• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Alex-CTR

EP3 Problems, VTEC Juddering And Bogging Down, Broken CD and Wheel Vibrations :(

Mines slightly different v tech works fine sometimes, engages with noise and acceleration, then other times the car revs to 8k but vtec never kicks in. The code readers are great bits of kit, I paid £20 for mine and I've had so much use out of it!
  2. Alex-CTR

EP3 Problems, VTEC Juddering And Bogging Down, Broken CD and Wheel Vibrations :(

No Mate, waiting on v tech solenoid filter from honda, taking ages to come in! Got my standard shocks and spring in the garage they just need fitting will get them done one weekend
  3. Alex-CTR

As chris said you can self diagnose but if not I bought this model http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U480-OBD2-LCD-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Fault-Code-Reader-/270779044033 Was slightly more as I got it from a UK seller so I didn't have to wait for itHad mine scanned with a £900 scanner that was Honda...
  4. Alex-CTR

Got the car back Friday, been on the phone to Honda and we are leaving the vtec solenoid untill we can get a replacement o ring seal for it so avoid it leaking when it's put back on. Oil and filter have been left untill after this aswell. There's also talk of an actuator on the engine which is...
  5. Alex-CTR

creaking/squeaking steering wheel noise

I have this also I've researched it and it appears to be link to two different parts My creaking was cause by damaged coil overs But if you search on YouTube for civic creaking or squeaking (can't remember which one) theres a guy on there posted up some videos which showed the same symptoms...
  6. Alex-CTR

Right chaps bit of an update Been in the garage today and will be there tomorrow aswell Steering problem is cause the coil overs have bit the dust so I'm after standard shocks and springs to replace them Vtec problem so far is still there after Spark plugs Valve clearances New front lambda...
  7. Alex-CTR

Yeah I agree Chris needed doing ages ago I just put it off as I had the parts recommended to change in my house so wanted that done before it went in. Sure you will agree a cheap and easy fix is always what you hope for Getting valve timing checked when it's in garage, going to have to get this...
  8. Alex-CTR

Right here an update finally, decat and new front lambda sensor fitted today, hasn't fixed the problem. Car is much pokeyer but still no vtec 90% of the time. Revs holding at random points above 6200rpm like a rev limiter still. Car is just stupidly loud now aswell :( The guy at the exhaust...
  9. Alex-CTR

Not at all mate, glad of the advice. The TPS I another thing that keeps popping up when I've researched the issue I will look at prices for them if I have no luck. I have a lambda to put in with the decat so hopefully kill 2 birds with one stone there and sort it.
  10. Alex-CTR

Not yet mate, haven't had time get this cat sorted out with work. Getting a decat sorted instead and just banging that in, then if no luck goin to look at valve clearances and vtec solenoid etc Again thanks for all the input from people as I say it's down to time I haven't been able to get the...
  11. Alex-CTR

Could an oil leak cause the problem, just noticed that the bottom of my engine has a coating of oil on the left hand said (gearbox is on the right) would have thought I'd get a pressure fault if it was mind. Not noticed the car using any oil at all though. Just sorting the cat out now should be...
  12. Alex-CTR

How Much Can Be Made From Breaking a 2002 Pre Face Lift Type R Civic

Yeah, if its somewhere near £3k I can see people being tempted as there are some really cheap ones about now! Then theres the shell that can be weighed in for scrap.
  13. Alex-CTR

Yeah that's buy it now seen a working one go for £900 bidding up the other day and about £600 with issues. Seen some very tempting cosworth engines on there two ! :) but £6k is very steep!
  14. Alex-CTR

Guessing the only really hard bit is getting the engine and gearbox out, the rest would pretty straight forward I would think. Depends on the price of second hand stuff!
  15. Alex-CTR

Was just out of interest really cause I've seen rough ones going for £2500-3000 wondered what breaking a car would compare like.
  16. Alex-CTR

As in the title, with civics dropping in price I was wondering how much could be made from a 2002 civic type r if it's broken down and sold in parts Cheers Alex
  17. Alex-CTR

Sorry I haven't replied on here for a while guys been a bad month for money so I haven't managed to get the cat fitted yet. Also when the cat came the 3 bolts that's connect it to the centre section had been cut so I will need to mod them to get them out! :/ Cars still the same so looking...
  18. Alex-CTR

Yeah I did mate basically to start with he was reassuring about it and said he would help towards any costs to Put the car right. But as it's gone on he has just given me grief or not replied. Had to threaten him With small claims court as I have saved all his text/messages and have kept a...
  19. Alex-CTR

Aye mate, the wheels arent in the best condition think a previous owner has had a good few disagreements with kerbs etc so my guess would be there buckled. Usually can balance them still but may not stop the shaking! Noticed a few of them are missing wheel weights so as soon as i sort this VTEC...
  20. Alex-CTR

I've had that before with other cars, this is almost all the time and a lot louder. Gets worse when in gear/clutch is engaged. Anoying as I can't check it whilst the car is parked up! Will update about the cat soon as it's in. In the mean time another ideas/comments would be appreciated. And...
  21. Alex-CTR

My EP3 wont always change gear!

