• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Topjacket

Exhaust Manifold Replacement EP3

Thanks very much for the replies. Really appreciate it. Ended up going to Honda as it’s about a 2 minute walk from me so is convenient. They said they would check it as part of a health check so didn’t charge the £94 they were going to. It is as you suggested a gasket and one of the springs...
  2. Topjacket

Exhaust Manifold Replacement EP3

Hello I have blow coming from my exhaust which kwik fit have been unable to see on the ramp (seeing it myself, the exhaust looks in pretty good condition). This makes me think it must be the exhaust manifold as its the only bit I can't see. The blow fades after about 10 mins unless its under...
  3. Topjacket

Should I go for a Genuine Knock Sensor?

Hi Again Does anyone know what parts (if any) need to be replaced when the inlet manifold is removed. For example is there a gasket kit I would need to order? Thanks Jim
  4. Topjacket

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated as allways. I think you are right in that spending the extra is worth it in the long run. I often have a crack at doing things myself but have booked it in to be done by a non-Honda garage as it looks like a pig of a job! @flashy, yes, Honda...
  5. Topjacket

Hello The Engine Management light came on in my 55 plate EP3 the other day. I did a scan with my cheap bluetooth code reader and got a P0325 code back. After reading online that it is a knock sensor but could also flag up with this code if the car was low on fuel, I filled up and reset the...
  6. Topjacket

Alternator Problem or something else?

Hello Thanks Chris I have just heard back from the garage and they have confirmed that the alternator is the cause of the problem. They have quoted £80 to fit a new one (which seemed a good price to me) and £150 for the part. Does anyone have a view on which alternator is best to go for? I can...
  7. Topjacket

Thanks Chris The battery is only 2 years old, do you still think it could be that? I'll defo have a go instead of the alternator if you think it could be. Cheers Jim
  8. Topjacket

Hi All The misses was driving the 55 plate CTR to work this morning, while sat in traffic the car stalled (just by itself :D) the battery light stayed on and the car would not restart. She eventually managed to bump start it and it hasn't died since. I have now tested the battery and it...
  9. Topjacket

Headlight restoration

Hi I have just used a kit by Philips which claims to protect from UV for 12 months. It is all done by hand so no need for drill attachments. I'm pretty happy with the results..... http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HRK00XM/headlight-restoration-kit
  10. Topjacket

EP3 Battery light on, headlights dimming at lower revs

Thanks Both, I really appreciate you coming back to me. I think I will just get myself a new ELD to make sure as they seem cheap and easy to change. My other car definitely doesn't do this so it does make me think something isn't 100% right. Cheers Jim
  11. Topjacket

Thanks Eddie Is there a way of checking the ELD or would it just be a case of changing it and seeing if that fixes the problem? Cheers Jim
  12. Topjacket

The instrument panel does dip but doesn't seem as extreme as the headlights. The heater fans are also affected.
  13. Topjacket

Hi mate. Thanks for coming back to me. When everything was on, full beam, heater, radio, it was reading 13.7. When it was just idling without anything else it was reading 14.4. Cheers Jim
  14. Topjacket

Hi all About 2 months ago the battery light came on in my 55 Plate EP3. It was on every time I drove the car. Then around 2 weeks later the light just went off and has not been back on since. When the light was on I tested the battery with a multimeter both when the engine was and wasn't...
  15. Topjacket

EP3 Disable Passenger Airbag?

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
  16. Topjacket

EP3 Disable Passenger Airbag?

