• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. BigRed

Heater motor fault

Yep, fair one mate. I have little experience of faults on this car as I didn't keep the CTR for that long from new. But I agree it seems highly likely that it is what you say if it's a common one.
  2. BigRed

FN2 how many miles on a full tank

610. Oh hang on, you meant a Honda. Just to continue the boredom, the TDCi I bought after my EP3 because of a new job and mega miles, has been bother free for 6 years! Can't knock the tractor although I do find myself nodding off because of its 'performance.'
  3. BigRed

Heater motor fault

Well yes I did, but it being at the input (which is kind of what I meant) I kind of redeemed myself! One thing, unless diagnosed, it is a bit much to say it definitely is the thermal fuse at this stage. I would add that in the absence of you producing a diagram as top-notch as mine, my answer is...
  4. BigRed

Heater motor fault

Check if it has failed at all speeds, if it has, it is likely to be the motor, resistor pack faults usually knock out some but not all speeds. Unless it has failed at the input of course. My dodgy sketch may help....then again, it might not.
  5. BigRed

Poor MPG after oil and filter change

Dan, sorry if this is a daft question, but was the oil the correct spec? Wrong viscosity can cause all manner of woes.
  6. BigRed

EP3 Car Battery

De-ionised water matey! Basically purified water that removes conductive elements.
  7. BigRed

Got myself a CTR but not happy

I must be a loser too, a lovely, cool, unruffled loser:D
  8. BigRed

horn

I've changed dozens over the years. Normally you only have to contend with one mounting bolt and a connector, it's as easy as that.
  9. BigRed

FN2 how many miles on a full tank

Sorry to jump in about my EP3 when I had it, 270 was about it for me too. Then it was refill time. The feck arse of a tractor I drive now gives me 520 to the tank but I'm generally too drowzy to realise how economical it is.:lol:
  10. BigRed

CTR all paid for!

Nice one Smeg. I remember paying mine off in 2005, quite liberating it was too. I quickly found something else to spend it on though. PS I no longer have the Type R, I now run a TDCi Focus which is sh1t slow, and turns in like an aircraft carrier. Still, the thing is OK for now as I'm...
  11. BigRed

Face lift rear lights

Why would you want to, they look bloody awful. The original pre facelifts were much better looking.
  12. BigRed

EP3 earthing kit?

You need to accept that the existing earth connections are rubbish for there to be any benefit. I do not. Since most components work within a voltage range and current flow is unlikely to reach levels where serious volts drop occurs with the stock bonding and earthing, I see little value...
  13. BigRed

Should the tensioner belt move around?

Sounds like your belt is worn mate.
  14. BigRed

FN2 FN2 Facts: Strange but True!

That is probably the most interesting thing to ever happen at Marham.:lol:
  15. BigRed

Arrival of the 'R'

No..........not at all.:)
  16. BigRed

Got My CTR back from CPL Racing Today

Thought they would have washed the thing for you;) but nice one mate, glad you're happy with the mods.
  17. BigRed

Air bag light

Feel free to use it Scousefella, note copyright however.:D
  18. BigRed

Air bag light

The system tests the firing mechanism, the sensors and the integrity of the interconnecting wiring. Intermittent flashing lights indicate a fault - with safety aids this should be looked at as a matter of urgency. Don't risk it mate, sod's law is good at taking the p1ss.
  19. BigRed

Arrival of the 'R'

I had no problem with the CTR and stone chips - but then again, I don't sit close at all. In fact, I sit way back and only close in for the kill. WTF am I on about? My entire post should be past tense, I am an ex owner and can only overtake other agricultural machinery nowadays. :(
  20. BigRed

New buyer - assistance appreciated!

Get a FSH. Check out the common faults and ensure they don't apply. DO NOT under any circumstances by a red or black one on a facelift with the biscuit tin lights - hideous.;) Don't rush, there's loads out there. Once you have one, enjoy it - they are great fun.
  21. BigRed

ctr engine noise

Sorry, but that has to be an attempt at humour. It wasn't a vid, it was a blackboard:D
  22. BigRed

FN2 Why aren't there.......

Comparitively speaking.......yes.:p
  23. BigRed

FN2 Why aren't there.......

It's odd this whole FN2 thing. The more I see them about, the less I like them and that seems backwards to me. Sorry FN2 owners but the thing just ain't pretty. Maybe if I drive one.......
  24. BigRed

FN2 Heavy Braking = Light Back End !

I agree with the other EP3 boys, back end going light and a bit of squirming under braking was the norm. Looks like the new porkier (and slower);) FN2 is at it too.
  25. BigRed

Sold up

I too went for a Focus, not the performance beast, unless you count a tractor as a performance model. Anyway, well screwed together, much better paintwork that the Honda and (fingers crossed) no bother yet. Oh yeh, it does over 50 MPG too. Do I miss the Honda, of course I do - I loved it and...
  26. BigRed

FN2 regrets

My tractor tdci makes me feel wealthy if a little bored.:p
  27. BigRed

Any idea of a price?

