• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 FTW.. Essentially, more JDM than a Tsunami

I think I'm closing in on a replacement; yet whether it's a worthy one compared to what I've just parted with I very much doubt. Although it should still be mildly fun to own/ drive and some people might be interested enough in it, but definitely not to the extent of the EP3. :lol:

I have discovered the last picture of this that I took before I started stripping it; will have to upload in due course.

I have also noticed that my contents page only goes up to page 144 (at 10 posts per page); so I'll have to find a free few hours to get it up to date.

Hi Karl

Hope you are well fella.

Just noticed that you used to have a J's Racing engine torque damper fitted to your EP3, I am contemplating getting one as Sumo Power have a strut bar and torque damper package for sale.

hope you don't mind me being cheeky but just wondered how you found it when it was fitted? Torque dampers seem to get a bit of a bad rep with cabin vibration.

Hi Pete, sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you but I've been waiting to get on to a computer as I hate writing lengthy posts using my phone.

I originally had the strut and damper combo and I didn't think the cabin vibration was anything to shout about really; akin to starting the car in the depths of winter, that kind of vibration.

I then proceeded to fit lots more braces, stripped the car, fitted coilovers, and fitting racing gearbox and engine mounts. At that point the vibration (which is only ever noticeable whilst the car is stationary) was quite prolific, where if you stared at the steering wheel for too long it'd make you ill/ dizzy; but even then I would have never said it was too much. To drive the point home, my wife absolutely hated everything about the car but the cabin vibration was never mentioned in the five years I owned it. Take from that what you will.

My thought process regarding people that do moan about them is that if you want a fast sofa with no character, buy a Golf. :lol:

Hi Karl

Not at all mate, I really appreciate your response and comments/reviews.

I am like you and don't have any issues with a Type R being a raw car, that's the whole beauty of them and I totally agree with your comment about buying something German if you want comfort.
That said I wouldn't want to get something that was completely unbearable but your post has put my mind at ease that its definitely not as bad as some of the threads you read linked to torque dampers.

Lucky enough to have seen your EP3 in the flesh at JAE back in 2013 absolute stand out EP3 of the whole weekend.

Thanks for your help mate, submitting order to Sumo Power this evening ;)

Glad I could be of assistance. If a better half threatens to leave you for spending more money on your "stupid car" though, I retract my culpability. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching a few videos of my old EP3 on YouTube I am having a bit of an emotional moment. Still miss it. Even with all the stress, heartache, and never-ending expenditure. (Not that my Volvo isn't proving to be a money pit too; it must be me!).

Anyway, I have finally remembered that I took a final picture of her before I started stripping everything off; and here it is:

Finalcountdown.jpg

I also need to get around to updating my first page/ contents list with links, yet that is quite a time consuming task. :lol:

First post now has an updated contents list and I have posted my total expenditure after tallying up all of the receipts I have in my folder for this car. You only live once and all that. And to anyone that asks "why?!", because I could. :lol:

I don't think anybody on here would question what you did, just wish they were in the position to do the same. I have a direct debit to the lottery, think I could easily spend more than that if I won.

:lol:

It puts my £30k total on the FN2 to shame.

Still, worth it though at the time.

The money you spent was more than worth it Karl. It was and still remains THE best EP3 this country has seen, it's going to take something really special to top it.

Jesus... that is a lot. Great car though.

I'm certain my spending never got near that much.

I spent quite a bit too though and, in hindsight, would say now that it really wasn't worth it. Got sucked in; the desire to do it rarer, genuine and more uniquely kept fuelling the frivolous funding.

Definitely good fun... but never proportionate to the money spent.

Back