Hello All I have tried searching and looking through the hand book but cant see anything (which I suspect answers my question). Is it possible to disable the passenger airbag on the EP3?? Thanks in advance for any help Cheers Jim
  17. Topjacket

Need to replace 3 Tyres, but 4th tyre is an RE040

Hi All I have always had the standard RE040's on my EP3 but as they are no longer made I am undecided as to what to do. I got a puncture in one of my rear tyres about 3 months ago but had a spare RE040 and so had that fitted. This now leaves me with 3 old RE040's that need replacing. How much...
  18. Topjacket

2005 ep3 cut out

Thanks very much Loxy. I will get the battery checked and see what's happening. Yes, the burning smell wasn't a great addition to the situation! I'll re-post when I find out what's going on, in case anyone else has the same problem. Cheers Jim
  19. Topjacket

2005 ep3 cut out

Hello all Seasons greetings! Well, after 165,000 pretty much flawless miles in my 2005 ep3, I have had my first ever breakdown. I was turning into a parking space and as I turned the wheel the abs light started flickering and the radio cut out. I stopped turning the wheel and the problem went...
  20. Topjacket

2005 Ep3 rear abs bracket

Hello all Got my car back from its mot today. It passed but did have some advisories, including "rear windows tinted"!!! Another advisory was "both rear abs brackets insecure". I changed my discs and pads earlier this year but have to say I don't know what the abs brackets are. Is this...
  21. Topjacket

Klarius Exhaust Parts

Hi Mate Sorry for the very late reply and thanks for the suggestion (I hadn’t thought of that). Because of time I wasn’t able to get one from a breaker so ended up going for the Klarius one from Euro car Parts. Looks-wise it is the same as the original part and so far seems to be...
  22. Topjacket

Klarius Exhaust Parts

Morning all I trust today finds you well..... My exhaust has been blowing for a while so I have been researching what sort of cat back system to get that would not create loads of noise but at the same time would not make the car feel like it was breathing through a Capri sun straw...
  23. Topjacket

Spongy brakes after rear calipers off

Cheers moltenice Unless a brake fluid flush is part of any of the Honda service intervals I have never had it done. In which case its well overdue as I'm on nearly 160k miles. You should notice a massive difference with all your brake work.
  24. Topjacket

Thanks very much for the replies. I have now booked it in to have a full brake fluid flush. I am hoping it is just air. I was getting concerned that I could have caused an issue with another part of the brake system by having the calipers off. I did crimp the brake lines though.
  25. Topjacket

Hello All I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have replaced the pistons on the 2 rear calipers of my EP3 (I then found out that one of the bleed nipples was completely seized so had to replace one of my newly rebuilt calipers with a reconditioned one from brakeparts, which was fun. Lesson –...
  26. Topjacket

Removing a rear caliper on EP3

Thanks biff. I ended up removing the 2 bolts either side of the handbrake cable rubber. It made it just slack enough to get the cable off. As you say, you do need to be careful not to wreck the rubbers.
  27. Topjacket

Removing a rear caliper on EP3

Hello All Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of a 'how to' to remove the handbrake part of the rear caliper on an EP3? I have changed discs and pads before but I am using a caliper rebuild kit so need to get it off the car. I have searched the 'how to' section and someone...
  28. Topjacket

Crush Washers for Transmission Oil Change

Nice one! Thanks very much for the helpful reply Jim
  29. Topjacket

Crush Washers for Transmission Oil Change

Hi All Just wondering if anyone knows what size crush washer(s) are required for a transmission oil change on a 2005 EP3. From pictures I can't tell if there is a washer on both the drain and fill holes or just one of them. I just don't want to take it off to find out what I need!! Cheers Jim
  30. Topjacket

Spark Plugs - Genuine Honda vs Others

That's great. Thanks very much the help Jim
  31. Topjacket

Thanks stoneyni So if my plugs were the NGK OEM ones would they be identical to the non-company spesific NGK Iridiums? Thanks again Jim
  32. Topjacket

Hi All I have done a fair bit of searching but can’t find the answer, so, sorry if this has been asked before. When changing spark plugs people seem to be recommending NGK Iridium IFR7G-11KS. Are these recommended because they are better than the original Honda or because they are cheaper…… or...
  33. Topjacket

Removing a stuck a front disc

Thanks very much for the replies people. I finally managed to get it off after finding a great technique on tinterent. I have pasted the link to the YouTube video but in case it ever gets taken off I thought I would let you know what I did so hopefully it will help someone else...
  34. Topjacket

