• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. N

EP3 Stuck Rear Caliper, what to do?

I changed one of my rears back in the summer, the handbrake mechanism within the caliper had failed and seized on. This may be your problem and you can test for it by manually moving the handbrake arm on the caliper and see how well it moves. I also got a refurbed genuine nissin pair from ebay...
  2. N

EP3 Do i need to change the timing chain ?

Mine is on 102k and hadn't even considered changing it. I reckon a little stretch is normal and it happens early in the chain's life rather than at a certain high milage.
  3. N

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

I sat on the motorway for an entire tankful @60mph and got 38mpg but have never seen above that. Are you by any chance using super unleaded? perhaps that gives the 10% extra efficiency but even so!
  4. N

EP3 EP3 idling low on start up

A cold engine requires more fuel in order to hold an idle and not stall so your not getting enough fuel (or too much air). Possibly ECU related or injector issue hopefully someone else can offer more!
  5. N

EP3 Windscreen Replacement Cost??

Definately go through your insurance. I had a new one fitted 3 years ago, IIRC it ranged from £400 to £650 to sort myself depending where you source it from. I did some false quotes online at the time with 1x windscreen claim and there was no difference in premium. If you do claim over the...
  6. N

EP3 10w60 oil used for over 10k km - no issues but I have questions

Cant comment on 10W60 experience, but I think its a good idea to go a touch thicker on a car with higher milages as the engine has more wear - looser tolerances so the thicker oil will address this somewhat. Mine does seem to burn a bit less now i've moved from 5W30 to 5W40 but don't think i'd...
  7. N

EP3 Misfire when wet - Help needed please.

I have never seen a faulty coil pack on any of my vehicles, friends or family's. The chances of having 4 bad coil packs at once?! I'd be inclined to just buy one or two and experiment - they are easy enough to swap out
  8. N

EP3 Does my clutch need changing?

When i changed my clutch there was a little bit of meat left on the friction plates but the pressure plate was causing pedal stiffness like you experience. You will find vtec gearchanges start to get difficult if you go beyond this phase. Regards slipping i just think on these cars the...
  9. N

EP3 New to the Forum / Hopefully Purchasing my first Ep3

Just the usuals that are often overlooked in the excitement of buying - how much tread is on the tyres and how much meat is left on the brake pads. Are the discs deeply grooved or rusted - If you are paying good money then you dont want to find it needs £400 of consumables straight after...
  10. N

EP3 Coolant change tips

I did this today on my EP3 and thought ill post some tips. 1. There is a cut out section in the splash guard just to the right of the centre of the car. It is large enough for your hand to reach through where you will feel the radiator drain tap. The fluid drains from a hole within this...
  11. N

EP3 squeaking noise from the front

Possibly the brake pad wear limit indicator? It sounds embarressing when driving forwards at low speed and hideous when reversing, but does its job to draw your attention to the worn pads!
  12. N

EP3 daily living with an ep3

Agreed i've always thought they could have made 6th a bit taller for the motorway. There is enough torque to pull it. And to be honest who does top gear roll ons in an Ep3 when you can just drop down 2 gears instead.
  13. N

EP3 Ep3 caliper colour

My cosmic has red calipers and i quite like the look, but i bought the car like that. I assumed it was the stock colour for cosmic but sounds like maybe not!
  14. N

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

^^This. And modding an NA for power is not worth the money to me. I've often thought Honda could of easily made the civic 240hp using the S2000 engine but chose not to, they had their reasons. You learn to carry more corner speed which is where most of the fun is. Just wait a few years then go...
  15. N

Yeah get used to using the dipstick regular to check oil levels. The oil light is absolute emergency - if ever you see it then switch off the engine and stick her in neutral RAPID. Just roll till you find a safe place to stop and investigate. Regards tyres ive enjoyed falkens, Avon ZZ3 and more...
  16. N

EP3 Ep3 clutch problems after 20k..

I always though clutch judder was down to glazed surface material but im not sure what scenarios would create that, the disc is trash at that point. I think the main problem on the civic is the pressure plate wears first. When i changed my clutch at 80k there was still a mm of material on the...
  17. N

Was wondering why you didnt bring the car back the same day, i'd hate to wait a week too. Hopefully you read the above replies in the nick of time :eek:
  18. N

Keep a close eye on the keys or she will be out driving it while your asleep :lol: ...some girlies seem to love the car. From the drivers seat at least!
  19. N

What people are trying to explain is without paperwork or service stamp book then worst case scenario the car might have had little or no oil changes. Also the valve service is due every 25k and if theres no evidence of one so far, you have to assume it hasn't been done so it definately...
  20. N

Quite a few trade cars I have been to see in the past always seem to have stamped books but a distinct lack of paperwork. I thought it was strange too, i guess some folk dont like clutter?
  21. N

