• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Messy

Skunk2 rear camber kit ep3 FYI

Due to the weather I had the garage throw them on for me whilst the car was in for timing chain etc. Apparently it's a M12 1mm thread locking but that's required if anyone else needs this part. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Messy

My first EP3 figured it's time to start a build thread

Ok so guides, chain, tensioner and vtc cam gear all fitted [emoji4] took the car for a gentle drive for 30mins to check all was ok and couldn't resist trying vtec just before getting home......I can not tell you the difference it's made! Being the only ep3 I've driven (other than a few rotters I...
  3. Messy

Well my **** poor luck continues, it's been a bad car day! Got a message from the garage that the guides were absolutely ****ed. The guides being the only bits I didn't buy on the advice of several people and a Honda mechanic no less, who said its highly unlikely the guides will need replacing...
  4. Messy

Car now sounds like it's supercharged!!! Not in a good way

Thanks that's exactly the advice I needed. [emoji106] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Messy

https://vimeo.com/145489110 It's not the best video of the sound but you can here the whine in it. Problem is once you get the bonnet up the engine seems to drown it out. Much more noticeable from the cab. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Messy

Which would you go for Mugen or ITG Maxogen intake?

I fitted the teg and its one of the best mods I've done. Would definitely recommend it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Messy

I sprayed the bearings with wd40 and the noise has died down slightly. Ive decided to wait until it gets a bit worse so I can identify exactly which pulley it is, due to the electric whine sound I'm betting on the alternator but time shall tell. Equally please let me know if you suss yours out...
  8. Messy

Central locking not working off fob (works with key in the drivers door)

You could try reprogramming it see if that helps: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?61731-Facelift-Alarm-Fob Other than that I've no idea I'm afraid. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Messy

So, after months of putting it off and getting the financial nod from the wife (couldn't hide this one haha) the car has gone in today for some work: FINALLY the chain,tensioner and vtc gear are going on the car, I can't take anymore cold start rattle! Also having a energy suspension polybush...
  10. Messy

What's the next step to get more gains?

Either supercharge or turbo it. You will want to do it sooner or later may as well just get it done [emoji6] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Messy

Ok I've confirmed my suspicions and it's definitely a pulley. So my question now: is there a way to narrow down which pulley it is? Seems most take a guess top idler pulley/water pump but it's a guess. Are either prone to failure? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Messy

Car was fine yesterday, started it today and it now sounds like it's supercharged! It sounds almost like an electric whine. It's definitely not the gear box as it makes the noise when out of gear and stationary when revved. Seems to only be whilst under load. Still have power and vtec...
  13. Messy

Skunk2 rear camber kit ep3 FYI

Found out the hard way today that the skunk2 kit doesn't come with a nut welded on or provide one. You will need to source this before fitting the kit I believe it's M12 locking nut required with automotive thread (1.5mm) but will confirm this once I've found the correct one. The bolt you will...
  14. Messy

So the latest thing I've managed to pick up to procrastinate the vtc/cam chain is this: Skunk2 rear camber kit, I managed to get it so cheap I had to mail photos to skunk themselves to confirm its the genuine article And I'm happy to say they are, with all the fake crap floating around...
  15. Messy

Type R number 2 - My NHB EP3

How are you finding the FRSU now you've had time to play with it? As it happens I managed to pick up a skunk2 rear camber kit for a absolute steal so I'll be getting that done very soon. I'm still running standard springs though be interesting to see if it makes much difference without being...
  16. Messy

No I didn't want to risk messing it up. Truth be told the chain, vtc gear and tensioner is still in my garage. I need to get around to getting it booked into Honda and get it done. But I always seem to find something else to spend money on haha Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Messy

Think you may have the wrong person mate as I don't know a Laura and my dad died about 23 years ago.....so I'd say he's not doing great [emoji6] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Messy

It's the little things [emoji23] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Messy

A few photos of my cleaning efforts today: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Messy

Due to having to bail my mother out financially all plans have been on hold for the car of late so not much to update, also the mods I had been planned for japfest 2 haven't been done [emoji20]..... Been doing little things, replaced the missing 'E' from the badge on the grill, got a vinyl...
  21. Messy

How essential is this.......

