• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Problems, VTEC Juddering And Bogging Down, Broken CD and Wheel Vibrations :(

Guy wrote down on the paper 0301 which in his book Ment deteriorated cat but when I checked the link you gave me before for code meanings it means a different thing (misfire cylinder 1)

Defenatly have a lambda sensor error though!

So now not to sure what the crack is :s
Well you need to make sure which it actually is to be fair. Can you not ask your mate which it was or have it read again? You could check yourself, if you get the bulb replaced which should be cheap enough.

Check the plugs, after that I'm afraid you'd have to take it to a garage; I'm not sure what else can be checked by yourself?

TDI North are two hours away from Darlo, so it's a fair treck, however they are completely trustworthy and their prices are very fair. They are located in Warrington and trade on here.

Plugs were done in december so I'd hope it wasn't them!

Ordering up a front lambda today costing £80

Car going up to garage later see If they can fit me in/give me some advice.

The fault code says 0301 and that relates to a misfire in cylinder one so I'm going to go on that. Not sure where the lad got the "nackered cat" code from! May also give them a ring to double check.

Misfires not great :( was hoping the lambda would sort it!

I wouldn't bother getting the lambda, it might be the miss-fire generating the second code.

Yeah just had some crack with a mate who is a mechanic said check number one plug then the coil pack and if not I need a compression test to see if the engine is shagged :(

Starting to get fairly Worryed if I'm honest :(

Swap the coil pack off cylinder 1 with another and see if the fault moves with it.....

And check the plug gap too. A too small a gap caused some trouble for me last month. I presumed that plug gaps were pre-set. Never thought to double check them.

Yeah been reading up about it

-spark plugs
-gaps
-coil packs
-leads
-02 sensor

hoping its nothing major, as the problem is there sometimes and not other times so hoping that means its not a bent/burnt valve or nackered rings

Another thing ive noticed is i have been using a large amount of fuel recently got about 180 miles to a tank and it was a mixture of Motorway, town and VTEC every so often

Thats what i was hoping and thinking mate!

One question that's playingon my mind is "Should I be driving it?"

As i said before its very simalar to the bogging down i had in the MR2 and that was the plugs and leads on 2 cylinders were totally corroded!

With using so much fuel im thinking its more a fault than a mechanical failure cause a bust valve or piston rings wouldnt cause this....?

Plugs and a check for a spark will be done this weekend and then if no joy it will be going to a garage

Again thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread the information has been priceless!

Now i need you to all cross your fingers and pray its a simple fix! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

As i said before its very simalar to the bogging down i had in the MR2 and that was the plugs and leads on 2 cylinders were totally corroded!

With using so much fuel im thinking its more a fault than a mechanical failure cause a bust valve or piston rings wouldnt cause this....?

Plugs and a check for a spark will be done this weekend and then if no joy it will be going to a garage

Again thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread the information has been priceless!

To be honest mate, if your asking yourself 'should I be driving it?', then I think you have answered your own question. Get it looked at ASAP

I'd not drive it if I were in your shoes.

CTR's are thirsty, 200 from a tank could be seen as average depending on how you drive it. ;)

I doubt it's worn seals or a bent valve mate, as if it were, you'd be using loads of oil and I'm sure have a few more issues than you are at the moment.

Hi mate ive just been looking around on the internet for you to see if i could find any info that might help you out abit as im starting to feel sorry for you now dude. A guy with the same symptoms as you found that he had a broken intake manifold gasket at cylinder 1 intake about (1/8"). Before he found this he went and brought a compressed air spray can and worked his way along the intake manifold before removing it off the cyclinder head spraying to see if the idle (rpm) rised!! And it did rise about 300rpm whenever he sprayed at cylinder 1 intake. So he stripped it off the cyclinder head and sure enough there was a break in it at cyl 1. He brought a new intake manifold gasket and fitted it as soon as he struck the car up the fault code went and its been great ever since. I really really hope this is a cure for you mate its worth a try anyway and certainly sounds logical. Fingers crossed dude let us know how you get on.

UPDATE

Picture301.jpg

Spark plugs had scortching marks around the ceramics

ends where white/grey but the bottom of the thread was totally black ordered up a set of NGK iridium plugs to try see if this is the cause. Have a funny feeling the plugs werent changed in december if im honest!

Exactly! Thats why im convinced they havent been changed at the last service! Hoping this is the problem as its a fairly easy cheap fix.

Not taking anything for granted untill there changed!

Back