• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. howie1987

FK2 FK2 general discussion

Saw one driving through dumbarton, a nice blue one didn't get a good look. Then in edinburgh near the city by pass. i saw a nice black one and got a good look driving along next to it. i must say its alot nicer in the flesh than in the pictures. black one looked stunning.
  2. howie1987

Standard discs with aftermarket pads

Yeah the braided lines do make quite a bit of difference with some good brake fluid. For the money well worth doing.
  3. howie1987

Have £4.5-£5k to spend

a nice golf mk5 gti stage 2+ lol. looking for a nice new owner. chancing my luck haha.
  4. howie1987

revs rise when changing from 3rd to 4th

Sounds like the clutch is gone. But you saying you just had it done then god knows. Maybe not fitted properly?
  5. howie1987

Does a Aem cai fit with an Rbc + adapter plate on a Ep3 with no snaggs anyone??

Tdi north will sort you out, wouldn't worry about it. Their magicians lol.
  6. howie1987

Does a Aem cai fit with an Rbc + adapter plate on a Ep3 with no snaggs anyone??

I had that setup. Was very tight but it fitted just.
  7. howie1987

Bhp gains but not too loud?

I used japspeed 4 2 1. Spoon bpipe and standard backbox and it wasn't loud. Nice and raspy when foot was down but no drone etc when normal driving. Made some good gains with other mods aswell though.
  8. howie1987

Team Heko deflectors

I had this problem. Got climair ones and were night and day.
  9. howie1987

EP3 Dumb question alert.. Factory shock absorbers

I used the sachs oem ones from eurocarparts. Had to send it back 3 times, not sure if it was a bad batch but everytime they tested it they refunded me. Ended up getting bilstein shocks and they were better.
  10. howie1987

EP3 high mileage k20s? Ok or stay away?

I sold my ep3 with 105k miles. Oil was always changed and toped up. Had timing chain etc done just for peice of mind. I still to this day think the guy that got it, got a bargain. K20 engine is probably one of the only engines i wouldn't hestitate buying with high miles.
  11. howie1987

Me and my ep3 are coming to a cross road WHAT SHALL I DO!?

Don't really need big power for a track car. Just get the perfect set up for the brakes and suspension and frsu etc. I have never done a track day but these cars seem to make good track cars. Option 1 would be my pick. Option 2 would be so tempting though lol. Nice car btw.
  12. howie1987

EML Flicker

Has the car been mapped? I had a bad map on mine and the eml was flickering and a few on here told me it was knocking. So yeah in your case it could be as you said detonation, missfiring, dodgey fuel etc. Or in my case a dodgey map. Which tdi north sorted out for me (dodgey map wasn't tdi...
  13. howie1987

Flat fob battery

I just changed batterys and it worked. Maybe due to you having a flat battery on car and key fob it might need honda to reprogram they keyfob to the car. Sure its £30 they charge. Sure someone will have a better answer than me, hope you get it sorted.
  14. howie1987

Wind deflectors for EP3

I had team hekos and the clips kepted coming out. Got climairs and they are so much better and better fit.
  15. howie1987

Loxy's Type R #4

Looks great, more i see the fn2 more i like it. That white is the best colour and if you get the black wheels it will look even better. I have a thing for black wheels haha. Subscribed. I sense another epic build thread coming[emoji106]
  16. howie1987

Base map k100

Could another option not be take the k100 out and send it to TDI north to put a base map on it and then send it back? Not cost the earth to post it and just send a prepaid packet with it for tdi. 2 3 days without a car isn't the end of the world.
  17. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Turned out to be a loose clamp. So a nice easy fix and no swearing.
  18. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Some swear words and fairy liquid [emoji23]
  19. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Yeah i spotted that aswell. Going to check it out today [emoji106]
  20. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Not updated this in a while. Been really busy. So went to tdi north as planned. Am not quite sure how or why but paul couldn't unlock the ecu to map it. I bought it with a stage 2 map from rtech on it and it was sitting at 275bhp well with certain bits missing so wouldn't of been anywhere near...
  21. howie1987

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40

Use save75 for 7.5% off
  22. howie1987

induction kit advice.....

I didnt realise you had decat as that would be changing the manifold, i thought when you said buddyclub system you ment catback. I would listen to loxy before me anyway he knows more than me lol [emoji106]
  23. howie1987

Yeah that would be fine. Would be better mapped but should be ok. Anything more than that though would get it mapped.
  24. howie1987

Its fine without a map. Only need to start remapping if you start changing things like manifold etc.
  25. howie1987

I had it for a year drove in every condition going being in scotland and it was fine. Only thing that got me was being paranoid and i didn't like the big gap in my engine bay. It sounded really nice though.
  26. howie1987

strange rattle.

