• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Speaking of hot got third degree burns on my, er..gear shifter today.....

Some sod seems to have robbed some power as well ha....do I miss that cold dense air? do I F%^@!

So looking forward to driving this thing this spring/summer after only really having Sept last year....

Speaking of hot got third degree burns on my, er..gear shifter today.....

Some sod seems to have robbed some power as well ha....do I miss that cold dense air? do I F%^@!

So looking forward to driving this thing this spring/summer after only really having Sept last year....

I’ve been in +R all day and driven like a tw@t

It’s probably because it’s also a ‘all in one’ manual
This is true....but on the recall letter sent to us it has our VIN number and states our car is a Type R.
Its clearly been sent to all new Civic owners, but no need to send it to Type R owners.
Think of the postage charges that could have been saved. :lol:

hi folks.
I just reserved a black FK8 type R GT with 3700 miles on it, for £31k, registered in 2017.
I am now getting cold feet, having realised the depreciation hit on the car after 1 year, and thinking of getting my £500 deposit refunded.

So my question is this.
How much do you think i would be able to sell the car for in 1 years time, with say, 15k miles on the clock?
I think if i'm going to lose more than £5k on the car i'm going to forget it, and buy a used M240i.

please help me.

Unless you're buying a limited edition Ferrari, you will always lose out buying new or nearly new.

Buy for the car and the enjoyment you'll have, or wait a few years, but then there will probably be something else new and better!

As above. The minute you buy a new car and drive it away from the dealer it depreciates. Looks like the depreciation has already been taken in to consideration for your example.

Is the car an ex demonstrator ?

As above. The minute you buy a new car and drive it away from the dealer it depreciates. Looks like the depreciation has already been taken in to consideration for your example.

Is the car an ex demonstrator ?

it is yeh. I'm really confused about it - this whole thing about VAT and how you lose 20% immediately, or something.
all i'm trying to understand is what price i'd be able to sell it back to a dealer for a year from now.
and - i honestly don't think i'd enjoy the car enough to justify losing £6k or more on it.
£3k, absolutely fine. £4k, maybe. But £500/month? I can't stomach that.

List price is 33525, so they've discounted it by 2.5k.

Other dealers are selling the car for the same price with significantly lower miles so i was going to call them tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is yeh. I'm really confused about it - this whole thing about VAT and how you lose 20% immediately, or something.
all i'm trying to understand is what price i'd be able to sell it back to a dealer for a year from now.
and - i honestly don't think i'd enjoy the car enough to justify losing £6k or more on it.
£3k, absolutely fine. £4k, maybe. But £500/month? I can't stomach that.

List price is 33525, so they've discounted it by 2.5k.

Other dealers are selling the car for the same price with significantly lower miles so i was going to call them tomorrow.

I would say the car is over priced - I bought a metallic 67 plate GT FK8 with less than 300 miles on the clock for £28995 in February from a Honda dealer (Lister Solihull). That also included the 5 year service pack.

If you buy a new or dealer registered car for an example price of £30k, the net price of the car is £25k paid to the dealer and the VAT paid to HMRC @ 20% is £5k.

If you sell privately you might get some of the tax back in the sale price, if you sell to the trade you probably won't unless it's smoke and mirrors on a PX deal.

i suppose i'm looking at this the wrong way too...i shouldn't think of it as an asset. Its a toy thats costing me £30k which will be paid over 3 years. I need to view it as such and not think about depreciation.
Yeh i agree, it is overpriced. I'm going to bide my time and call up other dealers.

I was really surprised when they hardly budged on price. It was advertised at 31995, I got them to 30995 - I took along a printout where i'd typed in a spreadsheet every FK8, price, mileage, and dealer, and whether it included the service plan.
Thanks for the info, i'll negotiate harder!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back