• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to calculate your MPG

Shifty - I get about 150-180miles on £10-11 worth of fuel on my 125cc Scoot & I ride it worse than any 16 year old around town mate & still getting 80+mpg.

Shifty - I get about 150-180miles on £10-11 worth of fuel on my 125cc Scoot & I ride it worse than any 16 year old around town mate & still getting 80+mpg.

what test would you need to take please so that you didn't have to keep retaking it, would it be the full blown bike test? Not sure I could cope with gear changes on a bike

Just do a CBT once every 2 years, it's as easy as that Ben.
Buy a 125cc scooter, jacket, lid, gloves & done.

Just do a CBT once every 2 years, it's as easy as that Ben.
Buy a 125cc scooter, jacket, lid, gloves & done.

Think at the end of the year I might have to do that. Just think a newish bike is really cheap, I guess insurance isn't too bad, tax cheap, its just the Reading drivers that should be fun!

Depends on your budget Chris.
Sorry mate, but you'll find one to suit all budgets, but like motors doesn't mean it'll be any good.
You get what you pay for.

Never heard of them. Guessing they'd be some Chinese thingy.
I'd personally go BIG manufacturers....Honda, Yamaha, Vespas etc but I bet these are just rip off models anyways & would be fine.
Just check to see if they can take other manufacturers parts as supply could be an issue.

I remember always struggling to try and ride my mates 50cc when I was 15, could never get the hang of gears. How do you know what gear you are in when coming to a stop?

How do you know what gear you are in when coming to a stop?

Practice, and technique. Downshift as you come to a halt. That said, most new bigger bikes have shift indicators.

TBH, if you're thinking of sticking with twist and go, I would do the full test and get something with a bit more go. That commute will become unpleasant after a while on a 125, both for you and it. In the same vein, as Lee has mentioned stick with the major manufacturers. It'll make things a lot easier in terms of parts backup, and they can take the miles a lot better.

However, 15 was a long time ago mate. Many schools do taster lessons just to get a feel - might be worth taking one to see how you get on.

Depends on what his commute is in IMO Drew.
If it's town stuff a 125cc is plenty, if you're doing a fair amount of dual carriage way or motorway, I say 400cc min.

I'd hate a scooter type bike, lowest I'd go is anything that is beginning to resemble a sports bike. I just couldn't face a scooter, even though it's better for everything I'd use it for.

Shifty - my dad's got a 650cc bike and he gets about 45 mpg from it (not riding particularly frugally).

If you're interested in trying out biking have you looked at http://www.geton.co.uk/ ? They do events where you can go and have a play on a few bikes for free to see if you like it before you go for your CBT.

I done my direct access the other week. In total it cost me 450quid for my unit one and two and three days training. Once you done your cbt you will be used to the gears so jumping on to a 600cc after is very fun and much easier to ride i think

Depends on what his commute is in IMO Drew.
If it's town stuff a 125cc is plenty, if you're doing a fair amount of dual carriage way or motorway, I say 400cc min.

Sorry Lee, I wasn't clear in my meaning. Knowing the commute, I think it would be asking a lot of a 125 on a daily basis, and something with a bit more pep would make things much safer and relaxed for him doing 50 miles a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hate a scooter type bike, lowest I'd go is anything that is beginning to resemble a sports bike. I just couldn't face a scooter, even though it's better for everything I'd use it for.

Shifty - They are more fun than anyone will admit. Like fcuking a fat bird really.

Sorry Lee, I wasn't clear in my meaning. Knowing the commute, I think it would be asking a lot of a 125 on a daily basis, and something with a bit more pep would make things much safer and relaxed for him.

Nice one, seems a bigger cc is the way forward to Benny Boy then.

Shifty - They are more fun than anyone will admit. Like fcuking a fat bird really.

My local bike shop in Southampton did Gileras also, they had a heavily tweaked Runner 180SP that would crack a mid 13s standing 1/4 on a good day (normally shortly before exploding). It also got me pulled on the M3 for 96mph - the speedo being wildly optimistic with a reading of 115 :lol:

i love riding twist and go scooters, lee is on the money. great fun. wouldn't want to go more than a few miles on one though.

I'd probably go after a Honda, you know, blonkers and all that. My commute to work is very slow moving so I don't think a 125 would be all that bad? It's 4 miles anyway, heavy traffic and in a car it's fail.

Nice one, seems a bigger cc is the way forward to Benny Boy then.

Will have to see what happens with work and £££ first but a quicker way to get to work would be nice. There is only one small 3 mile stretch of DC, the rest is 30 / 40 / 50. Just be nice not to have to queue going through the 5hit hole that is Reading

Back