It appears I've been missing the bottom one since purchase but slightly more concerned about the top one. Honda want about £125 for both shields and mount (£57 each). Finding them second hand is proving a challenge as they do disintegrate over time. Looks like strategically placed heat wrap for...
  22. Messy

Honda want a small fortune for a replacement and they don't even provide lube with the invoice! Was thinking of running heat tape along the top of the cat to protect the cab but seems a lot of people run without it so hopefully the car won't spontaneously combust.
  23. Messy

One of my cat heat-shields fell/was hanging off today, well done honda for a well built lasting design there! I noticed the floor near the handbrake console was warm to the touch so my question is how essential is this heat shield? Will my car melt it's self or am I good to leave it off?
  24. Messy

Rubbing noise when turning hard right

Take the wheel off, it's the big metal shield at the back of the wheel hub [emoji106]
  25. Messy

No afraid not, only requires removing the wheel and a big screw driver nothing to it really. And my issue is all sorted now thanks though, cv joints were my main suspect but luckily it wasn't them.
  26. Messy

After much scratching of the head and checking of everything hub realated I found one of the splash guards had worked it's way a smidge too close to the caliper. This was causing the noise under heavy turning, easily sorted with a big flat head screwdriver and some levering [emoji4]
  27. Messy

And the splitter is fitted [emoji4] A vast improvement if you ask me, but now i want to repaint the bumper as the splitter shows it up [emoji23] it NEVER ENDS
  28. Messy

Thanks, a lot [emoji106] Brakes are working a treat but I'm actively putting off fitting the new piston and dust seal to the OS rear, the NS was a pig of a job and the OS hasn't started sticking......yet!! [emoji23] I'm gonna need therapy the amount of brake related issues I've had! Everytime I...
  29. Messy

Finally managed to get around to painting and lacquering. Now just to let the lacquer dry this week, polish and hopefully fit next weekend. It's not perfect but not bad for my first attempt at painting IMO.
  30. Messy

........and we are back to brakes!! The rear ns starting sticking again so bit the bullet this time and bought a rebuild kit as I'm sick of freeing it off. Let me tell you the rears are no where near as easy as the fronts! What a pain and I've still got the os to tomorrow. Anyway on a better...
  31. Messy

Where to buy good quality NHB paint?

Feeling a little silly now as it didn't even cross my mind to try them [emoji23] Thanks for the response, once I've finished making my dunce hat I shall drop them a message *facepalm*
  32. Messy

Air con not cold

Evaporators are quite common places for them to go due to the thermal fluctuations. A lot of regas places will charge your ac system to run at fridge pressures to make them colder which adds extra strain on the coil. Agreed though the hissing would only last as long as the gas is in the system...
  33. Messy

The noise only happened today, hopefully I'll be able to get a recording of it in the next couple of days. It is very odd that it's only on hard cornering. I'll give the boots a check tomorrow, anything else I should add to the list to check you can think of?
  34. Messy

Where to buy good quality NHB paint?

Have recently bought a mugen rep splitter now just to paint it. Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy good quality b92p (NIght hawk black) paint from? Halfrauds apparently do it but I'm dubious.
  35. Messy

exhaust volume

The mugen twin loop or fujitsubo's offerings are the quietest on the market I believe. Standard back box is also meant to be good upto 300BHP.
  36. Messy

Recommended garage in northampton ish area?

So to my local stealers then I'm guessing?
  37. Messy

Air con not cold

Generally the oil will only be 'green' if it's had uv dye put into the system to attempt to track a leak. This is the case on all commercial and domestic systems anyway. If the leak can't be heard from the engine bay but can inside the car I'd suggest the leak won't be on the condensing side of...
  38. Messy

Air con not cold

Sounds like a leak on the evaporator (the bit that gets cold) this lives behind the dash. You need to have someone check the pressures, if it's only just been regassed and the pressure is low you have a leak. A pressure test is standard procedure to confirm a leak on the system but identifying...
  39. Messy

I shall apologise now as this post is going to be a little vague and I couldn't get a recording of the sound earlier. When turning hard right (i.e. At speed and pushing it) my ep3 developed a concerning noise today. Sounded almost like a tyre was rubbing on the arches, however the suspension is...
  40. Messy

Rebuilding front calipers and bleeding brakes, hints tips and tricks.

There's several kits around but I'd recommend getting it from japserviceparts. Afraid I can't comment on what the pistons should be made out of I leave that to the professionals.
  41. Messy

Loosing a LOT of coolant whilst trying to remove throttle body. Advice please.