I'd really want the fully stamped book or invoices for services, one or the other is fine. Is he saying its missing both both?
  22. N

The power is there, you just have to use the gearbox a bit more than you would with a V5 or a turbo golf GTI. It depends on the conditions and if clutch is used etc but if it was a 2nd gear roll from 10mph to 70mph i reckon the golf hits 70 at same time as the civic, but if it was 0-70 with...
  23. N

No the pull wont be the same from 1-5000rpm thats what i was touching on earlier. I think the golf weighs 50kg more but it will probably still feel more urgent in this range because of the extra cc and by nature of a V shaped engine, torque lower down the rev range. But when you hit vtec at...
  24. N

Interesting first post! I have had mine for 4 years as a daily driver and have measured the economy across a full tank about 5 times. When driving all motorway i got an average of 35mpg one summer with the air con on the entire way. The worst average i got was daily commuting about 24mpg accross...
  25. N

EP3 Hub swap to move caliper location

On top of all that i guess you have to also declare it to the insurers as a "modification" or else!
  26. N

EP3 Facelift EP3: any idea on these 2 noises? Help appreciated.

Bit suspicious you've had someone recently doing work on the front left side of your car and that being the source of the first noise immediately afterwards? i'd take it back to them. Regards the clutch it sounds like the warranty will cover everything except flywheel which is fair enough...
  27. N

EP3 Unsure which to go for!

In my typical style of going off on a tangent...Something to consider is it takes 5-10 miles to warmup the engine properly on these cars depending on the time of year so it might not be fit for what you need. Just speaking as someone who has one as a daily driver the last 3 years! They can be...
  28. N

EP3 EP3 Steering

Did you get the tyres today? new fronts do initially tend to feel a bit lighter steering (less grip) due to the factory finish on the rubber. If it still wont hold straight though you need someone knowledgable to test drive it asap, i personally wouldn't let steering related issues fester
  29. N

Engine clicking or tapping.. need opinions please ..!

No wonder the dipstick is low when most of the oil is hitting the upstairs bedroom windows!:lol: That noise sounds like camchain tensioner to me
  30. N

EP3 Looking for an EP3.. Again!

I've always thought the whole point of a camchain is to reduce the maintenance (and increase reliability) aspects vs cambelt. If it was meant to be routinely replaced why not just fit belts instead. Mine is on 100k and ill check for slack next time I do the valves but apart from that ill leave...
  31. N

EP3 This is why i love the civic type-r

Does anyone else sometimes find it hard to stay in the zone? You end up staring at the tacho instead of looking at the road lol. I think it should of been 5500rpm the same as the FN2. My mate once made a comment about hacking the ecu so that it was always on vtec cam and it made me wonder if...
  32. N

EP3 Rear caliper shim kits

Yeah those are the wrong pads mate. If your caliper is standard like mine then the ones you wanted were the 2nd link - part number 10160014A. I almost made the same mistake when buying mine from euro. I have just looked back at my invoice from Jan and its definately the 10160014A that i fitted...
  33. N

EP3 Rear caliper shim kits

What pads did you buy? Did you smear copper grease on the rear of the pads? I changed my rear pads back in January and the brembo pads i fitted already had shims glued to them from the factory, so i just lubed these with copper for double measure. I dont recall fiddling around with any secondary...
  34. N

EP3 Gearbox feels loose

At this stage i would be going back to Honda for one more try. Ask the dealer if they mind taking it for a test drive. Then you tag along in the car also to see how the guy drives and what experience he gets first hand. I have done this before with dealers. Hopefully then they will have it back...
  35. N

EP3 I test drove a fn2 now I'm thinking of buying it

Your gsi is more cop car than taxi to me. There is definately something to be said for a car that's stealth and can drop people who aren't expecting it. My mate has an S60R 300hp, it does look a bit Grandad but he has the last laugh in most races. Sorry I think I have got off topic a fair bit!
  36. N

EP3 EP3 Type R Correct Idle/Rev level

800 is perfect for most engines, 500 always sounds like its about to stall to me
  37. N

EP3 Buying Ep3

I wonder at what milage you would start to see power loss from worn rings etc 200'000? Or valve stem seal leaks things like that. Revving to 8krpm must take its toll at some point.
  38. N

EP3 Buying Ep3

One thing to watch out for is the clutch - get a test drive and pay attention to the gearchange if its notchy when changing at high rpm you could be up for a £500 bill straight away to replace it. Good practice in general but especially with your budget i would probably go for something...
  39. N

EP3 Type R future classics?

