• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hondata Airbox Mod Done.... Some Pics

Just started using this forum after getting my hands on a mint Civic 2005 EP3 (only done 30,000!) and was wondering if it's worth replacing the OEM filter with a K&N panel (or in this case cone shaped) one? Not so much for performance but to increase the fuel tank range by letting the engine breath better.

Thing is, I have a maintenance contract on this car because I use it for work so I get new filters, oil etc when I have each service so not sure if it's worth paying the extra £40 something quid for the K&N one when I get new filters anyway as part of the contract? The OEM one looks good anyway!

I don't want to mod the car with new cold air feeds, etc as it's all standard and in great condition!

Cheers and hello!

Tom

The OEM filter is a quality bit of kit. I picked one up yesterday, and was surprised by it, literally.

Honda Original Parts FTW in this case!

Just started using this forum after getting my hands on a mint Civic 2005 EP3 (only done 30,000!) and was wondering if it's worth replacing the OEM filter with a K&N panel (or in this case cone shaped) one? Not so much for performance but to increase the fuel tank range by letting the engine breath better.

Thing is, I have a maintenance contract on this car because I use it for work so I get new filters, oil etc when I have each service so not sure if it's worth paying the extra £40 something quid for the K&N one when I get new filters anyway as part of the contract? The OEM one looks good anyway!

I don't want to mod the car with new cold air feeds, etc as it's all standard and in great condition!

Cheers and hello!

Tom

Buy another airbox off ebay and do this hondata mod to it. It is fiddly yes, but once you have done it, it only take 10-15 minutes to swap the boxes over. Then buy a decent drop in filter, ITG are supposed to be good, and you are laughing. :smt023

It won't set your world on fire but will help the car breathe better. You might get a bit of a perceived improvement in performance and economy but without combining this mod with things like exhaust of a kpro/k100 remap you won't see big changes.

Standard box or Hondata Mod? is it worth butchering my air box as my mind is not made up?

sorry man, Jermal has just ruined your chances of a sale a little ;). would need to by pretty cheap for me to be interested.

A standard airbox wouldn't be massively cheap to buy un-modded though, looking at circa £40 IIRC.

I've got a K&N Typhoon at the moment - definately going to do this mod. One question though - will it be safe to put the pipe around the filter? That way the only air it will take in is through the pipe - fine at speed but does anyone think there could be any risks of starving the engine of air when idling? I guess it would just suck air through the pipe - rather than the hot air from in the engine bay...
Also - would a long wet drive be a worry? I'm wondering if the water would collect in the pipe and increase the risk of hydro-lock?
Sorry if this sounds daft but I just thought this is the best place to check!!!!

Kind of hard to explain, basically the cone filter is exposed at the moment. So, I was thinking of running some ducting from the grill and back round to the filter - and put the pipe over the filter and seal with a jubilee clip at the back of the cone - that way the filter would be inside the pipe.... I just discussed with a friend at work and could draw a digagram - we were wondering if it would restrict airflow more than anything...If I still havent made myself clear I will post a diagram to see what you all think....

Back