I did mine because I was having issues with my idle. If your idle is ok there's no need to do it but may avoid the issue in the future by adding it to a service regime.
  42. Messy

Yea was really easy, just plug the coolant hoses one at a time as you remove them and you avoid the issue I had above.
  43. Messy

Custom paint, hydro dipping etc

Recently found a guy on Facebook who does this: zander customz, his work looks really good and rocker covers £70 on an exchange basis so not badly priced either. Thought I'd share.
  44. Messy

Wish I could help mate but haven't got to FRSU yet. If you've read all the posts already here on it, maybe put up one of your own. Hopefully some knowledgable soul will chirp up.
  45. Messy

I remembered seeing this: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?96293-Geo-Setup-and-Tyre-Wear&highlight=Fast+road+settings and this http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?94142-FRSU-Different-settings&highlight=Fast+road+settings Not sure if that is what your looking for...
  46. Messy

Today decided to give the engine bay a little tlc and refurb my tegiwa carbon scoop as it was sold to me in a right state (funny the advert didn't mention that!). Anyway so some before and afters of the scoop: Before: After: My technique with the lacquer could use a bit of work but a vast...
  47. Messy

Recommended garage in northampton ish area?

I've got a timing chain, tensioner and vtc cam gear waiting to be fitted to my ep3 and need to find a trusted garage to do this. I'm aware of the usual suspects (tdi, cpl, eurospec etc) but they are quite a distance away. Does anyone know of and have experience with any garages in the...
  48. Messy

Jumpy EP3 and idle problems

That sounds like icv to me deano, I had the same issue in the end the car actually stalled out once or twice. When you removed the TB did you strip out the icv valve underneath and clean that out? That solved my issue and revs are now steady at 900rpm when coasting.
  49. Messy

Check this link out http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=94252 There are a few issues that give cold start rattle and the above thread should help you determine which problem your having [emoji6]
  50. Messy

Parts turned up today
  51. Messy

Strange noise and mechanics can't find anything

Heat shields and inlet manifold cover are notorious for odd rattles. As above take the things off one at a time and give it a go. Also windows are known to rattle especially when half down.
  52. Messy

Slider rebuild kits-WARNING

As long as there is a channel for the air to escape so it doesn't act like a pressurised piston it should all be good.
  53. Messy

Japserviceparts do the kit with the grooves in, came across them yesterday. Hope this helps in the future.
  54. Messy

Ordered a few essential parts today as I have the cold start rattle and my cars at 112k; vtc cam gear (to cure my rattle), timing chain and tensioner (for peace of mind), all honda parts ordered from japserviceparts. Given the importance of these parts and consequences of incorrect fitment I...
  55. Messy

EP3 type r new buyer advice please

Maybe worth looking at DC5's for that price. In my opinion they are the best of the type r models.
  56. Messy

The brakes were easily sorted once I got all the parts here, just had too much time to over think it waiting for them. Thanks for all the help on that once again. It seems I pick all the fun jobs on civic [emoji23] i was told (by someone I shall shortly punish), carbon wrapping isn't that bad a...
  57. Messy

Thanks. Most the hard work is in finding a decent ep3 to start with these days, wish I knew then what I know now! My wrap has already started to come away in the difficult spots unfortunately but I do love how it looks. Might have one more go at it myself then pay the professionals. It's an...
  58. Messy

Drivers Side Rear Brake Caliper 2003 (53) Pre facelift Type R

If you want to spend £300 on a caliper you can pretty much guarantee it'll be perfect for about 5 years. If you buy a second hand one off eBay there's no guarantee it's in any better condition than what you already have. If your not confident doing this then send it off to a company to be...
  59. Messy

Unsilenced centre pipe or backbox?

I wouldn't say genuine gaskets make much difference between mid and back box. Afraid I don't know what size they are off the top of my head but if you search the p/n akingcool posted for you it should say somewhere.
  60. Messy

Unsilenced centre pipe or backbox?

The sportex has a smaller section of pipe welded into the end that mates up with the standard back box so the standard gaskets will work. I got mine fitted locally for £20 including all the gaskets and screws (non-honda obviously) but as the fixings alone came to more from honda I was happy.
  61. Messy

Does size matter?