I can't see the video or sound clip. But my bet would be a heat shield hitting off the exhaust.
  27. howie1987

If you can avoid puddles and like being paranoid the AEM cai is good and cheaper. It is at a bigger risk though so teg m would be my choice.
  28. howie1987

Still having problems.

I use to get this problem alot with my ep3.was always the pistons. You can get a refurb kit with new pistons if thats what it turns out to be. Think its 20quid a piston.
  29. howie1987

cpl reflash??

awrite mate. yeah i had it done a couple of year ago. It did make the car feel a lot better to drive as in just better midrange and it did help fuel economy. it's obviously not going to be as good as k100 with custom map but it is basically k100 chip as loxy said. the generic map set up with...
  30. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Currently in a hotel in warrington not able to sleep. Tdi north tomorrow like a kid waiting on santa.
  31. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Small update. I didn't get the car mapped had to change it to tge 12th this coming week. Car was getting a new clutch in and intercool and fuel pump done. Got the car back and it was sticking in first gear and reverse. After trying a few things i decided to take clutch back out and put a...
  32. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

I only paid £450 for it. It was a special offer for a limited time. The company seem to be quite a well known company though so it wasn't a start up deal. I got all the dents fixed before hand aswell which was another 150. Only bad thing though is engine bay and inside the doors don't get done.
  33. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

34. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

It turns out to be a bolt on the gearbox had snapped. Luckily had a bolt that fits to get me back home and should be fine till i get a new one during the week. The colour looks ten times better in the daylight. In they pics i put up looks a bit camo green but in daylight it doesn't at all.
  35. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

I know lol. Guy was telling me i can't go to car washes etc and i nees to use no acid based shampoo etc. I was scared to open the door. Trying to be as gentle as i could. Parawreck lol.
  36. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Yeah same i hate leaving my car anywhere lol. Yeah its a cracking job all over. I had a few dents took out and they have done a really good job. Its like a leathery feel to it aswell. Looks alot better in the flesh. Will need to get some pics in the daylight.
  37. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Got the car back tonight. Happy with the colour etc but fan is rattling and drivers side is clunking when i take my foot of the clutch etc. Thinking maybe an engine mount but gave the place a phone see if they noticed anything and they said no but it was obvious soon as i drove it and they had...
  38. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

this just arrived. Autotech fuel pump internals. Cars in getting wrapped as wee speak in anthracite.
  39. howie1987

Automek ( scotland ) Amazing

I would always use andy and the lads at automek when I had my ep3. never had a problem with his work it was 100percent everytime and the prices were good aswell. miss going up there seeing them do their stuff loved snooping about the lotus. never got to see it fully finished yet. He helped me...
  40. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Another update.... finally things are moving on. So decided to get few dents etc fixed and then get it wrapped its booked in for Monday for a matte anthracite grey like the sirocco above. I decided to put the trip back to TDI-north to the 29th of oct. but since then decided to go for a...
  41. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

That is a cracker of a reg.
  42. howie1987

Scan gauge

I had one when i had a type r. Am pretty sure it did read boost but me not having a turbo i don't know how well it worked. But i wouldn't imangine it would be as accurate as maybe a boost gauge with a boost sensor.
  43. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Another small update. Decided to get a new automek hpfp to go with new intercooler. Also booked on at TDI-north now for the 15th of oct. Keep getting the eml on, seems to be a common code on them so changed the pcv which i wanted done anyway. Eml back on so got a n80 charcoal filter valve...
  44. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Yeah s3 intercooler is just better i assume bigger. But the ths s3 intercooler is even better and that is a little bigger than s3 intercooler. I was reading a little bit more about the gauge. It has 0mph to 60mph timer so that should be fun lol.
  45. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Think its just been my luck tbh, dv valve is prone to going apparently specially once mapped. Pcv seem to be common thing going aswell so its an easy change. Both parts under £50 and ten min to fit so not to bad. It is a 200cell sports cat so probably does make a difference. Wouldn't say the...
  46. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Everytime i get something done the eml comes on. Induction kit in diverter valve needed change lol. Now my pcv needs changed. Cheap though so not the end of the world. Really didn't expect the milltek turboback to be so quiet though.
  47. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Small update. This bad boy came milltek 200 cell sports cat. And a 2nd hand milltek catback. Fitted it tonight and it isn't much louder than standard. I had a custom section on and the turbo back is actually quieter. But it sounds nice and grunty so am happy. Ths s3 intercooler on its way...
  48. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Its alot easier to drive aswell don't always need to be in vtec lol. But thats probably one thing i miss when in the mood. Hope they shocks are all ok mate.
  49. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Cheers mate. It is alot better day to day driving thats for sure. I get about 28mpg aswell and thats having some fun aswell. Cruise control for the motorway is good aswell.
  50. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

