• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Vivid Blue Pearl FD2 Civic Type R

Just a quick update.

Went to Grinspeed today to have some bits fitted, a service and check out some niggles.

duhurevy.jpg

First on was the Kakimoto cat back. It's louder than I expected but sounds pure evil on full chat and some lovely noises on overrun. :twisted:

uzyputyr.jpg

Stevie checked the ASTs over and they are indeed buggered. He kindly phoned Meister R who have assured him they have a set of Zeta Rs for the FD2, to be confirmed shortly, so they'll be ordered and I'll be going back to get them fitted ASAP. Due to the impending suspension swap it seemed daft to spend time putting the rear arms on and duplicating work, so they will go on when the Zeta Rs arrive.

The small oil leak from the temp and pressure sensors on the sandwich plate were soon cured hopefully as the sensors were only in finger tight. We'll see if that comes back, only time will tell.

The front Hel braided lines are looking worse for wear, so I've got some pics and I'm going to try out their customer service and see how I get on. Rears were fine.

u4ase8u2.jpg

y7yje2e8.jpg

Next up was the Skunk2 intake which required the ECU and battery to be relocated slightly, all the brackets for this were in the kit. Tidy job.

a2a5uvyj.jpg

Then some nice fresh oil, you don't need a pic of that...

Finally to finished off, new rocker cover from Spooner Restorations and a carbon plug cover I picked up a few months ago.

atyzaqeg.jpg

Chuffed. Mapping tomorrow at TDi. :)

Lovely noise, innit? :lol:

Fecking LOL at the ASTs - don't think many of the FD2 owners have a good word to say about their build quality.

Bushes are gone on the dampers so they're moving about in the strut and the top mounts are creaking.

Utter tripe IMHO.

I took it for the first run out of Grinspeed and there was a small gap between traffic to make the turn, so I rightly gunned it out of the junction. Christ, I think most of Leyland turned round to look, most of them with this look on their faces.

5ugavyqu.jpg

:lol:

I'm yet to have it on the motorway, so I'll see what it's like at cruising speeds in the morning.

You must have to have a laugh at buying one of the best handling Civics made, then discovering all these issues that presumably make it corner worse than your average granny wagon.

Laugh or cry, your pick.

It turns in really sharply, just when it's finished loading up the springs it all goes a bit Pete Tong!

The rear end is fine, the front grips when you want it to, but at the moment it's a bit underwhelming. :lol:

I always though AST was good quality?

I guess its a good thing that Jayne got a new job, which meant you've had the spare funds to get all this sorted

Meh, that's proper f*cked then. Not good, especially as they were over £1k new.

From memory it was reasonably restrained when you weren't giving it some...which wasn't often :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What made you go for Meister R and not a more established brand?

Pretty sure Meister actually build coilies and the like for other better known companies who just put their stickers over the top. AFAIK Meister are quite highly regarded.

Thought about the koni (shocks) at the rear set up ?

Already got them on instead of the AST rear dampers. They'll be going in the loft in case I ever strip and sell in which case they'll go back on with the OEM springs.

What made you go for Meister R and not a more established brand?

Everyone I've spoken to thinks that Meister R make really good kit.

There are a couple of people I know of with them on the FD2 and they say they are fantastic. Andy (Lunar Tick) is one, the chap with another blue FD2 you might have seen about, which I've been out in and it feels massively better than mine ATM!

Top work John. I love that Skunk intake, seen on one of the Scottish lads cars.

Oh and the noise from the Kaki is nuts. Porthos on DC5 owners had one on his Teg, it sounded lik a bloody jet in VTec. Such a nice sounding zorst.

There's no such thing as good luck with cars, merely a period that isn't filled with bad luck. :lol:

But good to hear that everything is on the mend.

Nice Lox.

Surprised to hear the AST's are buggered. They are good quality and have a good rep among the Motorsport world. However, dealing with their uk rep is a fooking nightmare as he used to be nion impossible to get hold of, and there were also stories of him rinsing customers money on strippers and booze. Kinda funny but not if it's your dosh. Dunno whether he still works there now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Result on the Hel lines. Hel have said they will send me out a new set on their no quibble guarantee. Massively impressed. :smt023

Oil leak from the temp/pressure sensor is still present. it's not a lot by any means but just another annoyance. Will get this looked at again shortly, but as it is it's just had new oil so not mega keen on dropping it all again! :eek:

The noise it makes now is sublime! Properly Jap sound to it, so pleased with that.

Meister R have said they can get the Zeta Rs sent for Wednesday, so I'll speak to Stevie tonight and get it booked in. Hopefully, fingers, toes, knees crossed, that will be the major cause of all the squeaks, rattles and boings out of the way and I can start enjoying the car! :lol:

Anyway, what you have probably opened the thread to see...

Went down to TDi-North today for a full dyno tune. 23°C today and it made:

IMAG2314.jpg

Happy with that, no more engine mods. :smt023

Back