• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pete's TDi North/Grinspeed tuned NHB CTR & BMW 335i Coupe

Coilovers on. They should get me through the summer track days before I can look at more serious upgrades. I can't give any opinion on them yet because I literally fitted them and parked the car up for the night. Geo is getting setup in a week or so, just need to change the track rod ends because they were seized on. No shots half way through because I just wanted to get them fitted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Been away for most of the weekend, but managed to give the inside of the 335i a good clean when I got home.

Planning to go to the BMW show at Santapod next Sunday to scout it out so might not use the car much this week and just give the outside a good detail (weather dependent) on the Saturday.

I finally joined the e92/e93 owners Facebook page, but being honest its a bit of a disappointment compared to TRO :D

Also planning to go to the Japshow at Santapod next month and all being well JAE again this year too, got a bit of an itch for an EK9 at the moment but will only look at one if I can justify owning two cars as the BMW is still superb.

BMW Interior 12.06.jpg

I know of a K Swapped EK that's for sale. Far as I know it needs a few bits to finish it off.....

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

I know of a K Swapped EK that's for sale. Far as I know it needs a few bits to finish it off.....

Ed, hope you and the family are okay pal?

When you say a few bits need finishing how close is it to being complete?

Ed, hope you and the family are okay pal?

When you say a few bits need finishing how close is it to being complete?
We're all good cheers Pete

It's owned by a mate of mine and he never uses it.
I will fund out how close it is to be finished

Needs a speed sensor, mapping and the clutch & brakes bled

Quick update. I've got a track day booked next week in Spa so wanted to get a few jobs done before then.

Fitted JDM arb with polybushes:
arb1.jpg

(Comparison to old arb)

arb2.jpg

All fitted:

arb3.jpg

Took the car to Andy Turner Motor Engineering in Leeds for him to setup the car for what I need. He did a brilliant job and it feels great. I can definitely recommend the rear arb upgrade, very noticeable difference.

There were a few broken clips on bits of trim and this always irritates me, even if it doesn't rattle. I get a bit obsessive with things like this so I spent a while replacing them around the car. I wont bore you with a load of pics but anyway, all replaced and every panel fits lovely and snug now.

clips.jpg

Dirty gearknob:

gear.jpg

Clean:

gear2.jpg

I removed the rising sun door grabs and centre console and replaced them with the standard items. New door grabs from tegiwa. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the centre console but it was an ebay job and I probably paid a bit too much to make sure they didn't have a single mark on them. I'm happy though and you can't put a price on happiness! :D

handle_grab.jpg

handlegrab.jpg

New mats:

mats.jpg

Then the service this weekend which included engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, spark plugs. I cleaned the air filter too. It didn't really need it, think the whole lot was only a few months old but I prefer to over service it and have peace of mind.

service1.jpg

service2.jpg

Magnetic drain plug picked up some crap!

service3.jpg

service4.jpg

All clean!
service5.jpg

The car has also had a good clean. Washed, dragons breath, de tarred, clayed and then waxed. I'll get around to a full machine polish when I get back from Spa and get the parking dings taken out.

A few other things I'm on with but that's it before Spa. I'll try to get some nice pictures!

3 series sailed through it's first MOT under my ownership on Wednesday with zero advisories so as a treat im going to throw some money at her and get a few small jobs done, including a bonnet respray and alloy wheel refurb.

apart from that a new set of mats, a couple of pieces of replacement trim and she will look as good a nine year old car as money can buy.

still miss tinkering around with a project car some days but don't know if I've got the time/drive to start another build like the EP3

Made a start on cleaning up the BMW exhaust tips, bl00dy nightmare job but can see the difference between passenger and driver side already, most BMW's have push on replaceable exhaust tips but the 335i is all one system.

Also booked in for the alloy wheel refurb and bonnet re-spray early August :)

Exhaust.jpg

Well I'm back from Spa and all is well! Car covered over 1,200 miles in just under 3 days and performed faultlessly. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that in terms of fuel economy I was doing a lot better than my brother who's civic is near standard power (minus a few light modifications). Im sure the stripped out interior had a lot to do with it.

