• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 FTW.. Essentially, more JDM than a Tsunami

Yeah that is a crazy amount of money to spend and you could've had
[list Nissan GTR etc here]. But as you say you did it because you could and as a result you built in my eyes the best EP3 ever and one that will leave a legacy certainly.

I think that commitment should be admired.

Yes Sunny, definitely good fun; but worth it in my eyes as I have no issues with wasting my money. :lol: The major disadvantage for me in regards to the entire experience was just how little of the money I made back. But then, when you're building a car perfectly tailored for you, resale values never once cross your mind.

As for the GT-R comments etc, yes that amount od money as a total lump sum would have bought me a one year old example, but a few reasons why the comment isn't realistic:

A. I would have never had that sum of money at any one time to make such a purchase.
B. If I did, I certainly wouldn't have had any money left to keep a GT-R on the road servicing and parts wise. And I know this for a fact as my Dad now owns his second one and the upkeep costs are biblical.
C. Even if I did manage to keep one, if even for a year, I would have wanted to change something on it, and the price of aftermarket parts are astronomical.

But thank you for the other comment, I was, at the very least, committed. :lol:

My second and third comments were pretty ace too I thought :p

:lol:

Totally with you guys there. Firstly, I'd rate this as my favourite too, closely followed by G's EP3. Your commitment is inspirational.
Secondly, I think it's impossible to compare owning an expensive car and tuning an relatively inexpensive car. I wouldn't want to own a GTR or equivalent unless I was properly rich and I wouldn't modify one unless I was a millionaire. I think the EP3s best qualities are how common they (and parts) are and how little money you can spend on them and still have something special. I'm fairly certain I'm still under 10k including initial purchase. But, I would happily spend 50k on mine and create something exceptional if I were able.

With you Jimbo. Karl's then G's then I'd have to say it's a toss up between yours or Ujays Silver and Yellow machine.

Don't get the logic of "oh, you could have bought a GTR with that cash!"

Yes, you could, but then you'd be the same as all the other GTRs out there.

This way, you've had the best CTR in the UK (not qualified to branch with my aspersions further around the world), rather than a car that's the same as everyone else's that owns one.

Having experienced both, whilst the GTR elicits a response from "car people", the CTR just confused and shocked everyone in equal measure. Loved it. Just regret not having a drive when the opportunity presented itself.

And thank you all for the kind words. Jack nailed my thought process perfectly. With the EP3 I strived for the best, building something no-one else had; which, to me, is far more meaningful than dropping the same amount on a supposedly better car in the first place. I can't help but tinker. Hell, I'm modifying a Volvo for crying out loud. :lol:

And alas Ed, going balls out on the engine was the final piece of the puzzle (aside from perhaps a weld in cage). But after totalling the cost of what I wanted to achieve I had to call it a day rather than accept second rate and build something of a lower spec.

Well the day has finally arrived when I no longer have anything from the EP3 left in my possession. Eight months after stripping her down, the last item has sold.

Well seeing as I'm a tad OCD, I have remembered today that I have a spreadsheet of all of my parts, who I sold them to, at what price, and when they transferred the money. :lol: Yet seeing as it was so long in between the last item sold and the final item (Mu discs for an offensive price) I had forgotten about it. But it is now updated/ complete.

Just a note on the losses you make when you modify a car; compared to what I had spent, my return in monetary terms was £14,415. A mere 26.5% of what it cost me. But then you don't modify a car to reap financial reward; it was worth every penny!

It is also worth noting that from that figure I had to spend about £2,000 in garage fees getting the bits that I couldn't do myself swapped over; gearbox internals mainly. So about a £12k return. Which I suppose isn't too bad, I guess it's all relative.

Back