• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving MPG

Well I don't no what to do? Could it be the trip computer be wrong? Or maybe the pannel filter is the reason?

I have a sport and im getting about 31 MPG!!! but I love the car so cant complain :D

That's sh*t. :eek:

Thats horrendous man! How can you not complain about that?

Well I don't no what to do? Could it be the trip computer be wrong? Or maybe the pannel filter is the reason?

31mpg isn't bad, depending on the type of driving you do. If it's short journeys and round town then its pretty good, my FN2 does about 24mpg round town and 5 miles to work in this cold weather but will near on 40mpg on a motorway run.

On parkers.co.uk it says my car should be getting mpg in the high40's. Is it worth taking the car into Honda to see if there is a problem?

That will explain it then. For short trips (ie when the engine is still warming up) the car uses much more fuel as it needs a over rich mixture to keep the engine running. Hence why when you first start the car in the morning the exhaust stinks of fuel (a sweet sticky type smell).

As for the higher revs less throttle thing (yes i know it is sad but was bored, as i am now, at work and so had a look up on it) for the K20a3, only details i could find, it was found that the most economical burn is between about 2250 rpm and 3800 rpm. so basically shifting up at 3000 is a bit to early. Keeping it between 2500 and 3500 will give you the best fuel economy. Doing just that for one tank full i got 38mpg which gave me about 370 miles before i chickened out and filled up.

Oh and the boil off with a less full tank of fuel is only half the story. Granted when it is agitated (so driving like you stole it) then it does boil off more quickly as there is more room to move around but a modern fuel tank is an almost sealed enclosure (hence the rushing noise you sumtimes get when you open the fuel cap). So there is only a certain volume it can fill. Add to this the reduction in weight (1 litre of fuel is about 870grams) and it actually cancels itself out as the fuel economy goes up with the reduction in weight.

Having said all of this i am quite happy getting mid 30s mpg and driving it how i feel at the time.

I'm looking at 330 miles to a tank, I think, in a 1.4l Pug...
50 litre tank...
4 gallons to a litre...
50/4...
12.5 gallon tank, approx...
330/12.5...
26.4mpg.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong.

50 litre tank...
4 gallons to a litre...
50/4...
330/12.5...
26.4mpg.

you mean 4.5 litres to a gallon
50 / 4.5 = 11.1111
330/11.1111= 29.7mpg
thats what i work it

Last edited by a moderator:
50 litre tank...
4 gallons to a litre...
50/4...
330/12.5...
26.4mpg.

Thats astonishingly bad mate! Even for urban driving you should really get more than that from a 1.4 206!

Mate thats shocking, Rach has teh same car as you that I have been using before I got my S2000.

I would regulary get 420 miles from a tank.

The average MPG over the last few months has been 40.2mpg.

Service your car and dont be so heavy footed. Enjoy low MPG's while you can as it soon starts to get on your nerves as you get juicier cars.

I'm not heavy footed at all. I've been driving extremely conservatively. The tank's half empty at ~160 miles, there's no way it's gonna get to 430, unless my petrol gauge is well out. I know they're inaccurate, but it can't be 100 miles inaccurate :lol:

Maybe it'd be worth a servicing... What's likely to be the problem?

Maybe it's cos it's such a small engine...

My journeys are generally between 5 and 15 miles.

Maybe it's cos it's such a small engine...

My journeys are generally between 5 and 15 miles.

Maybe, but I have the same car and get generally good MPG, well TBH amazing MGP compared to what I'm used to.

Back