Removing a stuck a front disc

Hi All Sorry I wasn't sure if I should ask a question here or if it was just reserved for posts from people who DO know how to do something!! Anyway, after taking what seems like a month to remove the 2 b*****d screws on the disc I thought I was home and hosed, however, I can’t get the disc...
  35. Topjacket

Amplifier from tablet to standard speakers

Cheers D4N H Yeah I did see that ( http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?79844-Ep3-iPad-install&highlight=ipad+install ), very impressive looking. He has taken the digital signal from his ipad but I think I am going to have to stick to analogue from the headphone socket because...
  36. Topjacket

Thanks NYA That sounds really interesting. Is it on the www.itr-dc5.com/forum/ site? I couldn't find anyone with that username. I don’t suppose you have a link do you? It sounds exactly what I am trying to achieve. Cheers
  37. Topjacket

Thanks Ed I'm starting to think new speakers are the way to go. Any recommendations for a cheap set that would give a good improvement but not require mods to fit?
  38. Topjacket

I am waiting for the tablet to arrive at the moment, it should come this week. It's android and it looks like there are few apps available that will set the tablet up to be easy to use in a car e.g. Large icons and only basic options for when the car is moving. but i am going to have a mess...
  39. Topjacket

Thanks for the reply Jermal I can see where you are coming from, the main reason for attempting the project is to be able to have a tablet with many features (mp3 player, radio, tv, sat nav, engine management info, etc) that can be easily removed from the dash. The sound quality isn't a major...
  40. Topjacket

Hi all I am currently working on replacing my standard headunit with a tablet installed in the dash. My intention is to keep the standard speakers, run a cable from the headphone jack to an amp and then out to the speakers. Can anyone tell me if this 4 channel amp would work with the...
  41. Topjacket

Nexus 7 tablet as a headunit

Thanks very much for the replies. I really appreciate it. I just need to wait for this 4 pin charger thing to go on sale now (it seems to have been a long time coming) As it sounds like people might be interested in the results of this I will keep things updated as I progress.
  42. Topjacket

Thanks Doodle Is the reason for the crap signal because of the cable or the roof aerial? Just wondering if it would be possible to change either of these so I could keep it all looking standard on the outside? Cheers Jim
  43. Topjacket

Seasons greetings all If you only want to read my question it is in the second to last paragraph...... I just thought it might be good to have some context. I have always liked the idea of having a car computer to replace my standard head unit. Originally I thought of having a laptop...
  44. Topjacket

Metallic Sound at Slow speeds and Over Bumps

Thanks anyway D4N H Sorry for the late reply (been away on holiday). Ended up taking it into the garage who told and showed me that it was the rear disks and pads. Had them replaced the other day and everything is great again. I just didn't think it would have been the brakes as they didn't...
  45. Topjacket

Thanks D4N H but my car hasn't been lowered, it is completely standard. Cheers Jim
  46. Topjacket

Hi All My Ep3 as developed a strange noise, just wondering from this description if anyone has an idea of what it could be....... It sounds a bit like squeaky brakes but the closest thing I think it sounds like is when a train is going slowly and changing tracks and you get a metallic noise...
  47. Topjacket

The Official Dyno Chart Thread - NO CHAT

Dyno Run on standard 55 EP3 with 135k on the clock. MODEL OF CAR - EP3 Type R 2005 MILEAGE COVERED - 135k FLYWHEEL BHP - 212.6BHP DYNO MANUFACTURER -Not sure, done at TDI North MODIFICATIONS -None
  48. Topjacket

Advice on stopping sub in boot moving

This may sound like it wouldn't work but I had a bass tube in my pug 306 gti for over a year, held in place (also with some pretty spirited driving) just by sitting it on a cheap rubber car floor mat. Someone suggested it to me and I thought it would never work but it really didn't move an inch...
  49. Topjacket

Tail pipes turning gold

Cheers guys. It sounds like it is just something that happens then. I was wondering if it was because I had been given a cheap part. The picture doesn’t really show how bad it is but I will give the metal polish a go, thanks Shaenei. Seems strange that this never happened in 125000 miles on...
  50. Topjacket

Tail pipes turning gold

Hello Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. I have recently had a new backbox fitted on my ep3 and after around 200 miles the tail pipes have started turning gold. The back box was replaced after the previous one was damaged in a crash. I’m not sure what make or model it is as...
  51. Topjacket

Any idea of companies who would cover...