The weather for spa forecast rain, and heavy downpours at that, but we were pleasantly surprised to enjoy nothing but glorious sunshine and high 20s temps, perfect! I've done a few a track days including a few trips to the ring and by far out of all of them Spa is my favourite, what an amazing circuit, I would recommend it to anybody.

I was really impressed by the car, everything was perfect, from the power, diff, super sticky tyres (incredible tyres, fantastic progression), and to the geometry setup it all hooked up and performed better than I expected it to. I was surprised to be keeping up and in some instances overtaking cars of a much higher pedigree.

I was hoping to have loads of exciting footage to show you from the go pro hero 4 I had for the weekend but unfortunately I made a bit of a cock up! I forgot to select the option which spots where to set the exposure focus and ended up filming what looks like me driving into a tunnel of light. Marvellous. Anyway I'll include the video so you can get the jist of it all.

Couple of pictures and drive by clips:

In the car park all ready to go:

image.jpg

image.jpg

End of the day my rear brakes had melted. Whoops.

image.jpg

image.jpg

In in the queue ready to go:

image.jpg

Couple of clips. Drive by filmed by a mate:

https://youtu.be/csSUU4Bbnmo

Nice overtake on the straight:

https://youtu.be/Cs0swccPv1s

On track, apologies for the crap over exposed video but never mind!

https://youtu.be/nSAa7gvjUAg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, pleased the car performed so well. I'd love to visit the circuit one day, maybe I can convince the Mrs to let me next year!

Looked to be going well, like you've said, it's a shame the video didn't come out great! Better luck next time.

Out of interest, what were the cars you were out performing? It's always hard to tell if they can't drive well or just aren't trying!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Looks good, pleased the car performed so well. I'd love to visit the circuit one day, maybe I can convince the Mrs to let me next year!

Looked to be going well, like you've said, it's a shame the video didn't come out great! Better luck next time.

Out of interest, what were the cars you were out performing? It's always hard to tell if they can't drive well or just aren't trying!

If you get the opportunity then do it, plus the ring is only an hour and a bit away :D

It was a mixed bag really, I know what you're saying whether they are trying or not or whether the drivers have less talent than you do (I'm by no means saying I have any talent because I don't!). A few of the big saloon BMWs were quite easy to overtake, a Q plated caterham and a few hatches. I was most impressed by a Megane sport, the way it changed direction was just silly, I've never seen anything like it, so aggressive but so controlled. Then there were GTRs, absolute end game of a car!

Yeah I found even in my pretty much standard ep3, I was getting passed multiple m3's and having done 2 track days now, I'm hardly a seasoned Pro, I was more interested in learning the car and leaning the lines than trying to get past everyone. But it is a lot of fun flying past cars which you'd imagine would be so much faster!

One day I'll do the ring, hoping to get a LSD fitted, possibly a 5.1fd and then up the power to 230 ish, should keep me going a bit better in the straights, then do another 3 or 4 track days next year. Maybe even sneak in a ring trip if the wife will let me!

I've been busy with making a few changes to the car and one job that's finally done is the rocker cover. I really liked the look of the black wrinkle finish cam covers and although spooner restorations do a pretty awesome job I wanted to have a go myself. I bought a used cover for £35 which was already matt black and used a paint stripper to get it back down to the metal. I then used a wire brush attachment on the drill and cleaned it up and finally used a degreaser to clean it all down ready for paint. For masking off I measured up each hole and then used my vinyl cutting machine to cut the exact measurement off for each hole making a clean seal. I even vectored the Honda wording and made a mask for that too. Anyway here's some pictures of the process and the finished product (there's a little bit of residue from the vinyl on the Honda logo but I'm waiting for the paint to go rock hard before I wipe it off).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The vinyl was mm perfect!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All fitted with new seals etc. I'm cleaning up the carbon cover because it's gone a bit dull, I'm going to order some nice new fixings too to finish it off a bit too.

image.jpg

Back