• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No Claims Bonus Expiry ???

Suits

First to flounce
Can anyone give me any hard facts on NCB and if they expire at all ??

I've had a look about but tend to get differing, inaccurate information.

This is the thing, someone told me a while ago that if you don't have a valid insurance policy on a car for more than two years you will lose any previously accrued NCB's.

So, if you sell your car, cancel it or let a policy expire, go travelling for say two years then return to and try to insure a new vehicle your old NCB's become invalid.

Another question that then rages from this, is when do they start the two year clock ?? From the end of your last full years policy ? Or when you cancel your old policy.

So If I sold a car and cancelled my policy in May 2012 , does the clock start then or does it count from my last complete year Policy, which would have been in March 2012 ? Meaning that I'm currently at 12 months of the 24.

I'll be damned if I lose 10 years no claims bonus on a stupid thing like this all because I'm being lazy.

Any help from any Insurance companies or anyone in the know would be very helpful.

TIA.

2 yrs normally. good question on whether it's date of policy commencement/renewal or cancellation. my hunch is it's commencement. but a letter from company with date of cancellation might work.

2 yrs normally. good question on whether it's date of policy commencement/renewal or cancellation. my hunch is it's commencement. but a letter from company with date of cancellation might work.

I knew you'd know something.

Think it depends on the company matey. my bother in law has only 12 months he was told so I guess its speculative.

Think it depends on the company matey. my bother in law has only 12 months he was told so I guess its speculative.

Again, I thought that may be teh case, that it differs from company to compnay, but I wondered if there was an industry standard or something.

As most of us, I have no odea who I would go with yet, as it's all about the the best package for the best price, so we shop around.

i picked up bike insurance with 3 years no claims having never had a bike before based only on what my car insurance was.

Go figure on that one!

Good question. I was thinking about this only the other day as it's applicable to me as I last owned a car in October 2011. so need to sort myself out with a shed or lose 7 years ncb.

Must be from the expiry date of your last full insurance policy surely?

So if I'm 10 months into an existing policy, then sell my car and cancel my insurance, my last full policy would have been 10 months ago, therefor I'm already close to my first year of a 2 year exile and will lose my NCB's.

Pretty sure that's what they done when my gf got her company car but she was 7 months in.

Just to be clear here, this isn't about incurring NCB's, this is about the period in which you might not have any car insurance policy's running and the effect it has on your previously earned NCB's.

Also, buying a van ie. VW Caddy can affect your existing NCB.

When I was into the VW scene I once changed from a MK2 Golf to a Caddy - I remember it got quite complicated, there was a way around it but essentially, as you change from a domestic to a commerical policy, its like everything - not simple and straightforward!

Just to be clear here, this isn't about incurring NCB's, this is about the period in which you might not have any car insurance policy's running and the effect it has on your previously earned NCB's.

Yeah dude, she cancelled early because she was getting her company car so sold her car on and didn't finish her policy. But IIRC she found out her NCB wasn't valid when she bought a car for her mother recently, as she had to insure if briefly whilst it was in her name.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was into the VW scene I once changed from a MK2 Golf to a Caddy - I remember it got quite complicated, there was a way around it but essentially, as you change from a domestic to a commerical policy, its like everything - not simple and straightforward!

Commercial and private car NCB's are different but a good insurer can work with either and either allow the full discount (based on what is available) or will offer an introductory discount based on either the commercial or private car NCB.

We work with either.

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance

tel: 01707 642552

Can anyone give me any hard facts on NCB and if they expire at all ??

I've had a look about but tend to get differing, inaccurate information.

This is the thing, someone told me a while ago that if you don't have a valid insurance policy on a car for more than two years you will lose any previously accrued NCB's.

So, if you sell your car, cancel it or let a policy expire, go travelling for say two years then return to and try to insure a new vehicle your old NCB's become invalid.

Another question that then rages from this, is when do they start the two year clock ?? From the end of your last full years policy ? Or when you cancel your old policy.

So If I sold a car and cancelled my policy in May 2012 , does the clock start then or does it count from my last complete year Policy, which would have been in March 2012 ? Meaning that I'm currently at 12 months of the 24.

I'll be damned if I lose 10 years no claims bonus on a stupid thing like this all because I'm being lazy.

Any help from any Insurance companies or anyone in the know would be very helpful.

TIA.

Hi Suits
We will accept NCB up to 3 years from expiry on our scheme. The expiry date with us is the last day the car was insured.

With kind regards
Tim
See recent feedback about our scheme at www.prestigekeepmoving.com/p/car-clubs.html
Prestige Keep Moving Insurance Scheme is provided by The A&A Group Limited - www.taagl.com
0800 3308057 or 0333 4001580 if ringing by mobile
Online quote form - http://superrates.co.uk/CoreQuote/faces/ProposerDetails.jsp?Product=1&Style=3

Back