Ive had new clutch fitted and still have the same problems as you mate think its down to the box in mine
  22. Alex-CTR

Well someones on the ball! Petrol all over the place round the cap. Was slightly lose so took it off checked it and refastened it. Not sure if it is sorted but only time will tell. Really glad its not the tank itself! Was rather hard to sort it as the tank was soooooo full only done a mile...
  23. Alex-CTR

Right o mate ill go have a look at it now, Thanks :)
  24. Alex-CTR

Update 28/03/2011 New CAT and Lambda's here will be getting it fitted ASAP Yes mate i agree, just going on what i have at the moment, but if this doesnt sort it think im just going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage. Cleaned the induction kit and the MAP sensor yesterday to...
  25. Alex-CTR

Exactly mate can't really see any other way forward! Ordered a cat and front lambda sensor should be here Friday Would low oil pressure for VTEC throw a code? Cheers Alex
  26. Alex-CTR

Oil pressure-I've kept the car topped up with oil, pressure could possibly be a problem just strange my problems intermitant and seems to be when the cars fully up to temperature engine temp-engine temp never goes above 2 lines below the middle, gets up to here after say 10 minuites then stays...
  27. Alex-CTR

Thought had crossed my mind, but surely it would throw a code.Had a nackered MAF in my first yaris caused a massive flat spot low down in the revs! was a nightmare. Looking at the last MOT in december the car seems to have flown through it emmisions test, could the CAT be clogged but still...
  28. Alex-CTR

Im wondering if its a universal lambda, could be flaggin up the code but wont be the cause of the bogging down *** as its the first lambda that controls the important fuel/air data. Couldnt see that one when i had my head under the car
  29. Alex-CTR

Bit of info required please Does this look like a standard cat? and can anyione hazard a guess on what the hell is going on with the lambda sensors and all the wires/block connectors round them! Just ordered a Cat and a pre cat Lambda sensor Also just a point to add, car will hit...
  30. Alex-CTR

Cheers for your input griffin Yeah everyone on here has been fantastic. That could be an option as I'm not sure if it will have a safety mechanism to stop it going to far. It looks to be adjusted almost all the way if I remember correctly. Headgasket would surely cause overheating...
  31. Alex-CTR

what other types of codes can be read like mate?
  32. Alex-CTR

Oh joy :/ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160557529712&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT This is my fault code reader above hopefully its alright it has DTC codes and also shows up inspection and maintenance functions of the car. As for the cat ill have a look on CTRO Thanks
  33. Alex-CTR

Still no more codes about 40 miles in :s but will keep everyone posted over the coming days If nothing else comes up id guess the plan of action will be to get hold of a CAT new/second hand or a Decat and get it fitted and do the O2 Sensors after or before????
  34. Alex-CTR

Right lads (and lasses) been to work and back in it 15 miles EML has came on, Read the fault with my new fault code reader (Would recommend investing in one to anyone £20 off ebay and ive used it on 4 cars already works a treat!) As is so often the case with this car theres another twist to...
  35. Alex-CTR

Woody's DC5 Progress *Pic heavy*

Cars well smart mate! Loving the advisory notice aswell haha!
  36. Alex-CTR

Yes Chris I have been driving it, Carefully and doing about 15/20miles a day. As i said off Vtec it just drives normally, probably shouldnt have driven it but unfortunatly i have to get to work and back some how :( Best case scenario is that it throws up a P0304 Fault as that mean the coil...
  37. Alex-CTR

Quick update -Coilpacks 1 and 4 swapped -Injector flush put in to fuel -Battery reset so EML is off, Ordered a code reader should be here tomorrow and will read the fault as soon as it comes back up
  38. Alex-CTR

My old ITR'S & New 500whp+ Accord Type R

Some unreal amount of work gone in to this motor! Should be epic when she is done!
  39. Alex-CTR

Alex-CTR's 2002 EP3 Plus Goodies

Hello All Im Alex, 23 and live in the North East Been on the forum a month or so now but havent got a members thread going yet so thought it was time Having all sorts of problems with my CTR at the moment but hopefully i can get it sorted and start enjoying the motor! First impressions...
  40. Alex-CTR