I have to say I noticed the difference when I fitted the 22mm jdm rear arb and uprated droplinks. The rear end roll on hard cornering seems to have vanished, plus when the back end comes out (on that odd occasion) it's much more controlled. I think going to 24mm may encourage the back end to...
  62. Messy

Ok so with the car running sweet thought I'd have a go at white carbon fibre wrapping the dash and door handle trims. On YouTube this looks easy [emoji23], they lie!! In reality it's a nightmare! Probably spent the better part of 6hrs all in doing it and it still looks like it's been done by a...
  63. Messy

Carbon wrapping centre console

Simply wanted to say: what a bàstard to do [emoji30]
  64. Messy

Drivers Side Rear Brake Caliper 2003 (53) Pre facelift Type R

Do a search mate there's loads of advice. Recently rebuilt mine and put a thread up 'brakes hints tips and tricks' I picked up along the way. Should be all you need to fix them Even went and got the link for you http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=96256
  65. Messy

Eibach springs

Was gonna suggest drop links, common symptom is knocking noise when turning.
  66. Messy

Fair enough mate. If you Mean lings honda then it's a honda dealer/supplier but never used them I'm afraid
  67. Messy

If by worn you mean they have a flat spot either side that's how they are meant to be mate. I replaced my rears due to that and the replacements had the same flat spots. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261587557733 There's a link for the bellows the guys above in this post...
  68. Messy

You probably don't need pins unless they are bent, scored or really worn. Just new slider boots and some decent brake/silicone grease. As above brakes int seem to be ok from eBay give them a go pal.
  69. Messy

Which events are the best?

Tbh I don't think my cars quite upto the spec you'd like to show off on the club stand so that's all good [emoji6] I shall definitely be attending JAE then.
  70. Messy

CARFACTORSUK is who NOT to use, they will be the cheapest but there is a reason for that it turns out.
  71. Messy

Is there day tickets available? I'm going to be dragging the mrs along and I doubt I will be able to convince her to camp and indulge in 3 days of cars......may have to ditch her for the weekend thinking about it [emoji23]
  72. Messy

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

I've just read all 77 pages from start to finish! Was an EPIC journey and build, was even giving the mrs the highlights, like others so gutted when I read you decided to break it but I understand other things take priority. I know it's personal and I'm expecting to be told to sod off but I've...
  73. Messy

Have only been indulging in the scene for about a year now and would like to go to an event or two. There seems to be A LOT of them to choose from: jap show, British modified nationals, tuner fest, trax etc etc etc Which event/events are the best or are people recommending? Am based in the...
  74. Messy

New meyle drop links now have a creek on speed bumps

Yea made sure to copper slip around the arb where the bushes sat before I put them on, though I didn't copper slip the back where it sits against the car as the bracket looks like it holds it tight (may try this). Could replacing the drop links and arb put more pressure on the suspension...
  75. Messy

New meyle drop links now have a creek on speed bumps

I've recently fitted new rear meyle HD drop links and a second hand 22mm rear arb from a dc5. I have speed bumps on my road and notice I now get a creek from the rear when going over them which I never had before. Is this normal? A sign that the bushes for the arb are worn or have I not done the...
  76. Messy

Nice to know, I'll use them in future, glad you've not had the same issues
  77. Messy

Some photos of my cleaning efforts today:
  78. Messy

Heavy duty rear drop links and 22mm rear arb from a DC5 fitted. Took 3 ****ing hours and I ended up having to hack saw and drill the old drop links off, plus broke my decent 1/2in ratchet. Absolute bàstard of a job, didn't take any photos I was too busy swearing at the car! Getting my tracking...
  79. Messy

I got a second pair of hands to help out the other day and plugged both hoses with bolts and lost about an egg cups worth. Seems it was creating a vacuum and sucking the coolant through. Throttle body removed, cleaned and idle control cleaned. My idle issue is now a thing of the past, thanks guys.
  80. Messy

Well after having the common idle hunting issue for a while my car finally stalled out a couple of times after being sat for over a week. Stripped and cleaned my throttle body and idle control valve today (though nearly a disaster as one of the screws holding the idle control valve was seized...
  81. Messy

After completely rebuilding my front brakes last week I did not expect to be getting sticky/rubbing noises and vibrations from them less than 5days later. After my first spirited drive I got the above symptoms. As soon as I got home I did a spin test and found both fronts restricting!! I...
  82. Messy

VTC gear

Very very interesting, everything you say makes perfect sense and I shall be investigating the issue on my car further now before making any decisions. Thanks for the reply and information, I wish all people I spoke to in the honda scene were as helpful [emoji6]
  83. Messy

K20 - new chain and tensioner - P0341 issues!