I want both though lol. just missing the ep3 I think it will ware off. I think part of it was cause I knew the engines more like common faults aswell annoy me cause I don't have a clue with the vag cars. but I need to have some sort of dream lol. Tbh I don't think I actually have the full 70bhp...
  51. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Yeah should be good. Am pretty sure it made the 275bhp just with a decat and custom centre section and oem air filter. So with the intercooler and milltek and cai am hoping it gets nearer 300 but not really fussed, aslong as it runs better and also its peace of mind since it wasn't me mapping...
  52. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

I know no one has really commented but hey hoe am still keeping it updated lol. So changes so far. Fitted some different springs as it was lowerd 50mm and not 30mm, so ive changed them so its 25mm, alot better not as bouncy and can get over speed bumps. Got some tints aswell and it looks...
  53. howie1987

TEGIWA intake

I've had both. Cai sound alot better but teg m still sounds nice. Only reason i changed was being paranoid about hydrolock (although its rare) living in rainey scotland didn't help. Teg m looks better in the engine bay aswell.
  54. howie1987

ivtec on or off

This happened to me. sold mine and now I miss it lol
  55. howie1987

Pagid discs and pads

Carpartsforless prices usually stay the same mate. Eurocarparts just have kid on sales.
  56. howie1987

Brake lines for EP3. Can't decide!

I would go for TGM racing's own braided brake lines. Think they're £55 and are better than hel etc in my opinion. Drop them an email.
  57. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

It does feel like a heavier car it feels alot bigger aswell. They're front wheel drive. I find it not to bad if anything more understeer and car just doesn't feel as planted as the ep3 but I did have the FRSU on the ep3 for over a year. It is very smooth to drive and a lot less effort I...
  58. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

Do they really didnt think that. I always assumed the golf would be heavier. Yeah look very similar. It wasnt planned to get a silver golf but it cought my eye.
  59. howie1987

New golf mk5 GTI

I know its not a Honda but I aint leaving cause I will be back in a Honda at some point lol. Anyway finally bit the bullet and went for a gti. First thoughts are its comfy and easy to drive and a lot less money on the fuel. It has had a bit done to it before I got it. Eibach lowering...
  60. howie1987

Brake help needed please

You can get a refurb kit. its new rubber rings etc and new pistons for the calipers. I had to get mine done. am sure tegiwa do the kit and ebay for the pistons.
  61. howie1987

Pagid discs and pads

Not sure mate. Think its 50percent off this weekend on their site. Carpartsforless is usually alot cheaper.
  62. howie1987

Pagid discs and pads

Might even be a save10 if its over a certain ammount.
  63. howie1987

Pagid discs and pads

Did you add save5 at checkout on carpartsforless? Couple of quid extra off.
  64. howie1987

Pagid discs and pads

I used them on mine and were good, carpartsforless is same place but cheaper mate.
  65. howie1987

Timing belt question

I think it was lifetime but honda changed it to 100k as tom says. So should be fine. Can always get a garage to check the timing is ok, it doesnt take long.
  66. howie1987

Braided lines question

I thought the brakes were night and day when i added the braided lines. Well worth it for the cost i reckon.
  67. howie1987

Stock spring colour

Get ball joints and drop links etc all checked aswell as the the geo, as they are most common to break first and cheapest to fix lol. That could be why its unset its self.
  68. howie1987

Stock spring colour

The stock ones on mine were black. think the eibach sporitline springs are red but am sure a few others probably are red aswell.
  69. howie1987

rattle/knoking over rough road tarmac or pot holes

Ohrite well godknows then lol. Try all the usual suspects then. Have a look at the dampner check for any leaks, hope it isnt that but thats worse case.
  70. howie1987

My top mounts had done less than that and one had a split in the rubber. Mine were kyb top mounts changed now though. I would get everything else checked out first as it is bit of a pain taking it a part to find out it isnt that. Hope you get to bottom of it. Dont know how it is where you...
  71. howie1987

I had this problem. It was the top mount and it was a new one aswell. I had tried everything part from top mounts cause i thought no chance since their new so worth checking it.
  72. howie1987

Goodridge or HEL? FN2

They sent me mine up to glasgow. I just sorted it over email. Think it cost me £56 including postage.
  73. howie1987

Goodridge or HEL? FN2

Ive had TGM racing own braided brake lines on my ep3 and have had no problems.
  74. howie1987

Exhaust sounds/videos

I had a piper catback before that that was deeper but not too loud. It did drone but it was bearable and am quite fussy with the noise.
  75. howie1987

Exhaust sounds/videos

I have the japspeed 421 decat with spoon bpipe and standard backbox. It isnt that loud, it is a bit raspy though but when in vtec the engine noise takes over. Since i added the cams and 70mm throttle body and remapped again, the exhaust in idle just burbles away sounds nice. Can try get a...
  76. howie1987

FN2 Am I being realistic?

