• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

E46 BMW M3 build up

Agreed, respray was a very good idea, personally thought the chrome was massive fail, especially against the yellow. Much better in black :) And as for the car overall, yum yum!

Don't be sorry, im not.

I was reffering to the AC Schnitzer parts being posh.

the thing with black tyres, it looks bad as you cant see then and the tyres look beautiful (chrome i believe)The CTR for example very stylish. the black alloys makes it look ... well black and you may as you cant even see the patterns!

EDIT: haha sorry it was hard to explain what i was saying lol! but i think you get my idea

jesus it was such a bad read!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing with black tires, it looks bad when they actual tyres look beautiful. for example the CTR alloys look beautiful as do the M3 tyres, the black makes i look ... well black and you may as well have crap tyres as no one can even see the pattern!

Can you perhaps say that again in coherent English?

Very nice car though, always been partial to a bit of M3.

Good progress.

De-chroming is the way forward. I like the stealth approach and will spray the shiny stuff over if it is on.

Seeing your pics' means I could even do it myself. :)

Two friends of mine recently bought an M3 each, and they are worlds apart. One is in carbon black, the other in red. The red one was spotless inside and out and cost £16k, whereas the black one is not as tidy and cost £15,500, both in convertible guise. Nice cars, but as with anything else, lemons are definately out there and these can cost a fortune to sort out.

The black one has had a few major issues already - the rear coil springs snapped in the cold winter, a coolant pipe burst and dumped all the coolant, the battery failed after a couple of months and it turned out the garage had fitted an incorrect battery just to get it off their hands (apparently the proper ones are a lot of money), the multichanger doesn't work and cylinder no.5 has recently flamed-out. They think its a faulty coil pack IIRC, but not sure if theyve fixed it yet. The bodywork isn't in great condition and has chips and dings in quite few places.

All in all, I'd be pretty miffed if I'd spent that money and ended up with a complete load of toss. I don't think he really thought it through to be honest - he is 22yrs old (same as me) and paid £3k on insurance for the year (I pay £520 on my CTR). Tyres cost an absolute fortune let alone tax and fuel costs. Secretly I think he is regretting it now, but he has little choice but to stick with it as he still has over 4 years finance to pay on it! Ouch.

fcuk dude! your mate seriously got the poop ripped out of him! AND 4 years on finance! im curious to see what the car looks like, any pictures? or is now not the right time to be asking lol?
also just wondering how come your insurance is so low? which company you with Chris?

£520 for a 22 year old, I'm 22 and pay just over double. Is your house guarded by security with attack dogs?

And that's seriously bad about the beemer, did he not notice any of this when he looked at it? AFAIK the paint on beemers is shocking anyway (most threads and posts over on DW forum anyway show them to be bad)

lol, to be honest the only way to see the imperfections the car has is to see it up close in person. Being such an OCD freak when I polish my car, I'm a sucker for spotting swirl marks in other peoples paintwork - esp. the darker colours. This M3 is covered in them but they will come out given some elbow grease. Believe it or not though but he just takes it to Mr.Splash's car wash run by the local greasy Kosovans. :lol: At least he has refurbed his wheels (which I also need doing badly).

He always seems to shrug off the problems he has had with it though. Even when the springs failed he just sorta said 'oh well, these things happen'. I think he tries not to let it get to him just to save face in a way. At the end of the day its still a nice car, its just a shame there have been so many niggles with it - especially considering the amount of money it has/will be costing him.

I'd sooner have a minted 330ci M sport coupe myself in silver or black. Still get an awesome soundtrack and a silky smooth straight-6 engine, nicer seats (IMO obviously), cheaper running costs, lower maintance costs and just as many goodies inside. I think more often than not these cars are bought for the bragging rights down the pub rather than the logic and reality behind it.

Oh and in response to the insurance...

I'm 22 and live in a decent village in Notts with low crime rates. Car is kept on the Drive and I now have 5yrs NCB. Last year it was £560 as I was with Directline and they gave me 10% off online discount and 10% off as my brother living at the same address was with them too. This year however they put my insurance renewal up to £721 so I told them to stuff it considering I had earned another yrs NCB. I'm now with Lloyds for £520 - which ironically is owned by RBS, who coincidently also own Directline.

Nice motor mate, my next car is either en E46 M3 or a Boxster S 3.2..gotta go German I think!

just wondering how much are tyres for the MV2 Alloys?

mv2 alloys are the 18s.

"premium" or sport contis are about 140front/160 rear (rear wider).

falken 452 are renowned as being the best bang for buck they are about 100 for rears.

you can get budget for 60-70. fine for summer but i wouldn't advocate in autumn winter months as the cars are bad enough on rear wheel drive anyway.

Back