyno said 20-30bhp increase.... You don't want to see the print out.

Aye, that's pretty much exactly what they said at RB. Rod even asked to keep the tensioner for his broken/dodgy parts display :lol: I'll have to remember to get a picture next time I'm there, it's quite an eye opener! It's mostly eBay parts....

No, I'm not overly happy with them. Great service in finding the car and making it look nice...

Straight off it needed 2 ball joints, brake pads, brake lines, rear calipers, aux belts, air filter, cambelt & tensioner, air-con re-gas, boot leak fixing, 2 tyres.... Think that's about it? Oh and the rare as hens teeth OEM floor mats went missing from the original photos.

They did do quite a bit of work on it supposedly, so maybe the profit margin was getting a little thin to complete everything? Maybe I just got unlucky, who knows. I expected a few problems, it's just when they say things have been checked or changed (cambelt check & air filter change) and they haven't you start wondering whether they were straight shooters or not.... Still just a car dealer at the end of the day.

They have an an awesome reputation online but I've heard some stories from various people, whether or not they are all true is another thing entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
eBay parts fitted by the importer ?

No, just random parts that have either been on a car and broke or were in the process of breaking, they get cars in from all over the UK and Europe to work on. Nothing to do with said import company.

Hazz, you know yourself fella that imported cars are always potential money pits - Skylines eliminate "potential" and just become money pits!!! :lol:

If you wanted a bullet proof import you would be in a DC5 and might have to shell out for a seat bolster. :lol:

You have a 2.6 litre boosted bitch that might hurt you at times but on the right day, at the right time she will reward you with a boner inducing drive and you will end the day with a jaw splitting grin.

Ups and downs fella, ups and downs. :lol:

RB Motorsports are top notch for GTR's all my work was done there. Guess what his track car is though...

DC2.

Slight update...

It seems I exceeded the speed rating on my Nismo wind deflectors (always hated them anyway) and one of them decided, at least in part, that it no longer wished to be attached to my car.

So, that's £300 worth of pointless parts destroyed.... took the remainder of the drivers side off to find that it was infact structurally intergral to the Nismo Carbon B-billar insert, which proceeded to fall off (another £200 worth of pointless sh1te).

Got fleeced for an OEM set of b-pillar inserts, £40 delivered for some 20 year old plastic trim. FOAD. Cars are w@nkers.

So, annoyed at the reduced Nismo list on my for sale add, I decided to buy a Nismo Gear knob and also replace the gear gaitor whilst I was there. Not got my knob in the post yet so as soon as it arrives, I'll update with pictures of my knob in situe :lol:

Thanks. Once you go black, you never go back.

Put the car up on GTROC for sale. Had 3 Enquiries yesterday.

One bloke seemed genuine and a jap enthusiast but stuck to his guns at 8k, which I can respect.... but no chance, it's head and shoulders above any gtr you can buy for 8k.

Next guy didn't offer a price but wanted to arrange a test drive. Practically told me his life story via text message. Ignored that one.

Then thismorning I was offered a 996 with GT3 goodies for a straight swap.... Which is tempting but smells like tarp. Big money difference between a 996 and my GTR so there's something dodgy going on there I think. Avoid. + I just want the money so I can buy a house.

You'd be surprised...996s are dropping below £10k now. Wonder if the GT3 "goodies" are actually just the bodykit and wheels, there seem to be a few about...sheep in wolf's clothing.

Interesting... One does wonder if it's the same motor.

I didn't enquire about the car, I just said no thanks right off the bat. I did a quick search on autotrader and the first few results were in the 14-16k range. I didn't look any further, quite surprised to see that one at just 8k!!

Back