• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hondata Airbox Mod Done.... Some Pics

Well I did the airbox mod over the weekend and haven't really noticed much change (aside that my hands are now cut to ribbons).
I used a dremmel type tool, but even so that's some tough plastic and it still took me a few hours.

I ordered the CAF but I'm still waiting for our poor overworked underpaid posties to deliver the fecking thing.

I can't believe how sh!te the OEM CAF is, any ideas why it's an 'L' shape and why it's pointing at the battery?
As said earlier, I haven't really noticed any noise or power gains, but if I still had the OEM catback I'm sure it would be more noticeable.

Well I did the airbox mod over the weekend and haven't really noticed much change (aside that my hands are now cut to ribbons).
I used a dremmel type tool, but even so that's some tough plastic and it still took me a few hours.

I ordered the CAF but I'm still waiting for our poor overworked underpaid posties to deliver the fecking thing.

I can't believe how sh!te the OEM CAF is, any ideas why it's an 'L' shape and why it's pointing at the battery?
As said earlier, I haven't really noticed any noise or power gains, but if I still had the OEM catback I'm sure it would be more noticeable.

You got any pics?

I still haven't plucked up the courage/got up off my lazy arse to do it. Severe hang over from Halloween party and bad weather didn't help.

I'm really after doing this especially seeing that you have just blasted the OEM CAF :lol:

Pics of what mate?

Your attempt at it or did it come out like Chris'? It's only because he said a dremmel may get better results as there's some areas that look like a right git to get to if you don't have one.

It's more or less the same, the dremmel was a chore to use too, so I hacked away at it to remove big chunks then tidied up a bit with the dremmel but it was still a pain.

I'd recommend a big old pair of snips as the best thing to use. The bigger and sharper the better.

It's more or less the same, the dremmel was a chore to use too, so I hacked away at it to remove big chunks then tidied up a bit with the dremmel but it was still a pain.

I'd recommend a big old pair of snips as the best thing to use. The bigger and sharper the better.

Nice one, cheers

i fitted my caf mod yesterday and went for a spin last night to see if it added any gains.

i was a bit sceptical at first having to squash the hose to fit over the rad and down towards the grille but the results were an improved throttle responce and it pulls alot harder/stronger through the rev range than it did with the crap oem intake.

i just need to see how it fairs up to driving in the rain.

My mechanic mate seems to think this will suffer badly in the rain, I didn't think it would but he stood by what he said, so........anyone's filter get wet/affected by the wet weather?

My mechanic mate seems to think this will suffer badly in the rain, I didn't think it would but he stood by what he said, so........anyone's filter get wet/affected by the wet weather?

How did he come to that conclusion? The chances of rain water getting up the inlet pipe and to the filter are slim to none whether the fins are there or not. It would have to be horizontal rain.

Rubbish, he's either confused or stupid.

How did he come to that conclusion? The chances of rain water getting up the inlet pipe and to the filter are slim to none whether the fins are there or not. It would have to be horizontal rain.

Well that was what I was saying, but he thinks that the pipe will suck in an increased amount of moisture due to the weather, therefore making the paper filter go soggy and says I should get a K&N in the box if I do it.

I only asked to borrow his dremel and it turned into an argument

The K&N is a paper filter anyhow. But it would be advantages to chnage to a high flow filter like the K&N or my choice the ITG.

I did the Hondata airbox mod about six months ago, using the standard filter and had no problems whatsoever.

great thread!! Very intersting thanks,

Is there any official rolling road bhp results on this mod?

Anyone else done this and had problems with water, i.e motorway driving with alot of mist being thrown up?

i have done the mod to the box and fitted an intake pipe over the radiator behind the grille, i also have an itg foam panel filter fitted.
i have driven in alot of crap conditions on the motorway with lots of spray/mist and have had no problems whatsoever.

i have done the mod to the box and fitted an intake pipe over the radiator behind the grille, i also have an itg foam panel filter fitted.
i have driven in alot of crap conditions on the motorway with lots of spray/mist and have had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks Mate, thats what i needed to hear.

Just about to order the 90mm CAI now, anything else i need apart from the jubilee clips??

Back