• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

Obviously Honda want to make their money on this but it would've been in their interest to partner with a bank to give better payment/interest options.

Obviously Honda want to make their money on this but it would've been in their interest to partner with a bank to give better payment/interest options.

Imho Honda should have made the GT version only at a price of £29K.

I sat and worked through the figures last night. As a rough guide your looking at much higher payments over a longer term on a personal loan. Advantages being you pay much less interest. For me personally, my pcp package is costing circa 4k interest and charges. Personal loan was 1.5k. The difference being the monthly payments are a lot less on a pcp deal which suits me, it makes a new car an option which wasn't before. I'm likely to change after 3 years, but if not you can take a personal loan out on the balance. Nothing in life is free, these sort of services cost long run but it does help spread the cost over a longer period. Depends what suits the individual.

Sensible head on, the figures don't add up for me. It's either a ridiculous sum per month or a smaller sum over a ridiculous term.

Que Sera

Yeah, this.

I spoke to my dealer about figures yesterday - just nah.

I'll see what prices are like in the future and look at the used market...

Mind, isn't this Type-R only available for a short time before the next-gen is phased in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zopa loans are the way forward. I've financed three cars this way. Really low interest rate and you can overpay as much as you like. Each overpayment knocks interest off so your monthly payments go down. As long as you have a good credit rating no other loan company can touch Zopa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I got a small loan for my Clio 200 this way and it was the cheapest by far. Way cheaper than banks or High street loans. I'd rather take a hit in the monthly payments being higher than taking a £4k in interest to borrow some money. It's just too much. Definitely worth doing some thorough investigation before you make a choice!

So Lox are you going to elaborate on what it's like to drive etc? Surely it must be better than the FN2 Man!

I don't have an Evo 9. I drive a Fiesta.

But yeah, loved it. I'm an immature chav at heart so loved the exhaust. Don't mind a firm ride (oi oi). Again, the AWD handling did outperform the FWD fez.

Maybe comparing it directly against a pretty well sorted Evo IX wasn't fair but it just didn't do enough for me to want me to spend that kind of money. The M135i was a different story. Perhaps I'm turning into a RWD whore.

Because they're going up in value, just like most Evo's are, as are NSX's etc. The R32 GTR will soon sky rocket due to the American 25 year import rule. You just can't get cars like them anymore.

This. I got a small loan for my Clio 200 this way and it was the cheapest by far. Way cheaper than banks or High street loans. I'd rather take a hit in the monthly payments being higher than taking a £4k in interest to borrow some money. It's just too much. Definitely worth doing some thorough investigation before you make a choice!

So Lox are you going to elaborate on what it's like to drive etc? Surely it must be better than the FN2 Man!

Very quickly and just pouring stuff out of my head...

It looks massively better in the metal than in any of the pictures you've seen. You don't appreciate things like the proportions of the brakes (they are massive) and the size of the exhaust pipes until you are looking at them from spitting distance.

The seat felt like it was made for me. Proper bucket with stiff bolsters but very comfortable for me at the same time. Like I say, it felt molded for me.

The interior layout is very much like the wife's 13 plate Civic, so I knew what to expect, but the i-Mid display is improved with the information you get, the headunit/sat nav is much better and the dash trim and steering wheel really set off what you are looking at from the seat. You just get that fizz feeling sat in the driver's seat. The whole car also just feels solid, well built.

The gear shift is very very short, brilliant. The clutch is light. The throttle response is very quick and light for a turbo. The wastegate makes a lovely woosh when you let off the throttle which is fantastic in my eyes when bumbling round town and in that respect very much like my old Subaru.

The dealer drove it around for 10 minutes first, made sure it was up to temp with the dials in + R mode and gave me the keys. I was doing redline shifts last night and it was lapping it up.

It still gets a nice surge but at around 3k, but it's plenty torquey below this, more so in +R mode. It's not step kick like the NA K20, but I've always said you don't want it mid bend anyway and much prefer the smooth crossover of a mapped K20, so it's all good.

They've been very clever in putting those shift lights above the speedo on the top half of the split bash, because you don't look at the rev counter. I honesty couldn't tell, when I was bobbing between the roundabouts on the way to Clitheroe, that I wasn't revving to 8k. It just felt right for me, straight out of the box.

The suspension in +R mode felt as stiff as my FN2 is now, but not as crashy over bumps. Out of +R mode it felt like a car you could smash around in all day and not get tired of the suspension. Pliable and compliant, dare I say smooth. I was expecting the LSD to be similar to what I have in my CW FN2, but because of the dual kingpin thingymawhatsit, the car tugs you into a corner on the power, but you don't get torque from the engine countering or tugging you through a corner. It just grips and grips and grips and is so predictable.

It's all the car I would ever need. Apart from Forum Stickers and a Skunk2 gear knob, I can't see myself doing anything to it.

I wonder what TDI will have in store for these? An extra 50bhp for under a grand? I bet a remap alone would give you 30+

I've spoken to the dealer this morning and told them that unfortunately I'm going to leave it for 12 months, but I will be back to get one.

