• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fuel economy/miles to a tank...?

Filled up with £55 of Super Unleaded from Sainsbury's and I've done a mixture of town driving, A roads and B roads with manily sensible driving to and from work and I've used 3/4 of a tank and the CTR has been a litle bitch and only returned 155 miles so far.....

New fuel filter needed for starters

Interesting about the cold start. Best thing to do there then would be to let it warm up before even thinking of driving it I guess.

I was told driving it straight away is better than just letting the car sit there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was I.

I agree, warming the car by driving carefully (low throttle, low revs) until at running temperature i feel is best, as you allow moving parts such as the transmission and its oil to also get to operating temperature

I was told driving it straight away is better than just letting the car sit there.

I agree, warming the car by driving carefully (low throttle, low revs) until at running temperature i feel is best, as you allow moving parts such as the transmission and its oil to also get to operating temperature

+1 I have been told in the past that unless you have a turbo there is no point whatsoever in sitting and warming your car up and although rare, in some cases, has been known to cause damage over time (whether that is true or not). I have always followed the same procedure as the previous posts...drive with low revs/low throttle for a few miles until the temperature gauge is in the middle before opening up..

Where I work I always hear idiots starting their car and ragging it from the word go....can't imagine the life of their engine will be very long to be honest!

There's no point doing it even if you do have a turbo. It's much better to start driving straight away. Just don't over-rev or put too much load on the engine until the oil's fully up to temperature.

In a boosted car it's best to drive the last few miles of any journey off-boost to allow the turbos to cool down before switching the engine off.

This THIS!

Oh crap it's been nearly 2months I haven't got a average higher than 22mpg. I need to control my urges more.

Also I find when I first start the car in the driveway on a cold morning, it feels like death to me if I try and drive the engine when it is climbing up from 5c. I don't feel like the car is ready to even be touched until it's about 30c-40c (1-2mins)

It's a little erratic and grumpy if I try to drive it cold (even slowly)

Maybe just needs a service.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I just put that feeling down to the high idle when cold, just take it easy and you're cool. Otherwise you're getting 0 mpg while its sat on the drive, idling away at 3k!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm on around 200 miles per tank. Problem is I can't drive it slowly it's just too much fun. Normal driving it's fairly economical but that vtec just whispers in my ear and BBWWWWAAARRRRRP there goes £5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must add, my work journey is 8 miles each way but when I do long motorway journeys she is much less thirsty. Cruising at 80mph for example.

Bloody hell how do you drive and what type of driving. As in long distance or what?

Best iv had so far is 320 miles, worst is 180!!! How can there be such a difference! At least you know if you need to you can be pretty economical.

I used to get around 320/tank on the EP3.

I bow get around 350/tank. But it costs me £20 less! :D

Back