I get about 250mpt out mine mostly town driving and some vtec (not much though) So if its mainly motorway miles then 300miles wouldn't be far off.
  77. howie1987

Lowering springs help!

Its 20mm front 15mm at the back. I don't have a clue why its lower at the front.
  78. howie1987

Lowering springs help!

I have the eibach pro kit on with bilstein shocks I'll get a picture up in an hour or so mate.
  79. howie1987

Eibach springs

Theirs some usefull info on lowering the fn2 mate...http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?82285-Lowering-an-FN2
  80. howie1987

Knocking creaking noise from suspension/ steering

Mine is going in tomorrow to get checked out will put up whats wrong.
  81. howie1987

Choosing new tyres best price and performance

I have them just now aswell and not had a problem with them, ive had Potenza's aswell and prefer the falkens tbh.
  82. howie1987

Raceland coilover any good.

I wouldn't go near them mate.
  83. howie1987

Try falken ze914 camskill have them on offer just now. Seem to be a good allround tyre.
  84. howie1987

headlight bulb annoyance

I always found osram unlimited nightbreakers are good.
  85. howie1987

Pretty sure camskill are doing good deals just now on tyres. could give tyretraders.com a bash aswell both are usually cheap compared to others.
  86. howie1987

Knocking creaking noise from suspension/ steering

+1 for steering rack, mines doing it just now aswell again.
  87. howie1987

Speedometer lights not working ep3

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?55522-EP3-Dash-Bulb-Replacement
  88. howie1987

front shock absorbers HELP

The bilstein oem shocks are good from eightspeed. if its just the front ones just pm them for a price think its like £190 for front set shocks.
  89. howie1987

EP3 feels sluggish

If you try and vtec it before its all warmed up vtec wont engage. It could be that? 5w40 fuchs titan race pro gets my vote aswell.
  90. howie1987

Car won't start any help?

Changing the battery tomorrow. Been running fine this week but on start up I noticed it isn't reving as high for first 5 to 10secs. So that's why I think it may need tps sensor etc. Hopfully get to bottom of it tomorrow. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  91. howie1987

Big engine problem!!

its the o2 sensors just get them changed and it should run alot better. mine didnt run well when I needed an o2 sensor.
  92. howie1987

I had a bit of a problem with my headlights a few week ago. ive changed them to facelift ones but been fine for over a year or so but my hibeam light on dash started coming on when lights wern't on and I left my lights on while sitting in a mcds carpark with car off by mistake and battery was...
  93. howie1987

got it started. jumped it and it went and went a good drive and voltage is at 14 so its not alternator so must be the battery.
  94. howie1987

Going to try get it started with some jump leads see if that does the job. Whats the fuse 6 reset procedure? is that just clearing the eml? I have a scan gauge and clicked clear all codes and reset but still not had it started since but I had recently just got a new throttle body on and it was...
  95. howie1987

As the title says car won't start. went out tonight it started but revs were well under 1000rpm so I just turned it off left it for 10mins came back and it won't start at all, it turns over but that's it and battery is sitting at 11.6volts if that makes a difference. I don't have a clue what it...
  96. howie1987

Oil light problems!

maybe check the rocker cover gasket is on right? could be lack of pressure.
  97. howie1987

Failed MOT - Too noisey, help?

The backbox would make it a lot quieter. I have a 421 manifold and spoon bpipe with oem backbox and its not loud at all. but I get a mate to mot cause of the 421.
  98. howie1987

What else could cause my misfire.hesitation? So far I've changed...

Its sitting at 92k just now but never had any trouble apart from the times mentioned. hoping to get it checked this week got a few other things to get checked aswell that I think am just being paranoid about lol.
  99. howie1987

What else could cause my misfire.hesitation? So far I've changed...

I think I might have this problem. I did fit a hybrid racing throttle body so expect it to be a little bit more jumpy. One day started it up and it was reving from 1000rpm to 3000rpm then back down. I had a look to see if any pipes etc loose but nothing looked out the ordinary. finally it just...
Back