• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

Cheers Ben. It surprised me how much gain I got from a better intake. Map is very smooth and the car feels great.

Aside upgrading the fuel pump and injectors I am done. A set of ITBs would be nice to look at but I wouldn't get any gain. With the Skunk2 fitted the engine is getting all the air it needs.:)

That's true Paul the only benefit would be noise and noise alone with ITB's, the setup you have now is clearly working well and performance wise is perfectly balanced. I wish I would have invested in a set of toda valve springs like yourself when I had my cams installed :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I might not be able to keep up with you around Spa any more. :lol:

Very good results from a relatively simple adjustment.

Been thinking over the winter period about what wheel and tyre set up I want to run. I had been planning to fit track day tyres to the 17's and fit sensible tyres to the 18's for wet track days / winter period. Looking at how much tread is still left on the 17's I have decided against it. I shall stick to wet weather tyres on the 17's and put dry road / track day tyres on the 18's.

My front tyres on the 18's are close to being shot after Cadwell last year but have enough tread on them for one more track day. The rear tyres on the 18's still have loads of tread on them. Wanting to try a more track focused tyre I have taken advantage of an offer on Camskill on Federal 595 RSR's. I've ordered two tyres which will go on after my next track day to replace the two tyres which will be toast soon. Looking forward to see how they perform.
icon_smile.gif

They are good tyres bit not as good as r888 and A048. They would be better in standing water though, but you hope not to have that on a track day.

Very good all round tyres though, you'll love them :)

You're talking tenths of a second between RSR's, AD08's, 888's and other semi-slick/fast road tyres. 888's are savage in the wet but not with standing water.

This Tuesday 22nd I set off back to TDi North to have new uprated fuel injectors, an uprated fuel pump fitted and the engine mapped to suit.

I want to tell you a story...................

The run on the M6 was very interesting. The M6 was as usual busy with rush hour traffic with some periods of standing traffic. Having cleared junction 18 and sitting in a queue of traffic at approx 60mph in the outside lane I suddenly realise some numpty in a Corsa is so close to my posterior that I can't see the top of his bonnet! Add to this the muppet is flashing his lights at me. Time for a gentle brake test as a warning (he can't go anywhere due to the amount of traffic in front of me). Not being too much of an antagonistic driver I did my best to stop the individual from breaking the law by undertaking; polite foot down to block him in the middle lane helped there.

Eventually traffic cleared and I moved into the middle lane, cue Corsa coming past with inevitable greeting from driver and passenger. Suitable response returned.
icon_wink.gif

Several miles later and not far off the 4 lane section at Thelwall viaduct the traffic came to another stop. This time I am in the inside lane. One of the motorway cars went past on the hard shoulder with lights on. My first thought was 'I'm going to be late as there has probably been a prang ahead'. Traffic starts moving slowly and I notice the motorway vehicle stopped near a bridge in the distance. Approaching the bridge I notice that the fast lane isn't moving and cars are trying to get into the middle lane. I then see a van at a stand in the outside lane, opposite the location where the motorway vehicle is standing (on the hard shoulder). Guess what was parked in the rear of the van???? You guessed it, the very same Corsa.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I couldn't help but laugh at the Corsa driver. Totally deserved and I hope that the van driver wasn't hurt (it didn't look a bad smash, just a light impact). What a complete and utter bell end!

I'm now considering upgrading to van brakes as they are obviously better than the Stoptech's. lol

Anyway on to TDi North....................

Tom started removing the interior bits to enable the fuel pump to come out and Ben started removing he injectors. Paul found out that the connectors were different on the injectors and had to cut the wiring and solder in the new ones.

New RDX410 injectors and uprated fuel pump..........

Once all fitted it was time for the rolling road.

My car was on the rollers when Lee Piercy turned up with a Voltz demo scooter. These things are superb. All made in Britain and built to the highest standards. Either way here are a few people you may recognise having a play on it.............

Tom

Ben

Neil

Last but not least, Paul................

Fun over the and time for mapping...............

The car was mapped for the new injectors (no power run as not needed. The car won't make any more power). I am now able to give it 'full beans' without any worries.
icon_biggrin.gif

Glad to say the drive home was uneventful. Now looking forward to Anglesey next month.
icon_smile.gif

Glad it's now on full song Paul.