For those interested they had checked availability for me on GTs. Championship White and Brilliant Sporty Blue would be available for the end of October, if I went with Polished Metal Metalic like I want then it would be December.

Totally agree with this in principle, only difference for me is because my deposit is relatively low after just getting married, I am looking at £425 a month PCP over 3 years or £850-£900 a month over 5 years on a personal loan.
For me at the moment it is more about spreading the cost over a longer period. I cannot afford £900 a month.
The wife also wants kids in 2 years so I cannot delay and wait for a second hand one as it will be an nonviable option haha. I'll be handing it back and ending up with a Ford C-Max

Still nothing back from Honda yet. I don't think they've any interest in pushing it over here. I'd be surprised if there ends up being more than one demo and press car for the entire country.

I may move to the UK for a proper car scene.

Totally agree with this in principle, only difference for me is because my deposit is relatively low after just getting married, I am looking at £425 a month PCP over 3 years or £850-£900 a month over 5 years on a personal loan.
For me at the moment it is more about spreading the cost over a longer period. I cannot afford £900 a month.
The wife also wants kids in 2 years so I cannot delay and wait for a second hand one as it will be an nonviable option haha. I'll be handing it back and ending up with a Ford C-Max

No offence, but why not buy a car you can afford rather than borrow one you can't and mask the true cost by effectively renting the car? You're paying in excess of £15000 to borrow a car over 3 years. At the end of it you have nothing, as you'll have to give it back to Honda and likely pay over mileage charges or charges due to marks on the bodywork/wheels etc or finance it further, costing even more money.

I could be rolling around in a new 911/M3/M5 etc if I want as I can afford the monthly payments on a PCP or lease deal, doesn't mean I should though. I much prefer having something that I actually own and can do what I want with.

Awesome. Sounds like I better go take my test drive in the new R Loxy. :D
I did like the fact you have the 2 modes also. Do you get a nice pop sound from the car. Like a mini back fire? You remember the ad it did that.

And yes would be interesting to see what TDi North do and Mugen do in the future with the car.

Each person does things differently but to the poster who got married and wife wants kids..... The new type -R is a 5 door family car. But I am sure you are aware of this. :)

To everyone that has bought one enjoy it and stay safe. :D

No offence, but why not buy a car you can afford rather than borrow one you can't and mask the true cost by effectively renting the car? You're paying in excess of £15000 to borrow a car over 3 years. At the end of it you have nothing, as you'll have to give it back to Honda and likely pay over mileage charges or charges due to marks on the bodywork/wheels etc or finance it further, costing even more money.

I could be rolling around in a new 911/M3/M5 etc if I want as I can afford the monthly payments on a PCP or lease deal, doesn't mean I should though. I much prefer having something that I actually own and can do what I want with.

Agree. Lessons learnt through experience.

Part of the reason I'd never buy a brand new car again.

I don't have the balls to drop £30K up front (would rather stick it on another property) - and I've always been against credit, more so for a car for the reasons outlined in your post i.e effectively renting at a premium rate.

Of course each to their own, and ones respective circumstances may make such decisions easier. But I'd need to be sitting on far more money than I currently am to make the purchase on my terms. For the record, I can afford the new Type-R on finance terms using a circa £8K deposit... but if it came to it, I'd rather own it for perhaps double that in a couple years.

That said, I will enjoy my test drive! :)

Unless I'm missing something, why not get a loan at the end of the three years PCP for the £15K? If you want to keep it, then you've got a few more years to pay it off (but then a loan to buy now would be over 5 years for a decent monthly payment figure anyway).

If you don't want to keep the car, sell it privately for more than the £15K - it'll surely be worth at least £20k in three years, seeing as M200s are still £14k. You can pay the loan off and have £5k in your pocket, rather than give it back to the finance company.

I've always had loans, so the car is mine after a maximum of three years, but the above would work for me to be honest.

Unless I'm missing something, why not get a loan at the end of the three years PCP for the £15K? If you want to keep it, then you've got a few more years to pay it off (but then a loan to buy now would be over 5 years for a decent monthly payment figure anyway).

If you don't want to keep the car, sell it privately for more than the £15K - it'll surely be worth at least £20k in three years, seeing as M200s are still £14k. You can pay the loan off and have £5k in your pocket, rather than give it back to the finance company.

I've always had loans, so the car is mine after a maximum of three years, but the above would work for me to be honest.

Wouldn't that mean the car has now cost you well over £40k for what, 5 years ownership? For a fast Japanese hatch back? :lol:

I went full out loan, yes it's skint me & I mean skint me but the PCP figures wasn't for me & I also felt it was being pushed on me.
I'm paying around 550 a mth (2 separate low APR loans) over 5yrs, yes the payments are more but I'm paying less back & I'm not tied to the dealer.
I sat down for days working out the best route, 1 loan, 2 loans, PCP, HP etc etc the thing with PCP was at the 3yr period I would probably need a loan to pay it off so that's another 3-5yrs on top also the final figure at 3yrs was just over 39k which I couldn't justify for a 3yr old car

Back