Trade in against a Tractor:D
  28. BigRed

Any idea of a price?

My 53 Red standard CTR (excellent condition) 40K Miles went for £8600. Gives you an idea I suppose.
  29. BigRed

Air Con

If the gas is low, the compressor should still run. It is mag clutch activated which is dependent upon ambient temp (as sensed) and temp selector position in the car. Maybe the gas is so low that the compressor is turning but is not 'loaded'. Can you here the mag clutch engage as you hit the...
  30. BigRed

Civic bashing on the 350z forums...

Christ, do these knobbers go on or what. WTF is a Neeeeson anyway, these boys NEED to realise that they are just driving Datsuns. A Taxi in a party frock.:lol:
  31. BigRed

FN2 Anybody had a little play with a FN2 with a older type-r yet?

Can't see the FN2 beating the last one really. Same power, less pronounced high end power delivery and a fair bit more bulk. In the dry it should be bye bye newboy.
  32. BigRed

Driveshaft heatshield cost

I'm all for the throw it away option. Same as the daft headlight adjuster coffee grinder problem. Started groaning, set it to 0 setting and pulled the multiplug. No more problem! In the case of the heatshield, you should be able to reduce your acceleration times too, by about...
  33. BigRed

EP3 Workshop manual

Just getting it now - thanks (you know who you are!!)
  34. BigRed

EP3 Workshop manual

Tried what you said mate - no joy unfortunately. Couldn't locate the file. Cheers for trying though.:smt023
  35. BigRed

EP3 Workshop manual

None of these links work anymore - anyone got a reliable download please....pretty please?
  36. BigRed

FN2 Milano Red (GT) test drive pics!

Nice, but black looks the best I reckon.
  37. BigRed

FN2 It's done, it's run in.... ish

Like it in black. Like it a lot. Not keen on silver at all, but then again I wasn't on the old one either. Cosmic also looked a bit grandad to me so glad there ain't and FN2 option of that (?) Anyway, like I said - black looks great.
  38. BigRed

Most pointless mod ever?

:lol: Silliest 'mods' - I just got it:p
  39. BigRed

Most pointless mod ever?

Nah, those John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg engine bay sock thingies were the silliest mod I've ever seen.
  40. BigRed

New the Civic Type R

Nowt to worry about. Mine wanders around a bit on wobbly roads, it also has a rather curious habit of wandering all over the countryside if you take your eye off the ball.:D You don't need to be Schuey, but you do need to proper concentrate.
  41. BigRed

FN2 Old versus New

How is it a gimmick? Change of cam profiles, increase in torque and a jump in BHP? That's all you feel isn't it? If it's a gimmick, then I want more gimmicks. If I'd wanted smooth I'd have bought a V6 Mundano or something (and I would never - EVER do that:) )
  42. BigRed

FN2 Old versus New

Never understood that. The change in engine note and the step as the cam changes over is the R's party piece. Why would you want to lose it and substitute it for something all smooth and linear?
  43. BigRed

EP3 FN2 test drive thread

My Boss picks one up in a week, so I'll have to get a go and report back.
  44. BigRed

Rear bumper cost

My first accident had the insurers spraying it - it didn't last. The second one I ignored, the third one I nailed the dizzy bitch and she forked out for top and bottom bits - brand new and pre-painted.
  45. BigRed

FN2 Old versus New

I know it sounds like I'm just protecting the older CTR, but it really did look staged. It actualy looked like he was holding back. The new one didn't look as good either - looked a bit camp to me. Are Honda softening the brand yet again? Reckon so personally.
  46. BigRed

FN2 Milano Red (GT) test drive pics!

It was in the last one too.;)
  47. BigRed

update on algae and light adjuster probs

Mine failed just out of warranty. Grrrrrrrr:mad:
  48. BigRed

update on algae and light adjuster probs

Is that what you put it in for or something else? My headlight adjusters failed so I just set them at zero seting and disconnected them. Job done!
  49. BigRed

Rear wiper arm

If anyone else comes up against this - a puller is no go either. Should have spotted the rather obvious washer jet stopping me from doing that :oops: Anyhow, hacksaw, 10 miutes and it's off - new one one and working fine. The next spotty scrote comes anywhere near my car will die :twisted:
  50. BigRed

Just gone through 40,000 miles....