I'll have to get booked on a track day with you at some point for a p-ride. I keep getting told you're a bit handy on track. ;)

Glad it's now on full song Paul.

I'll have to get booked on a track day with you at some point for a p-ride. I keep getting told you're a bit handy on track. ;)

Cheers John. Happy to give it the full bean treatment now.;)

You're more than welcome to come passenger but as I have said before, I ain't quick, its the others who are slow. :)

I reckon you ought to get yours on track soon. Give it a work out.

Hi Paul

Good option uprating the injectors and fuel pump mate, I remember when I had my RDX injectors fitted and totally agree with you saying you feel more confident about giving it the beans.

LOL about the Corsa karma's a b*tch haha, luckily it wasnt you that he ended up running into the back of, fingers crossed the van driver was a 6ft 8 meathead who carries a wheel brace in the cabin :D

The Voltz scooters look like a laugh mate, did you have a go?

Cheers Pete.

Would be good if my car hadn't taken over the mantle of trouble maker. Got something wrong as it doesn't want to go above 4000rpm. Going back to TDI North week on weds to get it looked at. It obviously doesn't like something!

Corsa still makes me laugh. Bet he won't drive that close in the future. Some people eh!

Didn't have a go on the scooter. Good chance I would have crashed it! They don't half shift and have a range of 30 miles on one charge. Really good bits of kit. Just needs to sound like it's in vtec. Lol

Hi Paul

Good option uprating the injectors and fuel pump mate, I remember when I had my RDX injectors fitted and totally agree with you saying you feel more confident about giving it the beans.

LOL about the Corsa karma's a b*tch haha, luckily it wasnt you that he ended up running into the back of, fingers crossed the van driver was a 6ft 8 meathead who carries a wheel brace in the cabin :D

The Voltz scooters look like a laugh mate, did you have a go?

As some of you know I went on a track day at Anglesey last week. First time I have been there and a very scenic location it is to.

It is taking me ages to upload some of these videos (approx 12 hours a video!). Below is the last session in the morning at Anglesey on the GP circuit. I shall not be posting any others from the morning session as it isn't worth it.

I learnt a lesson on this track day, as soon as your tyres go off, come in and sort them out! On the first 3 sessions I had the tyres overheat with in 2-3 laps. Instead of coming in I tried to smooth out my driving style to allow them to cool. Whilst I could get them to cool I didn't enjoy driving in the manner that I was doing so! I spent more time trying to drive around the tyres rather than learning my lines.
icon_sad.gif

Either way this, the last session, was my best of the morning.

Next is the 2nd session of the afternoon on the coastal circuit. I wasn't looking forward to this layout as the videos I had already seen beforehand didn't seem to do it any justice. How wrong I was! The coastal layout is far better. Much more flowing than the GP circuit.

One of the lads who I went with put a wheel on the grass and went off. During this video you will see his recovery back on to the circuit.

(video should be up shortly - it still had 15 minutes to go when I wrote this post)

I will post one more session up later in the week which will be the last one of the day. Probably take me most of the week to get it to load up. lol

Awesome. I really need to do a track day some time. Maybe if I ever reach a point where I have some spare cash...
Almost forgot how great V-tec sounds when on full song too, good vids!

Small update:

Car was taken to Grinspeed for a service last week. Whilst there I had the gearbox oil changed, brake fluid change, geo check, general health check and a Clockwise Motion baffle fitted.

I already have a Mugen baffled sump fitted by TDi North which has a plate welded in on the chain side to stop oil escaping up the timing chain. I decided to add the additional baffle after doing a track day at Cadwell lest September. The track day was very hot and I lost some oil (not as much as others). At first I put this down to the hot weather. Roll on to Anglesey this year where the weather was comparable. No oil lost. My only conclusion is that oil can still get past the plate and up the chain on hard left handers. Cadwell has one corner in particular (Coppice) where I think this may be the case. I decided therefore to add to the Mugen baffled sump with the Clockwise Motion baffle. Whilst it can never stop oil loss it will help reduce it.

Some of the service items on the bench with the Clockwise Motion baffle:

Couple of pics of the Clockwise Motion baffle:

Couple of pics of the baffle fitted into the sump:

Finally a pic of Lee & Stevie about to fill their faces with cake.
icon_smile.gif

Big thanks to Lee & Stevie at Grinspeed. Always a pleasure to pay them a visit.
icon_smile.gif

Back