P0300-Random misfire P0301-Misfire cyclinder 1 or random misfire P0302-Misfire cyclinder 2 or random misfire P0303-Misfire cyclinder 3 or random misfire P0304-Misfire cyclinder 4 or random misfire So opens the scope up again!
  41. Alex-CTR

Lottie's Stealthy NHB EP3 - Update 09/03/11 - Mugen Rollcage

This CTR is unreal! I love how everything has been done "properly" and the car is spotless in nearly every picture! Obviously well cared for and some lovely goodies on it!
  42. Alex-CTR

Just been having a read about and i stumbled upon this thread http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?49329-So-whats-wrong/page4&highlight=cleaning+vtec+solenoid Page 4 is the soloution but ive read it all my sypmtoms are pretty much the same bar the engine management light (Which...
  43. Alex-CTR

UPDATE Ive taken the dash apart today to check it out and where the EML is was stuffed with toilet paper so taken it out and i can see the light now. Off to amsterdam tomorrow so wont be getting any work done on the car till monday but the plan on monday is to change coil pack 1 and 4 to see...
  44. Alex-CTR

Seems to be worse when my foot is planted to the floor
  45. Alex-CTR

Will I need to clear the faults before the problem goes away? Or leave the battery off to reset the ECU. Is there anyway to test injectors rather than replace them. Have to order coil packs up asap. Wondering if lambda sensor will be involved also as I got a fault code for that aswell but that...
  46. Alex-CTR

Coil packs been looked at but that's it, have to order up another set Could it be anything to do with timing chain or the cams?
  47. Alex-CTR

Right :( it's not fixed it! Winding me up now. Going to try get hold of a compression tester cause it's pointless spending more money guessing what it is, if the problem is major and lies there. I can't put my finger on it VTEC sounds like it engages at 5800rpm as the noise of the engine...
  48. Alex-CTR

Also I know this may be irrelevant but what's the crack with VTEC solenoids becoming dirty or nackered?
  49. Alex-CTR

Plugs came today hopefully getting them in tonight
  50. Alex-CTR

I believe it's 1.0mm to 1.1mm there's a thread on here for it if you search spark plug gaps
  51. Alex-CTR

Possibly not but only way to find out is to replace. Just got 4 NGK iridium plugs off Ebay for £33 should be here and fitted by friday id hope
  52. Alex-CTR

Well tbf them ones look shagged so best to replace them and see what happens after that checked them against the head and they are sparking still
  53. Alex-CTR

Exactly! Thats why im convinced they havent been changed at the last service! Hoping this is the problem as its a fairly easy cheap fix. Not taking anything for granted untill there changed!
  54. Alex-CTR

UPDATE Spark plugs had scortching marks around the ceramics ends where white/grey but the bottom of the thread was totally black ordered up a set of NGK iridium plugs to try see if this is the cause. Have a funny feeling the plugs werent changed in december if im honest!
  55. Alex-CTR

SRS Light on...?

Haha who needs a horn get your head out the window and tell them exactly what you think of there driving :P
  56. Alex-CTR

SRS Light on...?

Not sure whats up with mine but the wire under my seat was unplugged that has something to do with the seatbelt so put that back in now and ill disconnect the battery tomorrow and see if that turns the light off :) Wont matter for an MOT *** mate some places may put it down as an advisory but...
  57. Alex-CTR

SRS Light on...?

How much do they charge you to check the fault mate? Mine is on also thats all! :(
  58. Alex-CTR

Thats what i was hoping and thinking mate! One question that's playingon my mind is "Should I be driving it?" As i said before its very simalar to the bogging down i had in the MR2 and that was the plugs and leads on 2 cylinders were totally corroded! With using so much fuel im thinking its...
  59. Alex-CTR

Yeah been reading up about it -spark plugs -gaps -coil packs -leads -02 sensor hoping its nothing major, as the problem is there sometimes and not other times so hoping that means its not a bent/burnt valve or nackered rings Another thing ive noticed is i have been using a large amount...
  60. Alex-CTR

Yeah just had some crack with a mate who is a mechanic said check number one plug then the coil pack and if not I need a compression test to see if the engine is shagged :( Starting to get fairly Worryed if I'm honest :(
  61. Alex-CTR

Plugs were done in december so I'd hope it wasn't them! Ordering up a front lambda today costing £80 Car going up to garage later see If they can fit me in/give me some advice. The fault code says 0301 and that relates to a misfire in cylinder one so I'm going to go on that. Not sure...
  62. Alex-CTR

Guy wrote down on the paper 0301 which in his book Ment deteriorated cat but when I checked the link you gave me before for code meanings it means a different thing (misfire cylinder 1) The other errors Defenatly a lambda sensor error though! So now not to sure what the crack is :s
  63. Alex-CTR

