• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Nidge's Cosmic EP3

The arb bushes are pretty simple, the drop links frustrating.
Yes on the rears I had to cut off the bolts. Tried Plusgas on them but they wouldn't budge.

I also fitted the arb upside down and only realised when lowered the car back down off the jacks.

I like to have a go at simple jobs but not sure I want to pay out for another trolley jack at the moment just to fit the bushes and drop links.

I've got to get my exhaust fitted and brake lines changed over anyway so may just get the garage to swap it all over at once.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It took me two days to change all four drop links , rear ARB and front brake calipers. I had two bolts shear off so had to tap and die new holes, real nightmare but that’s part and parcel of doing diy on an ep3 :lol:

It took me two days to change all four drop links , rear ARB and front brake calipers. I had two bolts shear off so had to tap and die new holes, real nightmare but that’s part and parcel of doing diy on an ep3
Sounds about right. So often the simple jobs end up taking ages because everything has rusted together.

It's all good fun though.

I get shouty when I have to deal with drop links, rust, narrow-access, lack of decent grip points on the link itself vs. the nut holding it in place, rage inducing.

Last 4 posts aren't really helping my desire for buying another ep3 :smt043
Don't let that put you off. Most cars will have various levels of rusted bolts etc underneath the car. Makes it more satisfying once you finally get the job done.

So I have my 2nd hand rocker cover to refurbish. Will be doing it OEM red wrinkle effect.

Obviously I need to strip the paint off first.

I purchased some Nitromors as years ago I thought this was strong stuff. I'm sure they must have changed the ingredients though as this stuff is utter cr*p. I could get the paint off quicker using my finger nail!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best/strongest paint stripper I can get? Thanks.

I get shouty when I have to deal with drop links, rust, narrow-access, lack of decent grip points on the link itself vs. the nut holding it in place, rage inducing.

When we changed the rear ARB on the track car we just went straight for cutting tools :lol:

So I have my 2nd hand rocker cover to refurbish. Will be doing it OEM red wrinkle effect.

Obviously I need to strip the paint off first.

I purchased some Nitromors as years ago I thought this was strong stuff. I'm sure they must have changed the ingredients though as this stuff is utter cr*p. I could get the paint off quicker using my finger nail!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best/strongest paint stripper I can get? Thanks.

Nitromors certainly isn't what it used to be. The trick is to lather it on as thick as possible without it running. So maybe 2mm thick, 3 or 4mm on flat and level surfaces. Leave it a good hour.

I also found that wilko's own brand paint stripper, whilst slightly worse that nitromors, at around 1/4 of the price it was the better option for me.

We buy a generic trade version of nitromors at work, its so much better than nitromors.
Eats through the gloves too quickly, probably using the wrong gloves though :picardfp:

Nitromors certainly isn't what it used to be. The trick is to lather it on as thick as possible without it running. So maybe 2mm thick, 3 or 4mm on flat and level surfaces. Leave it a good hour.

I also found that wilko's own brand paint stripper, whilst slightly worse that nitromors, at around 1/4 of the price it was the better option for me.
Might try re applying it how you suggested and maybe get some from wilkos as it's cheaper.

We buy a generic trade version of nitromors at work, its so much better than nitromors.
Eats through the gloves too quickly, probably using the wrong gloves though :picardfp:
Trouble is I'm not sure how strong the stuff is that's available to the general public. If the stuff you use melts gloves that's OK. It's when it melts your hand you need to worry.

Trouble is I'm not sure how strong the stuff is that's available to the general public. If the stuff you use melts gloves that's OK. It's when it melts your hand you need to worry.

Yeah it fvcks your hands up nicely

Picked the car up earlier. Feels great. Pedal is nice and light compared to before.

Matt at Red R Performance also fitted the Meyle HD front drop links as the old ones were shot.

Would definitely recommend Matt and I will be taking my car back for some more jobs I need doing soon.

So after getting the clutch changed at Red R Performance last week I am heading back a week tomorrow to get my front arb bushes done (the heavy duty Meyle front drop links were already fitted last week as the old ones were removed when doing the clutch).

Also getting my brake lines changed to braided ones, Energy suspension engine mounts to be fitted and replacing the original exhaust with the Tegiwa one.

Back