Hi Not sure if you have had to renew yet, I'm with Esure and they have been the cheapest for me for the last 2 years but I think insurance companies seem to have such specific profiles of who they will give cheap quotes to that it’s hardly ever the same for others. I have high excess which...
  52. Topjacket

Induction and insurance...

Hi Frag Not sure if you have seen this site before (sorry if it’s old news) http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/ you can put your job title in and it will give you a similar job title that has lower risk. I think some of the comparison sites might even do...
  53. Topjacket

Insurance and HPI Checks

Thanks Rossy I agree totally about the filler in the door and even though my car is a 2005 I would still push for the best fix possible it’s just the feeling that he is doing it for the cash that really pi55es me off. The first night he came round and said about the £200 fix his kids were...
  54. Topjacket

Insurance and HPI Checks

Cheers for the replies guys. The reason I asked about the HPI is that I was wondering if I would get screwed twice, once on the excess and then again when I tried to sell my car and it gets flagged up as having insurance work done on it. I have spoken to him about the cheaper option he...
  55. Topjacket

Insurance and HPI Checks

Hi All After 14 years of accident free driving I reversed out from my house and misjudged just how close my tosser of a neighbour had parked his car to the end of my driveway. I know I still shouldn’t have hit it but it does annoy me the fact that he parks opposite my drive so he can have his...
  56. Topjacket

What is the age and mileage of your CTR?

55 plate (20th December), 108,000 miles. best car I've ever owned!!
  57. Topjacket

Not quite sure what's wrong!

Hi Not sure about the Vtec bit but my girlfriend's clio was making strange noises. At first it also sounded like the exhaust was blowing at the back of the car but when I drove it i noticed that the noise got slightly worse when I turned left and got better when I turned right. That turned...
  58. Topjacket

insurance company won't insure me this year!! help

Hi Mate Not sure if you know but you can get excess insurance now, it wouldn't cover the 3k you mentioned but I found this one that will insure up to £750. http://www.insure4excess.com/ there are other companies that do this so you may be able to find one who would insure higher amounts...
  59. Topjacket

Repairing pulls in Recaros :(

Hi Not sure if you have managed to sort this yet but this is the best I could do with mine. Anoyingly this pic is on the passenger seat so it was a mate who did it to my seat. I took a needle and put a bit of a bend in it, then pushed the needle into the seat at one of the end of the pull...
  60. Topjacket

Hi Scotttomo I have always taken it too Saunders bar 1 service when I took it to Two mills...

Hi Scotttomo I have always taken it too Saunders bar 1 service when I took it to Two mills. The customer service has got loads better there (had a fall out with them when it was under warrenty and they tried to charge me £20 for something that was clearly a fault, hence the 1 Two Mills visit)...
  61. Topjacket

55 plate EP3 100K Service

Thanks very much for the replies guys. Cheers Joe, I have always heard very good things about TDI so may well take a trip up there.
  62. Topjacket

55 plate EP3 100K Service

Evening All Picked up my civic today from its 100K service and for the first time since new the profit making "Honda Health Check Sheet" actually has a few things on it. The worst I have had up until now are bulbs, wiper blades and worn breaks. But the following not so small jobs have...
  63. Topjacket

Headlights keep blowing!!!!

