• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Problems, VTEC Juddering And Bogging Down, Broken CD and Wheel Vibrations :(

When you turn the ignition on, is the EML actually coming on and then going out when the engine starts? What I'm asking is if someone has removed the bulb.

Normally when there's an issue with VTEC or the engine not revving right, it can be to do with oil level, but as you say, that's fine. If not, then you'd think an EML would come on.

Have you looked at the plugs yet?

Haven't checked plugs yet mate, didn't get chance.

I don't believe this some sly **** has taken the bulb out. On 2nd ignition when all the lights come on that one is out :( totally gutted like! Can't believe someone would go to all that trouble on such a nice car rather than just fix the problem!

Guessing I'll need to get it on a fault reader? Honda dealer only, or is there other places that can check? There goes a simple fix out the window!!!!

Cheers Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. Welcome to the forum.

A shame that the previous owner(s) may have pulled the EML light out. Sly tactics. However, Honda do charge heavy money just to get a scanner plugged into the car. Are any of the tuners close by you? You will get quality service and a fix within a reasonable price.

If you know anyone with a fault reader then you could trace the code yourself and attempt a fix if possible. I've used my Dad's scanner to read faults and check codes (Vauxhall generic OBD II unit).

In the mean time clean the air filter and check the plugs. Book it in for an oil and filters change. And run a tank of 97RON through. :)

Haven't checked plugs yet mate, didn't get chance.

I don't believe this some sly **** has taken the bulb out. On 2nd ignition when all the lights come on that one is out :( totally gutted like! Can't believe someone would go to all that trouble on such a nice car rather than just fix the problem!

Guessing I'll need to get it on a fault reader? Honda dealer only, or is there other places that can check? There goes a simple fix out the window!!!!

Cheers Alex

My first thoughts were that it may be that, but didn't think anyone would be so sly, so wanted the basics checked first. Get the fault code read ASAP, as per the link in Shaenei's post. It's easy enough to do, Honda charge around £80 for reading the code. Once you know the code post here or look it up.

I just can't believe you would bother all that effort instead of getting it fixed! I'll have to get a new EML bulb before i can read the code as there's no light to flash!!!!!!

Got a mechanic I use who has a code reader so I'll wip it up to him ASAP if getting a bulbs going to take time and find out what's wrong with it and assess the situation from there!

£80!!! Toyota charged me £38 once and I was in shock lol!

Have a very bad feeling as obviously it's not going to be something simple or the person who did it would have just got it fixed over taking the bulb out!

Cheers to everyone contributing towards this thread! I'd be lost without the support and advice offered so far!

Alex.

You do not need to get the EML bulb fixed as a first job - from what I have understood from you previous post - but to get a code reader plugged to the car as a matter of importance. The EML light does not flash any codes out. (Apologises if I have misunderstood).

The OBD II port is in the drivers footwell near to your left knee is - have a feel around the edge of the plastics as it may be tucked away.

Keep posting. The collective knowledge on here is immense. 8)

Yeah mate i could read the code myself but this would involve getting a new bulb before hand!
Im working untill 8 tonight so I'm going to try and get a code reader on it tomorrow I'm not really fussed what it cost it will be a lot less than a new engine that's for sure!

Your right there, people have been spot on as I said and it's massively appreciated! I'll post up once it's done tomorrow.

Right lads nipped out at lunch time And got it done! I'm starving but least I no what's up with it now

The faults that came back are as follows

0301 CAT B2 Deterioration

Also

Lambda probe is flagging up as a fault aswell

Indeed they would, i had a lambda sensor break on my yaris which caused the cat to spit its gutts out. Nightmare this then ran with a low down flat spot!

Passed an MOT in december so emissions "should" have been ok then.

Dont no if i should try replacing the lambda sensor/sensors first then the CAT if needs be.

Does anyone have any idea if the lambda sensor before the cat would cause this or the one after, as if i remember correctly one monitors emissions and the other moniters loads of stuff such as air, unburnt fuel, emissions etc and directly affects the performance of the car

Cheers Alex

Go for the lambda sensors first and change the cat if the fault hasn't cleared. It's lucky really as you can pick both up for not much money really.

Best bet ebay? or are there any un-tapped resources i dont know about?

Also it doesnt say which lambda it is so which would you go about changing first?

From what i can see lambda is about £100 on ebay and Cat is £200+fitting

Thanks Again Alex

Best bet ebay? or are there any un-tapped resources i dont know about?

Also it doesnt say which lambda it is so which would you go about changing first?

From what i can see lambda is about £100 on ebay and Cat is £200+fitting

Thanks Again Alex

Call TGM on 01252 811972. Tom will more than likely know what is wrong from the fault code, and he can supply OEM Honda parts for good prices. Cat wise you're better off going second hand as a cat won't be cheap from Honda.

Ideal! I'll give them a ring tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers Chris hopefully have this sorted soon then, just hoping its not the CAT as thats pricey!

Oh ment to add also the plugs, oil and gearbox oil was done at the last service but not the valve clearances so ill be getting these done ASAP aswell!

You can pick up a standard manifold on the forums now and again for cheap so keep an eye out, also put a wanted add up on the major ones and scour egay.

If your cat is shagged, another option is to get a DC5 4-2 and 2-1 with cat as it's better flowing than the EP3 UKDM manifold which has asthma in comparison.

You could even get a decat and 02 sim till you find a replacement, it just won't pass the MOT unless you know a friendly station. ;)

If the lambda doesn't help I think I'll just decat it! Makes it's a lot easier!

Is the cat built in to the manifold on the ep3 like?

SRS airbag light is covered over aswell! :mad: really winding me up this!

One thing that worrys me is on that website it says code P0301 means

P0301

11-81

11-72

No. 1 Cylinder Misfire

If you're getting a misfire it may be timing chain related. Have a search around on here, there's been a couple of threads on the matter.

Which code are you actually getting?

Guy wrote down on the paper 0301 which in his book Ment deteriorated cat but when I checked the link you gave me before for code meanings it means a different thing (misfire cylinder 1)

The other errors Defenatly a lambda sensor error though!

So now not to sure what the crack is :s

Back