• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

Looking to buy some 5w40.

Just wondering what difference oil has from say, Gulf Formula, and Gulf Competition.
If they are both fully synthetic and 5w40, what makes one better from another?

Thanks!
Also... whens likely to be opie's next offer? I keep seeing them when I don't need an oil change and now I do!

The Formula is a fairly basic, normal use synthetic, good for day to day use, but the Competition is a top end ester based synthetic that will give the best protection.

Keep an eye out over Easter weekend for a good offer

Hi there oilman.
Newbie honda owner here. I am wanting to service my 04 ep3 which has coverd 50k. Which oil for engine and which for gearbox.

Cheers Stu.

Im looking to turn over my k20a2, its now in an eg chassis.....its been standing a while.

Ive a standard blue Honda filter from a year or so ago, i think it was for my b18 but i cannot be sure.... does it matter, i thought all honda oil filters were the same?
Ive got a bottle of halfords 5W/30 part synthetic.... what do you think to this? will it do the job ok? do i need anything particular considering it's been stood im thinking of filling it up, running it on this for a few miles and then upgrading to something a bit nicer.....this is in an efford to clean out the block without using a flush

Any help would be great oilman :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That 5w-30 is pretty basic stuff, it's best used for flushing, like you said. After that, go for a 5w-40

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

which oil

Could anyone out there tell me what the best oil to use for my 2003 civic type r. Any help or advice would be great. Honda service tell me to use 10w 40 part symthetic. My type r has always been serviced by Honda and they always seem to put Shell super plus 10w 40 in my engine. Should I change the oil for let's say Mobil 1 fully symthetic or just stick to what Honda are putting in my EP3 ( they are the pros aren't they!!??). Thanks.

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Ok thanks i will check the link out. Would you flush the old oil out first ( shell helix 10w 40) before putting in the 5w-40 synthetic as i need i top up very soon, dont really want to mix um or does it matter... cheers bud

Guy, Simon

I have a 2005 Civic Type R and it has full Honda service history.
Each time it has been serviced it has had 0w-30 oil in. When I bought it, it had Castrol Edge SLX 0w-30, so I bought a litre of top-up to keep in the boot just in case the level dropped.

Had car serviced yesterday and told them to make sure it had the same oil in as last few times as I had top-up oil to suit.

Collected car, all nice etc etc, and when looking at the service receipt when I got home saw they had used Shell Helix Plus.
I understand this is a semi synthetic oil, but it doesnt say what grade it is.

What do you recommend? Is this ok to use? I regularly dive into the vtec zone but in all honesty only cover 4k miles a year. Mostly 60 miles runs when out and about.

I'm tempted to tell them to change it, i would have thought Fully Synthetic would be Honda's normal choice [as before with the Edge?]
Though I expect if I did this they would leave me waiting for an hour, do nothing, then say the cars ready.

I would go with a synthetic and you can get a synthetic Helix Plus, but check what is. Most garages have the opinion that a 10w-40 semi is fine in everything, so that's probably been used. You can use a 10w-40 in that engine, but I'd go with a 0w-30, 5w-30 or 5w-40

Back