If its any perspective my mate recently sold a 1994 supra for more than he paid but he owned it 6 years. I used to have an e36 M3 but I knew it would never be a classic because the first incarnation E30 is the one that steals the show. They are crazy money now. That will probably be the case too...
  40. N

EP3 1st Gear Questions (not 2nd gear grind)

1st is difficult to get on my car too, unless i am complete standstill I think that is normal on this box.
  41. N

EP3 Dashboard back light questions

Mine has the slightly dim area on the km/h bit too, i think its normal cause of the position of the bulbs. Sounds like a few people have blown odo bulbs then or bad connections as discribed in my earlier post.
  42. N

EP3 Dashboard back light questions

1: this will be hard to judge even with a night time photo as the camera lense shows things different, i would say these dash bulbs either work or they dont - unless your battery is about to die thats the only reason i can think they would be dim. 2: The oddometer display is lit all the time...
  43. N

EP3 Constant Coolant Needing Topped up

I would look for traces of white residue in the engine bay, as i think vapourised coolant leaves white marks on surfaces. Check the coolant pipes too and from the radiator and any others you can access. Check for white residue under the cap where you top up the engine oil, as that may be an...
  44. N

EP3 oil and oil filter

Yeah it can get messy quickly can't it. Whoever decided to put the filter there needs sacking! The strap one was too tempting as it fits multiple canister sizes if you work on a number of vehicles. All for the hand-tight + slight turn too, hand tight doesnt feel quite safe enough!
  45. N

EP3 oil and oil filter

oem filter and castrol edge 0w30 here. and this tool is the best ive ever used for filters, especially with the cramped access on our cars is a doddle with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121216555774?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  46. N

EP3 Smell of coolant?

Just looking at the manual and yes it does seem to be where you mention. Oddly in the manual there is no reference to 'matrix', they seem to call it the "heater core". I am learning every day! Access to it and removal looks quite tricky but at least you could inspect it. I think it is item...
  47. N

EP3 Type r ep3 facelift clutch biting point very high?? Need new clutch??

Sorry only just seen replies. As others have said, the clutch doesnt seem to slip on these cars and i read somewhere that if it does, its gone way past the point that you should of changed it. At that point i think the flywheel starts to cook but im not an expert on it, i know enough to be...
  48. N

EP3 Type r ep3 facelift clutch biting point very high?? Need new clutch??

That does sound like a good price but as mentioned above - these cars the clutch change isnt as straight forward as most cars - i think it requires particular care/method that honda and TGM (and others) are experienced in. I guess a quote is a quote and halfords would have to take the car back...
  49. N

EP3 Clocked Cars

Are you sure you arent remembering wrong? as its a 2005 car that means you would of had to done an average of 100 miles per day, 365 days per year for 3 years straight before you sold it in 2008? Ive no doubt some cars do get clocked though and without going into detail, one day when fault...
  50. N

EP3 quick estimate ?

I hope not, i would want 4.5 for my 83k 55 plate non-premier cosmic grey. Although it does have a new clutch, air con and rear privacy glass!
  51. N

EP3 Valve clearances additional info

Ok so i did this job a few weeks ago and thought i would post some additional info out there that i didn't come accross in previous valve clearance posts. I have done shim changes on motorcycle engines before - which involves removing camshafts and chain. 1. This was easier because of the...
  52. N

EP3 high beam bulb question

I had a similar issue with this late last year, but cant remember exactly what i did to cure. I'm pretty sure i found a fuse or two that had blown (in the engine bay fuse compartment) and those fuses related to the headlight circuits so i would check that area next... if new bulb(s) hasn't...
  53. N

EP3 high mileage k20s? Ok or stay away?

I sometimes think that my ep3 is aging now being an 80'000 miler. Then i think back to reading bike mag articles about Honda's own CBR1100RR blackbird. They were regarded as being mile eaters and stories weren't uncommon of them passing 150'000 miles and going strong. Wheres the comparison...
  54. N

EP3 New owner looking for a little advice

In the first few weeks after i bought my ep3 i thought the whine was indication of something wrong too. I put it down to just being the way that these engines sound, they are bound to sound different to your usual belt driven lump and the lack of sound proofing in the cabin allows us to hear it...
  55. N

EP3 EP3 SORN/Stored in Garage long term.

My dad once left our family 1989 toyota corrolla in the back garden when we emigrated. When we returned after 2 years it passed the mot with just a new battery. My biggest worry would be making sure you don't get any winter rain water (salt etc) on the calipers before you store it. You may get...
  56. N

EP3 Clutch conundrum

Hello to all I am a newbie here, i am an owner of a cosmic 2005 EP3 for just under 2 years and counting. I'm loving the car (well i was) and nice to be a member on here. Hopefully i can give a bit back as i am quite technical and open minded from experience of tinkering with motorcycles. Here's...
Back