Er, I was near Sleaford Friday morning!! :shock: Why Ancaster?
  51. BigRed

Rear wiper arm

Cheers, I tried that, this baby is well stuck on!! I will have another go soon, I've got a small puller set I can borrow from work too so one way or the other.......
  52. BigRed

Rear wiper arm

Nah, it's well on - wouldn't shift at all after removing the nut. May have a bit of corrosion going on maybe. This bad boy will not budge so may need to use a small puller. Must admit I was surprised that it wouldn't shift when the nut was removed. These things are sent to try us!!
  53. BigRed

Rear wiper arm

Thanks Dave, appreciate that. Also, are they a sod to get off, tried today and nothing doing. Removed the 12mm nut and tried all kinds - nowt doing. Might need a small puller to get it off the splines. Cheers again.
  54. BigRed

Just gone through 40,000 miles....

That's good advice - if you still enjoy the thing and it meets your needs, then keep it. You'd be hard pressed to find another marque with similar longevity. Mine gets better and better, now on 48K. Goes like the clappers, uses next to no oil (unless I'm ragging it all day) and still...
  55. BigRed

Rear wiper arm

Anyone know how much I am looking at from Honda for the whole rear wiper arm? Mine is snapped thanks to some vile f**kpig that has nothing in his or her life but jealousy :x
  56. BigRed

Help Identifying a Headlight

Seemed cheap to me when they said I must admit. Nevertheless, I went for the cheaper otion. Unplug, tie back - job done. :lol:
  57. BigRed

Honda say they're only £60 :shock:
  58. BigRed

Honda said no to my out of warranty claim so I've whipped off the connector. No more twittering, chattering headlight motors, just set 'em to the 0 position and disconnected it. Happy days.
  59. BigRed

I'm guessing that the blue connector is the headlight adjuster motor connection? Mine are playing up - out of warranty too. I'm asking Honda to do them free anyway but if not, it's disconnection time. Who needs em anyway. :wink:
  60. BigRed

First MOT looming

Most dealers will do it for nowt or reduced rate if you agree to a service with them.
  61. BigRed

Bruised

Just had my rear bumper and bottom tray replaced after some dizzy bint crashed into me again! Make sure yer insurers don't go for a spray bay option, new parts from Honda is the only way.
  62. BigRed

Three Years Of Ownership 8)

Just over 3 years for me and I enjoy it as much as the day I got it. Just did a 260 mile hop down the A1 after Xmas/NY and it reminded me why I got it. High speed pick up is still superb, from 80 - ?? there's not too much even coming close, even staying in 6th cog. The downsides of...
  63. BigRed

Blocked Washers

I had a blocked front jet, I took the hose off from under the bonnet and popped the jet out of the bonnet. Soaked it in hot soapy water, blew through them backwards and it's been fine ever since. Should be similar for the back one I would think.
  64. BigRed

No Vtec

I am not sure whether the ability to Vtec is based upon coolant temperature (as well as other stuff), but if it is - it would make perfect sense. Coolant temp is directly linked to overall engine temp and it would be very simple for the action of the control solenoid to be linked to this temp...
  65. BigRed

Your tyre reviews

Me too mate - well impressed with them.
  66. BigRed

CTR vs GTI mkV

Met one briefly as he was trying to get in my boot through a built up area. As we enterd the open road he stepped out to 'destroy' me. Unfortunately for captain presumptuous, from 30 to ??? MPH this completely boggo CTR put some serious distance betwen itself and the Golf. Surprisingly...
  67. BigRed

Help needed

Cell damage occurs when the battery is held below end point voltage - cell capapcity is then reduced. Trust me, it is a part of my job and has been for feckin yonks :lol: more boring info on the subject... http://www.bigginhill.co.uk/batteries.htm
  68. BigRed

Help needed

You may be lucky mate, but if well flattened it will be damaged and will fall on its hoop come the minus figures. Good luck anyway.
  69. BigRed

Car's been keyed :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

Bastards, I hope they get a slow, terminal illness. Hope you get sorted soon (or find and slay the twats).
  70. BigRed

Strange Vibrating/hissing sound

Cruising along and stationary :lol: ???
  71. BigRed

Help needed

If it has been completely discharged, it will have sustained damage and should be replaced. The first cold snaps always claim a few batteries if they are weak. Just the way it goes.
  72. BigRed

Just had 2nd service..question??

More likely the battery connections have been off and your ecu was relearning.
  73. BigRed

FN2 Milano Red 07 CTR

Unfortunately, no from me. I can't see me buying this. In short, the existing CTR is WAY better looking, offers the same performance, has better gearing, less bloat and isn't likely to cost me 20k.
  74. BigRed

CTR lights! help needed ( PICS incl)

Mate, if it is because of their f**kup, get the autosparks report and bill the accident repairers.
  75. BigRed

CTR lights! help needed ( PICS incl)

I would bet some serious cash that they have cocked up an earth connection with overspray or they have not connected a chassis earth. This is a classic earth problem where the supply will backfeed through coupled loads.
  76. BigRed

What's my car worth?

