• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 FTW.. Essentially, more JDM than a Tsunami

Apologies if this has been covered, tl;dr etc...

First thoughts are it's not the map.

Sounds to me like it could be o2 sensor giving dodgy readings for some reason? Have you tried changing them?

Not if they didn't go looking I guess. If the Kpro merely told them it was running lean pre-vtec, and not having heard of that fault code before, I'd assume they would say the map was at fault instead of a sensor. I know that that's what I thought. As with most things, you can only make a decision based on the information presented to you at the time.

When I get back from Scotland I'll speak to Eurospec and mention it could have been a faulty sensor and see what they say/ suggest. But then I guess, that if it is a sensor, the problem is likely to re-occur even with Romain's map, so we shall see.

Possibly, but not definitely.

It's run fine since you had it mapped in November or was the Euro trip the first time you drove it?

If Rom said it was running lean when loaded full throttle that would be down to AFR tuning as full throttle it runs off the map. Part throttle and idle is normally closed loop so using the O2 sensor.
The fault would have flashed up only when closed loop so the ECU is using the sensor and for whatever reason its started to read out of the limits preset. Check light comes on and ECU automatically switches to open loop dissabling the sensor.
An ECU reset would turn off the check light and if the sensor is reading what it should be then it will return to normal.

A good check over the sensor and wiring would be advisable. ;)

Not if they didn't go looking I guess. If the Kpro merely told them it was running lean pre-vtec, and not having heard of that fault code before, I'd assume they would say the map was at fault instead of a sensor. I know that that's what I thought. As with most things, you can only make a decision based on the information presented to you at the time.

When I get back from Scotland I'll speak to Eurospec and mention it could have been a faulty sensor and see what they say/ suggest. But then I guess, that if it is a sensor, the problem is likely to re-occur even with Romain's map, so we shall see.

I'd hate for you to have had a remap based purely on speculation. One that could have been biased due to the fact it was another tuner's map.

Sounds a bit like things have been rushed into without a thorough diagnosis being made.

Personally Karl, I would forego my allegiance to Romain and seek another opinion if I were you. See the wood through the tress as it were and not have the possibility of clouded judgement.

Get it booked in with the guys at TDi North and let Paul have a look at the car. It'll be worth the trip if the problem gets sorted properly.

There's always a knee jerk reaction TJ, we get it all the time.

"You fitted a clutch 2 years ago and my mirror got smashed, it's your fault, you were the last ones to touch it."

It needs diagnosing properly, why can't Eurospec do this instead of jumping ahead of things and immediately blaming the map?

Paul is very good I know this first hand, if romain has never seen this fault before then that must be a rarity, after reading what Paul has just written I'd be inclined to check the sensors..

There's always a knee jerk reaction TJ, we get it all the time.

"You fitted a clutch 2 years ago and my mirror got smashed, it's your fault, you were the last ones to touch it."

It needs diagnosing properly, why can't Eurospec do this instead of jumping ahead of things and immediately blaming the map?

That's what we did ;)

The voltage on the O2 sensor and the feedback works perfectly and I don't think the ECU light has been back on

I told Karl when he came to pick up his car what I though was wrong and why the ECU light came on

As Paul@TDI North explained : "The O2 sensor has a min and max trim that it is allowed to work within when in closed loop. If it goes out of that tollerance it can throw up the fault code or another that says basically too rich then it can go into a limp mode where it runs totally open loop."

If the car's running too lean on partial throttle, the ECU won't be able to compensate enough and it will throw that error code, nothing major just a bit more time tuning the part throttle would have sorted this out if the map wasn't locked

For Dotty, the "slight refinement" has just been a vtec much lower, I didn't like it when I remap the car the first time as the torque curve wasn't as smooth (my mistake, I should have ask the customer if it was going to bother him to have a graph that doesnt "look" too nice) you can see on the graph that the power (and torque) remains the same after 5500rpm

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, after just skimming through, this thread stinks of BS. I'll chime in and explain a few things here soon, since obviously it needs addressing...

and TarmacNymph, I never got an email from you, you could have certainly shoot me an email and I would have gladly helped figure out your issues. could have saved you a lot of hassle my friend.

Mase

Hi Mase, thanks for popping by. The only reason I didn't contact you was because I wasn't sure if there would have been anything you could have done from the States; if there was, my apologies.

Turbo Turbet and RobDC5 or whatever ??

Where've gone ?? You seemed to bring all this together and get everyone's tail up, then when all parties involved are here looking at each other you seem to vanish ??

You all seemed so sure earlier ??

Funny though, as it had nothing to do with you, yet you've been heavily involved in the prognosis and diagnosis of MASE's work.

You also got stuck into MASE's work that he did in my car too, doesn't seem to make sense to me or sit right, not your money, not your time, not your cars.

Romain is a fantastic mapper, hell I've had 3 maps from, he doesn't need you picking or starting fights for him.

I'm not trolling, or wanting to start any rage posts, but this has happened because you two started throwing the **** about before anyone had a chance to actually talk about it.

Got to be careful going around doing things like this, these guys rely heavily on word of mouth and recommendations, so saying things out of place or falling over yourselves to attach blame to someone too quick can be damaging if not true or not clear yet.

Don't hate on me for this, just a friendly piece of advice I think you both need.

Back