If the lambda doesn't help I think I'll just decat it! Makes it's a lot easier! Is the cat built in to the manifold on the ep3 like? SRS airbag light is covered over aswell! :@ really winding me up this! One thing that worrys me is on that website it says code P0301 means 71 P0301 11-81...
  64. Alex-CTR

Ideal! I'll give them a ring tomorrow afternoon. Cheers Chris hopefully have this sorted soon then, just hoping its not the CAT as thats pricey! Oh ment to add also the plugs, oil and gearbox oil was done at the last service but not the valve clearances so ill be getting these done ASAP aswell!
  65. Alex-CTR

Best bet ebay? or are there any un-tapped resources i dont know about? Also it doesnt say which lambda it is so which would you go about changing first? From what i can see lambda is about £100 on ebay and Cat is £200+fitting Thanks Again Alex
  66. Alex-CTR

Advice on keeping your car safe

Think ill be getting a Steering wheel lock after reading some of these stories! Always thought an alarm and fuel cut would be enough! Always keep my keys in my room!
  67. Alex-CTR

Indeed they would, i had a lambda sensor break on my yaris which caused the cat to spit its gutts out. Nightmare this then ran with a low down flat spot! Passed an MOT in december so emissions "should" have been ok then. Dont no if i should try replacing the lambda sensor/sensors first then...
  68. Alex-CTR

Right lads nipped out at lunch time And got it done! I'm starving but least I no what's up with it now The faults that came back are as follows 0301 CAT B2 Deterioration Also Lambda probe is flagging up as a fault aswell
  69. Alex-CTR

Yeah mate i could read the code myself but this would involve getting a new bulb before hand! Im working untill 8 tonight so I'm going to try and get a code reader on it tomorrow I'm not really fussed what it cost it will be a lot less than a new engine that's for sure! Your right there...
  70. Alex-CTR

I just can't believe you would bother all that effort instead of getting it fixed! I'll have to get a new EML bulb before i can read the code as there's no light to flash!!!!!! Got a mechanic I use who has a code reader so I'll wip it up to him ASAP if getting a bulbs going to take time and...
  71. Alex-CTR

Haven't checked plugs yet mate, didn't get chance. I don't believe this some sly **** has taken the bulb out. On 2nd ignition when all the lights come on that one is out :( totally gutted like! Can't believe someone would go to all that trouble on such a nice car rather than just fix the...
  72. Alex-CTR

Had a good look tonight driving about and it's defiantly more noticeable in high gears 3rd and 4th you can really hear VTEC but it just feels like it's holding back but still revving up slower than it should. Sometimes it hits the VTEC and just flys no problem but a lot of this time I'm getting...
  73. Alex-CTR

Not since I got it, took it off the other day and it looks cleanish, bit of rust round the mesh and few spots of dirt. Think it's been on a year to a year and a half. think it could be a contribution to the problem? There's a guide on here for cleaning them I think ....... ?
  74. Alex-CTR

Aye makes sense mate! Guy who I bought it off said him and the previous owner only ran it on 97+ RON fuel. I've only put 95 in as I know 97+ is good for a car but I didn't really imagine it would cause a problem not using it!? Problem seems to be worse at full throttle, at 3/4 it doesn't seem...
  75. Alex-CTR

Right! This is what I like to hear, was fearing for the worst when it started happening! I'll get on the blower to the mechanic I use n see what the damage will be for a full service with clearance, filters and plugs ! Oh and get tracking+balancing done also Hopefully will sort stuff out...
  76. Alex-CTR

Ill have a look at them, Might just replace them for piece of mind to be honest! If not ill get it booked in for a fuel filter and a quick overhaul to see if a mechanic can spot anything. Would the valve clearences have anything to do with this???? As i no there every 25k and im now on 80k...
  77. Alex-CTR

Right mate ill have a look at them ASAP! Havent had the car long but was on the reserve tank when i got it! Why? Could this have cause an issue? Cheers Again!
  78. Alex-CTR

Haven't checked them mate but if this could be a cause of the problem ill get straight on the case! Guessing they should be fairly clean and not black? Seems to be in higher gears (3rd/4th) I believe
  79. Alex-CTR

Shall be getting wheels balanced, checked and tracking done. Just wondered if there was anything else it could be! Cheers, Shall be getting a Newbie topic going soon :)
  80. Alex-CTR

Hello everyone Having a few problems with my EP3 2002 Type R any help would be massively appriciated! Mods are Induction Kit - AEM Short Ram NNK Clutch Stainless Back Box K-Sport Coilovers (Camber Adjustable) Firstly And Most Importantly! - VTEC is engaging at 5800 as it should but...
Back