Just got it back now............. I had it confirmed just how much id been ripped off when I arrived and they were washing it!!! and they gave me the rear bulb for "free". I would nomally have done this myself but wondered if either me fitting them in the past or the halfords crap bulbs were...
  64. Topjacket

Just got "the call" from Honda, they said they checked the electrics and found no problems. They recon that the bulbs might have just gone one by one and I didn't notice until both my headlights went. 3 bulbs in the front is going to cost £50!! :eek: They also told me that one of the...
  65. Topjacket

Will do mate.
  66. Topjacket

That is exactley what happend to me, had the car from new, bulbs must have lasted 2-3 years and then when I replaced them the longest one has ever lasted must be a 4 months. Booked into the dealership this morning so will see what happens. I would bloody love the HID conversion but is that...
  67. Topjacket

Strange, I was just about to put a simalar post on here. Set off from South Wales this afternoon when it went dark I realised that both my headlights had gone and one of my side lights. I ended up driving all the way back to Chester with my full beams on!!! I just rubbed mud on the outside...
  68. Topjacket

Dashboard

Nice one, thanks for that.
  69. Topjacket

Dashboard

Oh well, worth a try. Thanks for your response. Anyone know if this is the sort of thing these invisible fix companies could do or is it more for seats and other fabric? Cheers Jim
  70. Topjacket

Dashboard

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I knew it was a crap description but could think how else to describe it! I have just got a pic off tinternet and put a red line around the bit I'm talking about (hopefully it is attched) It looks like it might be separate to the rest of the dash so just wondered if...
  71. Topjacket

Dashboard

Hello. On the dashboard of the EP3 (and maybe others) it seems to be made of 2 types of plastic. 1 normal type and another on top which covers the dials section which in my opinion looks slightly better quality. I hope that description makes sense!! I’m not sure if it even does to me...
  72. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Just been for a drive after the 75000 mile service. Told honda that the brakes were being replaced and so the only thing they could find wrong apart from that was that the wheels needed balancing!!! Good old kwik Fit appear to have charged me 20 buff to do nothing. Honda wanted £490 for...
  73. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Yeah! All pumped up fine. Just had a long drive down to Bath and deffo starting to think that its not just the brakes. Doesn't feel too good on corners. (It might sound strange but the problem seems to be worse if I have just been on a long bend like a motorway slip road) Just have to wait and...
  74. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Taking it in to the garage next week. As for the typres, they are Potenzas all round and the oldest ones have only done about 6K. I had the problem before taking it for the wheel balancing and after so I assume the wheels are on properly.:lol:
  75. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Woud it not vibrate if the disks were warped though? Also with the ebay Mintex discs and Pads...... do the pads need much warming up? I had Red Stuff for a while on the front but because I do loads of motorway driving they never seemed to get warmed up and always felt a bit dull. dont recon I...
  76. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

:D Oh yeah!!! one of those night tracks!!!
  77. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Thanks for all the replies. How much does a CV joint cost to replace?? There seem to be a lot of no-brand discs on ebay.........has anyone got any thoughts/experience of them? Thanks again Jim
  78. Topjacket

Not Good Vibrations

Hello there. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following:- When I get up to around 100mph (on closed roads of course!) I start to get vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Also, when I brake from this sort of speed (no matter how lightly I press the brake) I feel vibrations...
  79. Topjacket

EP3 How Many EP3 Type R's

So does that mean they are numbered sequentially? :confused:
  80. Topjacket

MPG - what's your personal best?

I have got 330 out of a tank a fair few times.... Not a fan of the driving past petrol station game...I only ever put V-power in mine (its her favorite :D ) was stuck in the middle of nowhere a few weeks ago with the petrol light on telling myself there would be a Shell soon. ended up having to...
  81. Topjacket

Some f**kers keyed my car,

Gutted for you mate......I always park my car miles away from any other cars in a car park so some tosser doesn't open their door into mine but you can't do anything about these jealous Fu*k wits who see a nice car and key it because their sh*t little lives will never allow them to own a decent...
  82. Topjacket

Cheers for that.....Yeah I had read that 35000 were made but mine is number 39964 and so wondered what was going on!!!
  83. Topjacket

Hello Does anyone know how many of previous shape type r's were made. I know it may seem a strange question but I have a high badge number and would like to know how close it is to being the last one. It is a late 55 plate and I have only ever seen 2 06 plate ones. Thanks in advance Jim
Back