I have to say credit where it's due: Ramesh has sent me an email not only guaranteeing the parts but also labour costs assuming photos of correct fitment/timing set up at time of fitting should it fail and be confirmed the chain has stretched in the 12months/24k miles guarantee after fitment...
  84. Messy

K20 - new chain and tensioner - P0341 issues!

Was looking at their chain and tensioner set myself, thought it had to be too good to be true. Oddly enough enquired about these parts with them today (prior to seeing this) and when mentioning this article in a follow up mail they responded with this: I know it doesn't cover the labour but...
  85. Messy

VTC gear

Sorry to revive an old topic here but I've got a rattle on cold start up, was pretty convinced it was the chain tensioner until reading this thread. Other than the rattle on cold start up (anywhere between 1-3secs and only on first cold start) no other issues at all. Have posted an article I...
  86. Messy

Weird noise when starting??

If it's from cold does it sound more like a rattle or more like the starter over clocking. I have the same issue from cold and it's the timing chain tensioner (had hoped it was the starter motor but when purposely turning the key with the engine on to check the sound it's different). Again...
  87. Messy

Am pretty sure my mistake was only disconnecting one hose and thinking that it would just drain what's in the throttle body as opposed to sucking more coolant out through the other hose. Bought some coolant today and gonna try again tomorrow. Thanks for the response mate it's not been a good...
  88. Messy

Picking a decent ep3 to start with for sensible money seems to be the issue these days so nicely done. Agree with jimbo on refurbing the calipers as I've just been through this, it's a common issue it seems. If you did want to do it yourself I wrote up a sort of how to of what I learnt. It's...
  89. Messy

Issue after issue for me at the moment. My idle is playing up to the point it has stalled a couple of times. I'm aware it's most likely the idle control valve that needs cleaning. I followed the guide on here and tried to remove it (looks simple enough). The issue I have is after disconnecting...
  90. Messy

Got it from eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371281781662 Made a bit of a thread on it here http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=96256 Few hints and tips I picked up along the way and links to what I bought etc. hope that helps mate. Let me know if the...
  91. Messy

Bleeding brakes, after some clarification/help

As long as my next issue isn't brakes, had just about all I can stand of calipers this month lol. So jimbo.......do tell? Sounds like your car has been through some wars
  92. Messy

All sorted today, 45mins of extra bleeding and my brakes work an absolute treat [emoji4] the neighbours definitely know my cars back on the road [emoji23] oh how I've missed it.
  93. Messy

Rebuilding front calipers and bleeding brakes, hints tips and tricks.

As I've just been through this and harassed several people for advice (jimbo and jamieboy) thought I'd post what I've learnt and read from other places to help others. Sorry there's no step by step but was learning on the fly myself. Let's be clear this isn't a fun job and it's a fair bit of...
  94. Messy

Leak from top of Gearbox/gear selector cable?

I have the same thing though not quite as bad. In your second photo in the middle is a rubber cap which has an arm coming off of it, that's a seal for a valve (I don't know what it's for or what it's called so wouldn't like to say) mine is very loose and I suspect needs replacing. I'd suggest...
  95. Messy

Minor update. Rebled the brakes today and now they are spot on! Haven't ever felt that good. Took it for a blast today and after a week of hating on the car remember why I truely love it [emoji4] Lesson of the day: wash the brake fluid off your hands before test driving as you'll realise the...
  96. Messy

Are my brake calipers beyond painting?

I've just used cheap paint on mine. Pay the extra money and get decent paint! You'll only be disappointed otherwise.
  97. Messy

Well the non return valve lasted all of 30 seconds before I threw it in the bin and went to the tube in a bottle trick lol. I've got brakes back now can't thank you both enough for your help,I definitely owe you boys a beer or two even if I have to post you a couple of cans [emoji6] I've still...
  98. Messy

Yea no point having them off and not giving them a lick of paint. Though the paint isn't the best quality so I doubt it will last long Well 600ml of cheap fluid to start with (didn't want to waste the good stuff) and 1L of rbf600 I have brakes again. Woohoo, I've definitely still got air...
  99. Messy

Ok so pistons and fluid turned up today, pistons now rebuilt and calipers about to go back on the car and the dreaded bleeding.....must give a shout out to jimbo and jamieboy for all the advice. Let's see if i can put it into practice without having to bench bleed the master cylinder!! I...
Back