I thought you were asking a bit much but then I realised that you have spoon socks :lol: :wink:
  77. BigRed

Loose top mount :shock:

Hmmmm, would that be finger tight or flipping tight or f***ing tight? :lol:
  78. BigRed

Loose top mount :shock:

Mine were done by the stealer too as part of a servicing. Wonder what the correct torque settings are though??
  79. BigRed

Flat battery

Defo a new one, once it goes past end point voltage (and 0 volts is way past that!), the battery is effectively bolloxed and unrecoverable. As a rule of thumb about 3 years is a good innings for a standard battery anyway.
  80. BigRed

A bit of maths...

Would be interesting to see the results of a dyno run or two, before and after. Oh yeh, and a sound clip too :!:
  81. BigRed

Gear Selection?

I fluffed a change (only once) :oops: but it was at around 8k rpm as I misjudged my clutch timing, hideous noise but the box is OK. If I stripped it though I bet I could point at that unfortunate incident recorded forever in the face of a ratio!
  82. BigRed

Bloody pen marks

I found this on my brake reservoir the other day, following a service. Maybe, like was said earlier, this is an indication to the bay techies that an area has been done? Mine was a rather unobtrusive blue dot but I spotted it anyway. Then again, I would spot an ants left knacker if it was...
  83. BigRed

USA Honda Civic Si Coupe. Will it come to England ??

Very nice looking motor, I would prefer that over the new R.
  84. BigRed

Osram Silverstars

Normal H4s for a 53 model.
  85. BigRed

Osram Silverstars

Bunged some in last week after being less than impressed when night driving with boggo halogens. I have to say that I am impressed with the difference, tried some Halfords jobbers way back and they were marginaly better than standard, these silverstars seem noticeably better - well impressed.
  86. BigRed

1st MOT Passed - sorry Scousefella

Worth the phonecall mate - spesh if you hint that you may go to another dealer!!
  87. BigRed

2 years old today!

What problems have you had with it mate - if any?
  88. BigRed

Like I said mate, Simhoward let me in on a small detail, namely that Lincs dealers will do MOTs free if you do your servicings there too. So I rang and asked and they said OK. The service is free because I had the inconvenience of losing my car because of a manufactring paint defect, so HUK...
  89. BigRed

In today, Grantham Honda service as faultless as usual - pass certificate in my grubby mitt :!: Cost? £0.00 thanks to a tip on here from Simhoward. Oh happy days. And my free 37.5 K servive booked in too, a good day at the office I reckon.
  90. BigRed

My CTR vs DC5 thread

What's the difference in performance figures CTR versus the various incarnations of the Teg?? Anyone know? Particularly 0-62 0-100 top speed
  91. BigRed

MOT Failed/Passed Retest!!!!! :shock: :( :)

You might have saved yourself a bob or two if you had utilised the Kurdish, eastern European or Iraqi approach. Immigrants don't bother with any of that MOT bollox, or insurance or tax for that matter and they get away with it no bother.
  92. BigRed

Whirling Sound From Engine?

No probs mate, you don't have to have the brains of a rocket scientist to relise that Mr Halfrauds provided full on biff advice. Each to their own but in the time (long time) :oops: I've been in engineering, it's never been deemed sound advice to grease/oil or lube things that explicitly...
  93. BigRed

OK then, I made it up for a laugh.
  94. BigRed

A teeny weeny squirt won't cause problems but WD40 is oil based (obviously :!: ) and it displaces water because of that quality. Over time, it will cause slipping and shorten belt life. Still, seems to have been ok in your case - just wouldn't do it regularly :wink:
  95. BigRed

Help Please....

Oh My, you are changing the old lights for the new biccy tins? :wink:
  96. BigRed

Smoke/mist coming from the vents

It's humidity related, sort of depends on what the weather is doing.
  97. BigRed

Drive belts are of rubberised and or nylon construction and rely on surface contact (friction) so as not to slip. Any lubricant will interfere with such surface friction. Also, oils rot rubbers and nylons. Most whirring noises are due to damp which quickly disappear when warmed up. Some...
  98. BigRed

Couldnt Get TRO!!

CTRO were laughing at TRO a few hours ago, now they are affected by a similar problem. This smells of hackery to me.
  99. BigRed

Under no circumstances put wd40 on drive belts, I nearly feinted reading that! It's like greasing a bearing with sand. Wear on alternator bearings at these ages is unlikely (not impossible), damp on a pulley can make a real noise until they dry off through use. Are these problems on cars...
  100. BigRed

MOT Failed/Passed Retest!!!!! :shock: :( :)

Thanks to Simhoward.... MOT now free with Grantham Honda if I have it serviced by them (I do anyway!!) AND this service is free anyway because Honda UK are picking up the bill. Result and cheers mate :smt023
Back